FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Help me pick a supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the TB converter that's sitting in the garage going to be OK?
Old 12-24-2005, 01:38 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TB stall will be more than OK. I think it will be Ideal for daily driving as well as performance when you punch it from a stop. The Radix kit is 100% out of the box. You don't have to have anything else except tools, time and beer. A buddy helps because 4 hands are better than 2 most of the time. Plus if you do get stuck on something, post up. So many here have a Radix you will get quick and correct answers. The hand held tuner that comes with the kit will be fine. A custom dyno tune will help but is not required right away. Wait a month or 2 until you get used to the power then get a custom dyno tune to get a few more ponies.

Please be advised that this is a sickness with no known cure. You will be buying an Eaton or equivalent LSD, different gears, long tube headers, tuning software, blah blah blah....You can say "No, I won't" but we will just laugh at you and point you back to this post in 6 months when you are asking about buying these items. This addiction will cost you your bank account, free time, and possibly your wife/girlfriend. Think of this forum as not only a tech help site but a support group. We understand.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
This addiction will cost you your bank account, free time, and possibly your wife/girlfriend. Think of this forum as not only a tech help site but a support group. We understand.
I've had this addiction before but I didn't think it would happen with this thing.

...as of now, no wife or gf so why not?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

The addiction never goes away, just slips under the radar for a period of time only to reemerge stronger than ever.. like all addictions. I'm 62 and got it worse than when I was a kid!

RE: the supercharger......... one word RADIX.

I got mine in July and there's no way I can say enough about the performance, the kit, the instructions and the customer service. Absolutely top-notch in all catagories!

My advice/recommendation is quite simple: Get the Radix and Have fun!!! Jim

Just a word about the wife/gf thing....

I'm in my third marraige (22 years now) and also had a couple other good live-in relationships... all of which I screwd up with my drinking and druggin. The best ones have just come out of the blue.. when I was NOT looking for a gf at all and it just happened. One of these days you'll be at a race or a cruise or a show, following your passion/addiction and viola!... there "she" will be. It'll surprise the crap out of you. It'll come out of the blue when you are least expecting it.

A man has to learn to be happy alone before he can be happy in a relationship.

Ok... that'll be all from gramps

Last edited by JimS; 12-24-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the advice Gramps on blowers and, uh... nevermind.

Seriously, I guess that this might be pushed back a month or two. I've found a Radix online for $4950. Anyone have any other suggestions on where to buy one from? If Tybrne (Tom) will match that price. I'll buy it from him.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I do the "full-pull" and buy a Radix, What kind of #'s should the 6000# truck in the quarter and the 1/8th. (mid 14's/mid 9's )
Old 12-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

KY- Like others have already said, no one is trying to spend your money. What we are trying to do is put you in the right direction, each kit has its ups and downs. Out of the box the intercooled radix is the way to go, not a hard install, dependable and great tech support ( Blownchevy) I wanted to be different, this is why i went the route that I did. Dont get me wrong, I am glad I did the Kenne Bell, but I am building a intercooler etc etc. If you want a kit that you can bolt on and not worry about it then go with the radix, there are many on this site that can agree with that...
Old 12-24-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bob:

Unless Magna has changed the instructions, the install has a couple of bugs in it since they are based on the Silverado. The grille area is evidently a little different in the Av than in the Silverados so we had to fab some simple brackets and modify the intercooler mounting a little. We modified the booster pump mounting position to make it a little more secure than the location in the instructions. For some reason, we couldn't get the fuel pressure regulator sent with the kit to work on my Av so we bought one locally.

The install is really pretty straight-forward. Take your time, do it right the first time, and plan on a bare mininmum of 12 hours for the install. That's IF you thoroughly familiarize yourself with the instructions beforehand!

TByrne advertises price matching so he should meet the best price you find.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Avalanche2002
Bob:

Unless Magna has changed the instructions, the install has a couple of bugs in it since they are based on the Silverado. The grille area is evidently a little different in the Av than in the Silverados so we had to fab some simple brackets and modify the intercooler mounting a little. We modified the booster pump mounting position to make it a little more secure than the location in the instructions. For some reason, we couldn't get the fuel pressure regulator sent with the kit to work on my Av so we bought one locally.

The install is really pretty straight-forward. Take your time, do it right the first time, and plan on a bare mininmum of 12 hours for the install. That's IF you thoroughly familiarize yourself with the instructions beforehand!

TByrne advertises price matching so he should meet the best price you find.

Thanks for the heads up on the differences in the Silverado and AV. I was already concerned about the intercooler. I have added a GM trans oil cooler, I'm not sure if it will be in the way, and I have a body lift, again I not sure if it will matter.

That is one reason that I was planning on going with something non-intercooled but I figure I can work around those issues.

If I do this Murman (the guy I rode to St Louis with) said he would help with the install. He is probably the most organized person that I've ever worked on a vehicle with.

What was the issue with the fuel regulator? I can't see that being different on a AV compared to a Silverado. You said you bought one locally, is it just a factory regulator?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One word. TRANSMISSION!!!

Quick Reply: Help me pick a supercharger