FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

tune affect boost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im going to have to disagree with some here... after i did my trans and cam swap i lost a crap ton of boost( from 11# down to like 3# ) but my tune was F'ed to say the lest like REAL bad couldnt even hit full rpms. so depending on how bad your tune is it could effect it. how old is your blower? could need a refresh maybe , i know they are known to be rebuilt allot.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idahoblkss
im going to have to disagree with some here... after i did my trans and cam swap i lost a crap ton of boost( from 11# down to like 3# ) but my tune was F'ed to say the lest like REAL bad couldnt even hit full rpms. so depending on how bad your tune is it could effect it. how old is your blower? could need a refresh maybe , i know they are known to be rebuilt allot.
I can hit top rpm no problem there. It was refreshed last summer and put a new belt in it this summer.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

belt slip maybe?
Old 09-24-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Crank pinned?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

new belt and tight so i don't believe its that. No pinned crank, what does that do?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tweeder
new belt and tight so i don't believe its that. No pinned crank, what does that do?
Pinned crank keeps you balancer from spinning on the crank since there is not a key in them. I would check that and see if your crank bolt is even still tight.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bottom line is how is your truck performing? Is running any different than when you were able to hit 8lbs? If not, you may have a simpler issue. Mine fell off to where it was only showing 4 to 5lbs and I was like what the hell is going on and started down the same path of checking everything and what I found was the rubber boot on the end of the line for my Autometer gauge had deteriorated where it attached to my vacuum port and was leaking boost and just getting an incorrect reading.

And yes, when trying to push that amount of boost, I would definitely pin the balancer.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1Bear
Bottom line is how is your truck performing? Is running any different than when you were able to hit 8lbs? If not, you may have a simpler issue. Mine fell off to where it was only showing 4 to 5lbs and I was like what the hell is going on and started down the same path of checking everything and what I found was the rubber boot on the end of the line for my Autometer gauge had deteriorated where it attached to my vacuum port and was leaking boost and just getting an incorrect reading.

And yes, when trying to push that amount of boost, I would definitely pin the balancer.
Ever since I got the leaks fixed, it's runnin like a dog off the line. I floor it and it's holding back, I have to let off and ease into it. For your boost leak, did it show on a pressure leak sow test? Mine holds boost from the supercharger right through.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why dont you just log your boost through HP Tuners? Have you pressure tested your your system for leaks? Sounds like it falls on its face when you go WOT which makes me think you have a tune issue. However if your spinning the balancer on the crank I could see this happening if your tune is set up to fuel for high boost but your only making two or three lbs. Do you have access to a wideband?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
Why dont you just log your boost through HP Tuners? Have you pressure tested your your system for leaks? Sounds like it falls on its face when you go WOT which makes me think you have a tune issue. However if your spinning the balancer on the crank I could see this happening if your tune is set up to fuel for high boost but your only making two or three lbs. Do you have access to a wideband?
I tried quite a while ago to log boost through hp and all I got was errors and gave up. Should give it a go again. I just re-tested the system and it has a very slow leak, it takes just under a min to bleed off 10 lbs. Yeah it falls on it's face at WOT. I could mark the pulley to see if it's moving. I am running a wideband. I was always in the 11's before the leaks were fixed and now i'm in the low 10's possibly 9's as it only goes to 10.0.

Quick Reply: tune affect boost?