FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

First alky injection impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have a 04 SSR with a magna charger, I put a alky kit on and it run like Sh++, I went from 13.19 to 13.70's, The guy said that is right without tuning you will lose power with alky, Poblem is I am not a engine tuner, I have a HPTuner and two guys helping me try and tune, Have been to the drag strip 3 to 4 times, I am ready to give up and take the alky off the truck, I have about $800 in the system so all you guy that wont to jump on alky find someone that can tune before you jump
Old 06-27-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Double-L
Well I have a 04 SSR with a magna charger, I put a alky kit on and it run like Sh++, I went from 13.19 to 13.70's, The guy said that is right without tuning you will lose power with alky, Poblem is I am not a engine tuner, I have a HPTuner and two guys helping me try and tune, Have been to the drag strip 3 to 4 times, I am ready to give up and take the alky off the truck, I have about $800 in the system so all you guy that wont to jump on alky find someone that can tune before you jump

If you don't add boost/timing and tune for it there is little difference in performance. If you put it on with the same boost/timing and no tune all it will do is give you a slight drop in air temps (if any) and make you pig-rich, slowing you down most likely.

Alky goes on every forced induction pump gas build I do, but the whole idea of using it is to add boost and timing; otherwise, don't waste you time with it.

Jody
Old 06-27-2006, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

I can add boost and timing without the alky, One good thing the alky is good for is comming off the line if I have it on I don't go up in smoke like I do without it, I would love to get it worked out to see if it will help but looks like it is a uphill battle, Have had people tell me they are no way to tune without seeing your 02 and the guy that put it on said no way we just need to find a good tune, Makes no since to me, You add higher octane, Cooler fuel it sounds good and runs good on the street but both the et and speed is down at the strip
Old 06-27-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Double-L
I can add boost and timing without the alky, One good thing the alky is good for is comming off the line if I have it on I don't go up in smoke like I do without it, I would love to get it worked out to see if it will help but looks like it is a uphill battle, Have had people tell me they are no way to tune without seeing your 02 and the guy that put it on said no way we just need to find a good tune, Makes no since to me, You add higher octane, Cooler fuel it sounds good and runs good on the street but both the et and speed is down at the strip
I am by no means an expert with it but from your statement about not blowing the tires at launch leads me to believe you are sparying to much alky. At least on lauch. May be an issue with to much spray for the boost level. My early experience with it has been the exact opposite. I can now pretty much blow traction at any time in 1st. Couldn't do that before the alky.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
I am by no means an expert with it but from your statement about not blowing the tires at launch leads me to believe you are sparying to much alky. At least on lauch. May be an issue with to much spray for the boost level. My early experience with it has been the exact opposite. I can now pretty much blow traction at any time in 1st. Couldn't do that before the alky.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=367303

He is just a little frustrated someone let him get alky with no direction how to deal with the higher octane and pig rich scenario. It probably isnt a case of too much alky(or may be as well) but more of he is probably running 10:1 AFR. No body here will produce any power with that. I have offered to him to look at his HPT file and scan if he'd like. I'll share it he wishes. He needs a wideband. There is alot of power on the table with FI and not using alky IMO.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=367303

He is just a little frustrated someone let him get alky with no direction how to deal with the higher octane and pig rich scenario. It probably isnt a case of too much alky(or may be as well) but more of he is probably running 10:1 AFR. No body here will produce any power with that. I have offered to him to look at his HPT file and scan if he'd like. I'll share it he wishes. He needs a wideband. There is alot of power on the table with FI and not using alky IMO.
I agree. Too much spray without tuning = pig rich and lesser power. I have had to pull probalby 20% fuel to get the AFR's in check. Something you can't do without a wideband.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:34 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these guys are right, it's not an uphill battle. just simple tuning. with a wideband you could have that thing tuned in 1/2hour.

on my truck i gained some hp by just adding the meth and then adjusting the a/f ratio back to 11.5/1. not a ton of hp but some. then i started adding boost and i gained a shitload of power. meth kicks ***.

try not to get frustrated, just listen to these guys and you will start to understand that you are skiping a very important step.