FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Making a MP112 run cooler.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a MP112 run cooler.

So I have dual heat exchangers and one has a fan on it. Before the fan I would run about 20-22* above ambient. With the fan I run 18-20* above ambient. Now the while cruising on the highway. In the city it does stay cooler and the temp drops faster with the fan than it did with out it. I called magnacharger yesterday and asked about upgrading the Bosch pump. They told me that the Bosch pump flowing @5-6gpm was the best. If I went up in gpm that the water would absorb the heat out. I have been looking and the lightning guys are running a 20gpm pump. Is anyone running a different pump? Also is there a limitation to the Maggie intercooler? If I where to remove the stock Maggie heat exchanger and add a ctsv one and leave my second one with the fan along with a more gpm pump, will my cursing temps drop more than what I am at now? I also noticed that with addition of the fan when I wot it the temp rise is slower than before.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember reading that if your pump moves the water too fast, it isn't as effective at transferring the heat out of the supercharger. I went to home depot and got some of that foam pipe insulation and wrapped my hose from the h/e to the s/c with it, I don't know if that did anything, but it only cost $4 and I feel like it helps keep the underhood temps from heating the hose up.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:13 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

trever1t uses the ctsv heat exchanger with his blower
Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Atomic
trever1t uses the ctsv heat exchanger with his blower
I gots one too, but you have to do a good amount of trimming the back side of your grill to squeeze it in there, and fab up a bottom bracket, the truck top mounting bracket should work (I didn't have one so we fabbed one of those up too). But on the plus side, a 40k cooler fits nicely in between the h/e and radiator.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Lightning guys use huge pumps and move the water fast, but are using ice alot of time. There IC is thick but a double pass and not real wide. And were limiting the power the L's could make. Tell our new single pass was built.
The IC wants the coldest water possible and as much as possible. The greater the temp difference the faster heat will transfer. The colder the water the more heat can be absord. The HX needs the water to hang around so the air can pull the heat out of it. You have two different means of absorbing the heat. the IC is using water, the HX is using air. Since its a complete system you have to match your pump to the HX. Increasing the water flow could hurt your performance; because the water is going through the HX to fast. But since you have dual exchanges the water is staying in there longer already.

"hotrodding is a puzzle what works for one may not work for another."
Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Lightning guys use huge pumps and move the water fast, but are using ice alot of time. There IC is thick but a double pass and not real wide. And were limiting the power the L's could make. Tell our new single pass was built.
The IC wants the coldest water possible and as much as possible. The greater the temp difference the faster heat will transfer. The colder the water the more heat can be absord. The HX needs the water to hang around so the air can pull the heat out of it. You have two different means of absorbing the heat. the IC is using water, the HX is using air. Since its a complete system you have to match your pump to the HX. Increasing the water flow could hurt your performance; because the water is going through the HX to fast. But since you have dual exchanges the water is staying in there longer already.

"hotrodding is a puzzle what works for one may not work for another."
perfectly stated.

DON'T increase that pump speed UNLESS you have more surface area that can be cooled on the HX side of things. And my opinion is it probably still wouldn't amount to much. Horrible cost to effectiveness ratio.

When I had the 112 on, I had 2 HX's and I gotta tell ya I got a cheap radiator for the primary (small version of a real radiator) and that made the biggest difference. Maybe the cheaper thinner fins helped. A fan is definitely a helper at low or non-existent vehicle speeds.

Keep in mind the 112 IAT sensor is placed and designed to give you some hot scenarios so there is always a "question" of how hot is too hot. I know some may argue with me on that, that's fine but I spent many of the hours tuning the IAT advance table trying to find that uncomfortable spot to start pulling timing. I know I know, the 112 is definitely a hot fugger, but way better compared to so many models before it. I think it's a great blower that just needs some nitrous to cool it down.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:11 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or the proper placement of say.... Phenolic's?

Works wonders for me.

I too am running 2 HX's, utilizing the stock Maggie equiped bosch pump.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I have done to keep my maggie intercooler cool. I installed a custom HEX that I designed, along with a 20gpm pump. The HEX is 2.5" think. The Maggie and CTSV HEX are only 7/8" thick. My pre-intercooler water is not hotter than 3 degrees over ambient temp. Photos below.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:43 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

^thats a pretty sweet setup

Similar question to this topic, would it be advantageous to run a larger coolant capacity? I was thinking it would in the beginning since there is more cool fluid, but the longer you are running the hotter it is going to get. This also means it is harder to cool since there is a lot more fluid.

Thoughts?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:54 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice Xchanger setup BadV10!

This has been discussed quite a bit. With the larger exchanger I cool down faster. A faster pump will not allow the coolant to give off it's heat. More coolant (larger tank) will take longer to heat but will retain heat longer. The big radiator above combined with the right flow will work well due to it's massive surface area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making a MP112 run cooler.