FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Introduction and another 4.8 turbo build...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and another 4.8 turbo build...

Hello,

Hey group just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jacob and I live in Kansas City, MO. I have always dreamed about having a bad a$$ sport truck and I came across a deal that I could not pass up. My fiance's grandfather passed away last month and as a result her grandmother is selling his 2000 Silverado RCSB w/4.8 and 4l60 3.73. It only has 76,000 babied miles and she is selling it for a "family discount" for $5000.

I have been doing tons of research and have read through so many articles but I guess I am looking for a more direct response to some of the questions I have. I will have roughly $3,000 to spend on whatever I want to fix it up (preparation of turbo). My question is where do I start?

1. Should I focus on the suspension (want it to have a lowered, sporty stance), brakes, wheels/tires etc. first?

2. What is a good turbo kit to use? (Trick, KB) A friend of mine suggested buying the piping and log from Trick or KB and using the Precision 7675 CEA billet impeller turbo but man that is pricey! ($1500)

3. My friend suggested all I need to upgrade is the cam and new springs. Also, I know I will need a fuel pump and injectors and a good tune. And I should definitely swap the 4L60 for an 80. But what about the rear end? Do I need to swap to a beefier rear axle?

4. Am I missing anything else?

I just want a dependable street truck as a daily commuter during the week and warrior on the weekends. Just need some help with the build process and guidance.

Thanks for helping me sort out my thoughts!

Jake
Old 12-26-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are you goals for the truck? Do you want to make 400hp, 800hp..? It sounded like this was going to be a daily driver so if I were you, I would make that my number one priority.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP

^^ You can only pick two.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Teching In

I was thinking around 500 or 600 horsepower. I would also like it to run a respectable quarter mile time (11s or 12s). And if I had to pick two I would choose Fast and Reliable. But man cheap sounds good too! lol

P.S. I'm going to Vegas next week with a buddy of mine...I'm pumped up!
Old 12-26-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedBowTie
I was thinking around 500 or 600 horsepower. I would also like it to run a respectable quarter mile time (11s or 12s). And if I had to pick two I would choose Fast and Reliable. But man cheap sounds good too! lol

P.S. I'm going to Vegas next week with a buddy of mine...I'm pumped up!
Cool man, where are you from? Are you dead set on a turbo set up? Cause if you want reliability and 5-600 hp, I would do a tvs unit. Can't get more reliable than that!
Old 12-26-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 4.8 motor and run one of KB's logs. i did all the rest of the exhaust my self and everything else. But as far as the motor goes all i have done is upgraded the valve springs and put ARP head studs and ls9 gaskets in her with a precision 7675 cea turbo. as far as reliability with it, the lowest boost i run is 16lbs right now and beat on it pretty damn hard if you ask me. i don't remember when i ran less than 16. you def. will want a 4l80 in the truck, and a simple hd2 or really any shift kit will help a lot. and your'e going to need a bigger fuel system and i say go e85 and don't go back, but that's just my .02 cents you will be really close to your budget if you go with the precision turbo, but i feel for its size you can't go wrong.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Cool man, where are you from? Are you dead set on a turbo set up? Cause if you want reliability and 5-600 hp, I would do a tvs unit. Can't get more reliable than that!
Well originally I'm from Gulfport, MS but have been living in KC for over 10 years now. My friend lives in Phoenix, Arizona and I go every other year to party with him and he suggested we check out Vegas so I definitely agreed since I have always wanted to go! I am leaning more towards turbo because I hear that you can get more power and if you plan on upgrading in the future turbo is the way to go.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TimDave217
I have a 4.8 motor and run one of KB's logs. i did all the rest of the exhaust my self and everything else. But as far as the motor goes all i have done is upgraded the valve springs and put ARP head studs and ls9 gaskets in her with a precision 7675 cea turbo. as far as reliability with it, the lowest boost i run is 16lbs right now and beat on it pretty damn hard if you ask me. i don't remember when i ran less than 16. you def. will want a 4l80 in the truck, and a simple hd2 or really any shift kit will help a lot. and your'e going to need a bigger fuel system and i say go e85 and don't go back, but that's just my .02 cents you will be really close to your budget if you go with the precision turbo, but i feel for its size you can't go wrong.
Thanks for the input! Did you have to swap out/beef up your rear axle or are you still using factory? Have you dynoed it yet? Any quarter mile times?

Thanks,

Jake
Old 12-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Launching!

I am in the middle of a very similar build. Check my build thread for the order I am doing it. Mine is also my daily driver.

Doing the 80 swap next week.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Subd for this one !
Old 12-27-2013, 03:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

suprisingly its still the stock rear end, all that is done is a different driveshaft and a drop kit with shocks to go with it. Im just waiting for it to blow so i can do a 9 inch and a ladder bar setup. i spin to much for it to do anything to hurt it, it seems like. But i don't have any official 1/4 or 1/8 mile times due to having problems both times i've been to a track. and have never dyno'd it. i'd say it def over 600, and maybe even closer to the 700 number. id like to do it this summer though.

Quick Reply: Introduction and another 4.8 turbo build...