FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Help me pick a supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KY_BOB
Thanks for your input, Naked. If you would do me a favor, don't mention this thread on the AV sites. I'm hoping to surprise some people at the Huntsville GTG.
No sweat, I wouldn't do something like that anyway. Keep us posted on your decision and your progress.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was planning on buying a kit with everything that I need in one kit. I may consider CHarris's deal, send me a PM, what would it take to get it. It'll be in the morning before I respond.

What else would be needed?
Old 12-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Talk to CHarris, if you want to make any decent power with the whipple you have to yank there electronics and upgrade to some 43lb injectors and tuning of some sort ( Dyno, Hptuners, mail order whatever) If you push the boost higher also you will need a fuel pump, My buddies has one and we did all of this to his. Out of the box you can beat a radix.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

As a current Whipple owner, I have to agree 100% with NakedAV and 03sierraslt. The Whipple is a great start, but it requires a lot more "hands-on" work than the Radix would. I, too, have ditched the Whipple EFI box, installed larger injectors, installed a meth injection system, as well as getting numerous Nelson tunes. If you want a true "plug-and-play" system, then pony up the extra expense for the Radix. Less hassle, easy install (Whipple is easy install as well), and you really want to get a warranty you can get the Radix professionally installed. I love the Whipple, but I also have spent a LOT of time bent over the fender of the truck wrenching on different things to get the Whipple "right". As NakedAV alluded to, you really have to pay to play. Oh, BTW, don't forget to have a fund for replacing/rebuilding your tranny as well.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

These guys are sending you in the right direction. The only other variable not mentioned here is, what are you going to using your truck for?
If you will be pulling anything with it, the a roots style SC is needed. Like the Radix or Whipple. The Whipple will require a bit more modding to get it to work to your likes.
The Radix would then seem to be the right choice.
Spend the exta doe and opt for Radix. Then add to it later!

Jim
Old 12-23-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I do some light weight towing now but I am thinking about buying a travel trailer sometime, so towing is a consideration. The Avalanche is a daily driver.

I don't doubt the quality and performance of the Radix. I've seen what it can do. Does anyone have an opinion on the new non-intercooled version? I know that it wont put out as much power as the intercooled Radix and I would be limited as to how much boost I could run if I wanted to upgrade but I would think the quailty would be the same.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KY_BOB
I do some light weight towing now but I am thinking about buying a travel trailer sometime, so towing is a consideration. The Avalanche is a daily driver.

I don't doubt the quality and performance of the Radix. I've seen what it can do. Does anyone have an opinion on the new non-intercooled version? I know that it wont put out as much power as the intercooled Radix and I would be limited as to how much boost I could run if I wanted to upgrade but I would think the quailty would be the same.
I'll say this in conjunction with the pulling a travel trailer.
You will be fine with the non-intercooled Radix for normal use and limited distance with the travel trailer.
The weight of that travel trailer will make your air intake temps rise considerably as well as engine/ tranny temps.
When you do get the travel trailer, be sure to upgrade your Radix system to an intercooled system. Also make sure you have an external engine & trans cooler and even possibly a tranny temp gauge.
The only other thing I can suggest if you don't already have them are the electric fan set up over the clutch style fan.
Other than that, these are just mods to definately consider right before you get the travel trailer.
Until then, you will be fine with the non-intercooled Radix system.
You will still grin with the non-intercooled system!
Good luck, Happy Modding, and Merry Christmas.

Jim
Old 12-23-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Jim,
That made since. I already have a tranny cooler and a Escalade cluster with a trans temp guage. As far as towing, I don't really need any more power with my 4.56 gears. I really don't think a 4500-5000# trailer would put much strain on the AV. A set of electric fans is on my "I want" list and I probably would have done that if I hadn't decided to supercharge it but this mod will tap me out for a while.

Oh, Merry Christmas to you and your family as well
Old 12-23-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bob:

You saw my Radix in St. Louis. Wait a little while, save a little more money and go with the intercooled Radix, you won't regret it. I lurk on this site a lot as well as being active on the Avalanche sites.

If you shop hard you should be able to buy an intercooled Radix for about $4900. You definitely need a tranny oil cooler also.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Avalanche2002
Bob:

You saw my Radix in St. Louis. Wait a little while, save a little more money and go with the intercooled Radix, you won't regret it. I lurk on this site a lot as well as being active on the Avalanche sites.

If you shop hard you should be able to buy an intercooled Radix for about $4900. You definitely need a tranny oil cooler also.
Yea, I sure did see it and had some good brat's and Old Style too.

I'm not going for all out performance. I think the NI Radix will fit the bill. You guys are never happy. My budget has already gone from $1500 to $4k and you guys want more

Quick Reply: Help me pick a supercharger