FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Introduction and another 4.8 turbo build...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chumba
Hey Jake,
Not to burst your bubble or rain on your parade but you are missing a lot of stuff and have made a rather incomplete large pill to swallow. Let's start with the cam. Pushrods, crank bolt, gaskets galore just to name a few. You listed head gaskets, no need to pull the heads for a cam swap unless you are getting them worked or have other heads to go on, either way head bolt kit if you do pull the heads. Fluids, oil, coolant, etc, filter. The Trick kit is very nice but you are forgetting that you will need to complete the exhaust. Tranny stuff, going to need a driveshaft and tranny 4l80 crossmember. 3bar Map sensor, 2bar is good to 17lbs of boost. $400 for a SD boosted cam tune? $1500 for labor to do a camswap, fuel pump, tranny swap and install a wideband?

How many miles are on the truck now? Is the truck ready for all the fun stuff? Cooling system-water pump, radiator, lines, etc? Brakes? Tires? Plugs, wires? All the power without the basics will make for a really unreliable money pit quick that spends more down time.

Try to take the project in stages. Budget basic mandatory maintenance and some fun stuff to keep the fun factor going. Cold air kit, Longtube headers, plugs, wires, efans along with possibly waterpump and radiator with a tune would be a great start for what it sounds like your budget will allow for now.

Traction bars, wheels tires, posi/true trac rear up next. Save more funds along the way and save up for the turbo kit when the rest of the truck is ready for it. You can always sell or trade the LTs and cold air later to some one getting started.

Good luck with the build, keep on trukn'
Thanks Chumba! That's some real good advice that I needed right now. I've been racking my brain about this build and feel the smarter thing to do is to build it up in stages to slowly prepare it for FI like you suggested. I guess we can't always get what we want...well I guess if you have a ton of cash or something lol
Old 01-25-2014, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

You have some great info from this thread. I would only add double check some of your prices u have listed.

I'm new to the game myself but I would suggest this

255 pump
60 lbers
Turbo kit at 4-5 psi. ( used )
Shift kit

That will take your budget and give you some great power and happiness.

Cam, springs, pushrods, head gaskets.... All can be added later. ~20 rwhp per psi is hard to beat. Plus they're cool lol
Old 03-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Hey Guys,

Figured I would chime in with an update. So I decided to go ahead and pursue the turbo build.
In order to accommodate my budget, I decided to build it in two stages: first stage is engine prep/tranny/locker build
and second stage is adding the turbo kit.

I have purchased all the parts needed and I am just waiting on my Isky Cam/Springs to come in (tomorrow...can't wait)
and waiting on rebuild kit for 4l80 to come in and then have it rebuilt.

I will be posting pictures as the build progresses.

Thanks!

Jake

Last edited by BoostedBowTie; 03-25-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a good used kit for sale on here as complete as possible. You can get a decent used 4l80e cheeeap, use a decent verter (used on here if needed), put a hd2 in it and run the **** out of it (they'll take a good beating stock w/ shift kit). Stuff like gaskets for cam swap all are reusable. I've done it plenty, just clean the mating surfaces good, never had leaks on engines with over 150k, even. I wouldn't even worry about head gaskets, studs etc until you're really pushing it. I'm just saying you can stay within 5k and it still be reliable. I'm on the gov's payroll, they run out of money and stop our pay some years so I'm always on a budget haha. My used "junk" runs out just as good as some of the guys that can afford all the new/rebuilt stuff. At the same time if something does let go, I'm not out a ton. I could upgrade, and/or go used again etc..
Old 06-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Update: All parts are purchased and it is currently in the shop getting built. Will have build pics and dyno video once done. I am so excited!!!
Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Nice to see some other KC/Mo guys in here turbo or wanting to go turbo. Im in the same boat as the OP and always wanted to go turbo to but also had stuff come up. Ill keep an eye on this and maybe follow your path to boost.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Teching In

FINALLY got the truck done and let's just say that I am very happy with how she performs! She put down 641/635 on max boost. Love how it looks stock but is far from it when I step on the skinny pedal...confuses alot of people HAHA I would like to thank Foose, Atomic, Stangklr, Tanner Pap, my friend Clay Osburn from Mississippi, local LSX enthusiasts and other various vendors where I got my parts from.

It took ALOT of research, ALOT of questions, but in the end it was totally worth it all. Now my next step will be suspension mods and tire/wheel setup. I am thinking about putting a 2" shackle in the rear to get rid of the rake, getting some Caltracs and going with some stock 17" wheels from a newer Silverado with some Nitto555rs. Also, when I got the truck it had a camper shell on it...I am strongly considering putting it back on for the stealth factor.

Last edited by BoostedBowTie; 09-13-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Great to hear man!
Who ended up tuning it?
What is max boost?
Old 09-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Had Justune tune it and max is 20 lbs of boost. I have it set at 13 right now and haven't had to turn it up...will probably wait until I get some good tires so I can hook.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BoostedBowTie
Had Justune tune it and max is 20 lbs of boost. I have it set at 13 right now and haven't had to turn it up...will probably wait until I get some good tires so I can hook.
That's who tuned my truck also, he did a good job IMO.
What is the numbers on 13#?

Is this a On3 full kit?

Quick Reply: Introduction and another 4.8 turbo build...