FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Have some turbo questions in relation to goals

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:19 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone opinions. I have read the stickies but want a little more direct input in relation to what my goals and plans are.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I can read in this post your initial questions have been answered. Your horsepower goals are reasonable. I was within your goals with a 60-1 turbo... intercooled system running 42lb injectors. Keep in mind that your goals are the limit of your fuel system running, say, a 255 pump in tank. IMO, tuners like steady fuel pressure throughout the loaded RPM range. Any drop needs to be compensated for... but it is not the best situation. Alcohol injection helps keep detonation at bay - a good bandaid persay... but I am against it because its fuel that needs micro management and has been noted in the past as less relaible than the inadequate fuel system it is compensating for. I like the fact I can pull up to the pump and fill up with 91 crap gas and not worry about anything under the hood.

I am now running a T66 at 10psi... but I am also running a 4L80E with a 3200 stall. So, turbo lag is still minimal. BUT, with a 60-1 with a stock convertor I dare say the boost response was as close to instant as a Maggie MP112... the older Radix setup. I had a Radix... so, I know. The 60-1 was out of "gas" around 5500 RPM but so was the Maggie (with Magnuson recommended pulley - per engine size).

With the aforementioned T62 I would most definitely agree that is all that is needed for a 5.3L throughout its useful RPM range.

I have a set of LS6 heads and cam in the garage... most helpful for squeezing out whats left in the lil ole 5.3. But for now I think I'm running on a couple of years of daily driver reliability with no issues...
Old 07-23-2010, 06:51 AM
no title here

My unanswered question was which of the two a Maggie or turbo would get the best mileage as a daily driver. This is a setup for mu wife so reliability is first, followed by economy, andand then power.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had a stock 5.3 with the STS, I would get 21-22 mpg on the hwy running 80-85 mph. In town it would get right at 18 mpg. With a small turbo, stick with the stock tq converter and see how it works before buying a higher stall. At 8 psi and no I/C I was making right at 500 rwhp. I sprayed meth above 5 psi.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
My unanswered question was which of the two a Maggie or turbo would get the best mileage as a daily driver. This is a setup for mu wife so reliability is first, followed by economy, andand then power.
I'd say both setups are rock solid... its what breaks around them. Fuel economy may be slightly better with a turbo. Magnuson's kits and tuning are solid. Bolt it on, install the canned tune, and go. As long as you don't dick with anything trying to squeeze more power out the setup should last the life of the truck. Turbo's can be a little more tricky in tuning intially. Once I went to a watercooled turbo I have had no issues. This is my daily driven truck and I have no backup... so reliability is critical for me.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Launching!

if its for the wife, id say go with a twin screw(pick your flavor)- effortless power and rock solid driveability with instant power.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill if you EVER decide to get rid of your turbo kit let me know :d
Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Maggies are great for a DD because of their torque curve. A properly thought out turbo setup could be just as effecient, but with more room to grow. If you decide on turbo, I would recommend Walbro 255 in the tank, 44lb injectors will be fine up to 500rwhp, MP T70 and choose your exhaust a/r according to how quick you want it to spool. An intercooler would be mandatory IMO you can get one off ebay that fits nicely between the frame rails for like $120, then you can run however much boost it takes to get your 450rwhp without becoming a meth head. I think a Yank TT2600 would be great for this setupmas a DD, but as stated previously I would wait until after you get everything finished to choose a stall size. Your gonna have to do something with the tranny either route you choose also.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:32 PM
no title here

The plan is to have a tranny built for it hopefully this week and have it put in. By then I will have decided what route to take and will install a cam at the same time. I did take the time a couple nights ago to show my wife some videos of trucks with a Magnacharger and trucks with a turbo and she likes the performance, pull, and sound of a turbo better. She said she hated the whine of the Maggie, I can't say I would disagree for something she would be driving. Besides with my dually and other vehicles I have had she has been around more turbocharged vehicles and I think she likes them better.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Teching In

sounds like fun i had my tahoe turboed before i sold it...

i now have a complete non intercooled sts kit for a tahoe/yukon for sale CHEAP.. pm me for details or email me if interested

its_miller_tyme@hotmail.com