FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

turbo oil return, what kind of pump???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PappyDan
that means new headders, new exhaust.

i can save myself a **** load by having a twin turbo system in the rear like the sts vett set up.

all i have to do is cut the pipes, weld on the flanges, and run the air up to the intercooler.
all i need is a way to send the oil back up to the motor.
Cheaper than a new motor?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by PappyDan
it would'nt be such a problem if i had a way to cool the oil.
then i could use a cheap fuel pump to send the warm oil back to the motor.
You should be looking for a better pump, although the pump in kb's link looks pretty good to me, not a worse one.
Does anybody make belt driven, or camshaft driven oil pumps for the LS engine? Like the circle track guys use?
That would be more reliable than any electric pump, you would just have to run an additional oil line for suction back to the turbo.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Cheaper than a new motor?
MOST NORMAL people would notice 6+ quarts of oil being shoved out the exhaust, not to mention the oil alarm in the STS kit...
Old 01-26-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've thought about this also. If I were doing a rear mount I would probably try and do a complete remote oiling system for it. A tank with pumps and cooling mounted in the bed or frame rails. If it fails then you loose the turbo. Didn't look real hard but did find some stand alone systems.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
I've thought about this also. If I were doing a rear mount I would probably try and do a complete remote oiling system for it. A tank with pumps and cooling mounted in the bed or frame rails. If it fails then you loose the turbo. Didn't look real hard but did find some stand alone systems.
I've thought about that as well, but you still are reliying on a oil pump of sorts... My STS pump has been trouble free for three plus years now...
Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Ya know, I was thinking about this and in my opinion, people who have lost engines because the the STS electric oil pump failed for what ever reason, it's there OWN fault. STS puts an alarm on it for a reason, just like GM puts an oil pressure gauge and warning system in the truck. You say your alarm didn't work? Then you must not have hooked it up right or it fail and you didn't pay attention. Saying an oil return pump blow up my engine is not a good excuse to me, that's like saying my engine oil pressure gauge didn't work and my drain plug fell out and my engine blow up. It's all GM's fault for not building a engine that can't run without oil...
Old 01-26-2009, 02:13 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Ya know, I was thinking about this and in my opinion, people who have lost engines because the the STS electric oil pump failed for what ever reason, it's there OWN fault. STS puts an alarm on it for a reason, just like GM puts an oil pressure gauge and warning system in the truck. You say your alarm didn't work? Then you must not have hooked it up right or it fail and you didn't pay attention. Saying an oil return pump blow up my engine is not a good excuse to me, that's like saying my engine oil pressure gauge didn't work and my drain plug fell out and my engine blow up. It's all GM's fault for not building a engine that can't run without oil...
so you are telling me that I hooked the pump, alarm, and everything that goes with it wrong? I am virtually positive I have installed more sts, kits than most and have not had one alarm quit working.

Now, that being said I could not hear the alarm over my stereo in the truck, and it was night time. So who knows how long it was before I noticed it.

I will take any system that is fool proof over that *** turbo any day of the week.

Bottom line, a **** poor designed system, a **** poor alarm, and **** poor customer service when I asked if they would warranty the pump and they told me no.

out one pump 200 bucks and one motor 4000. NEXT.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
so you are telling me that I hooked the pump, alarm, and everything that goes with it wrong? I am virtually positive I have installed more sts, kits than most and have not had one alarm quit working.

Now, that being said I could not hear the alarm over my stereo in the truck, and it was night time. So who knows how long it was before I noticed it.

I will take any system that is fool proof over that *** turbo any day of the week.

Bottom line, a **** poor designed system, a **** poor alarm, and **** poor customer service when I asked if they would warranty the pump and they told me no.

out one pump 200 bucks and one motor 4000. NEXT.
I don't want to start a pissin match BC but what about the low oil level light, then the low oil pressure waring system and no oil pressure on the gauge that you should have see on your dash? There should have been no oil starving on your engine until it was COMPLETELY out of oil...

It's not an oil pumps fault you had the stereo cranked and were not paying attention
Old 01-26-2009, 02:33 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by kbracing96

It's not an oil pumps fault you had the stereo cranked and were not paying attention
No, but it is the **** poor design of the rear mounted turbo system. Like I said I would rather have a well designed, thought-out system such as a front mount turbo.....or even a (OMG) Magna Charger Radix system.

No pissing match, simple deal......the return pump is the weak link in the sts system. Watching / listening for the alarm system is just plain stupid, and if I had known from the get go that this was going to be an issue I would have NEVER installed the STS on my truck. PERIOD.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Some great points here. I wonder if an idiot light like a shift light or something might be another alternative for fair warning of a failure. Need something else so it's also "Fool proof". I had my low pressure warning go off and my local mechanic never did figure out why. So I just picked up my truck. Still don't know the outcome yet.

Quick Reply: turbo oil return, what kind of pump???