FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

How much boost can I run with 87 octane on an LS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
5 dollar gas??? WTF are you talking about, oil is 19 dollars a barrel... Should be a lot less than 5 bucks. I still say troll...
First, the current prices due to the value drop of oil are likely temporary, so I wouldn't get to comfortable with them.

Secondly, his handle contains the term "Canuck" which is slang for Canadian. Prices in Canada for gas as of beginning of this month were... ~$4.97 Canadian. And even today are still are running over $4 Canadian.
https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/C...soline_prices/

Also, Canadian gallons are not the same as our US gallon measurement. Canadian gallons = 4.5L, while US gallons = 3.8L. So that muddies the water even more if you're trying to compare gas prices.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 404 Likes on 318 Posts

So... Your telling me a gallon isn't a gallon? That goes against everything I've ever been taught about units of measure. I understand the Candian difrence but the unit of measure changes? That's nuts...
Old 03-22-2020, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I thought in CN they measured fuel in liters? I also think they have devices on the pumps that ensure the dispersion of fuel to the correct measurements.

Meaning if you pay for a liter or gallon, you get your liter or gallon.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by madmann26
I thought in CN they measured fuel in liters? I also think they have devices on the pumps that ensure the dispersion of fuel to the correct measurements.

Meaning if you pay for a liter or gallon, you get your liter or gallon.

It is measured in liters.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...ic.System.html

I think the US is the only country that still uses imperial measurements.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by madmann26
It is measured in liters.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...ic.System.html

I think the US is the only country that still uses imperial measurements.
Careful though. There's a difference between Imperial gallons and US gallons measurements. Which is what the Canadians used, before they switched to metric. Hence why you have to know what unit of gallon is being discussed.

https://www.metric-conversions.org/v...uk-gallons.htm
Old 03-22-2020, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I converted to US gallons because its more relevant and easier to convert to, but yes, we get our fuel by the liter, and it is usually around $5 a gallon ($1.23-$1.27 a liter) for 87 octane. Last summer it was real high, closer to $5.50-$6 a gallon. Its super cheap now, in fact its cheaper now than I have ever seen in my life, but I doubt that'll keep up at all once the coronavirus blows over.

I do a lot of driving because I fly powered paragliders and some of the best places to fly are more than a hundred miles away. Not to mention the incoming airshow season. Both of which are seasonal, in the summer, with high gas prices.

Last edited by CrazyCanuck317; 03-22-2020 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 03-22-2020, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was interested in this topic, as many places that I go don't have any gas better than 87 octane. I use my truck to haul my dirt bike around, and it is very common to see the premium pump handle with a plastic bag over it. Most really fun places to ride are out in the sticks.

I guess N/A it will stay.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TLDR: short answers as follows assuming gasoline has 0-10% ethanol
High elevation, +2
Sea level, -2
Average, 0 boost

Edit, okay story time from experience. You can run lower octane gasoline with a turbo application without melting the motor. Been there, done that, prefer not to do it again. The trick is keeping your VE LOW enough to avoid knock all the time (less efficient motor will take this unholy scenario better than an efficient motor). Cut boost really low, bring it in slow, and let it taper off quickly. Fueling will be fat and timing will be retarded as ****. Your exhaust valves might hate you from taking on so much excess fuel. Then you'll wonder why you went through all this time and trouble for what a thought out cam and bolt-on combination would net. Your tuner will love you(r money).

Last edited by imma_stocker; 04-10-2020 at 03:56 PM. Reason: too much smartass, not enough facts
The following users liked this post:
arthursc2 (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 09:22 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should*
my boosted LS1 is more on the pushing-the-limits side of builds nowadays, and in a pinch - sure, i could put some 85 in it to get me to the next station with real gas (or if i was a gambling cheapskate, i could drive cross-country on the stuff)... but the kicker is that i'd baby the throttle, made sure to maintain at least 10 inHg of vaccum as i drove, and most-definitely never run it hard.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,435 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Let's just agree the answer here is 0 and move on 😂

Quick Reply: How much boost can I run with 87 octane on an LS