FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Dmax intercooler is on the way

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dmax intercooler is on the way

Okay, Dmax I/C is on the way (thanks iwineng03ss). Looks like i will be picking up some 3" mandrel bent aluminum tubing from Ebay this weekend. Next step is to get a pattern of the blower output shoulder and manifold inlet shoulder so i can get som flanges cut. What thickness would be recommended for the flanges....1/2", 3/8", or 1/4" aluminum?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

1/2 sould be fine. That should be a nice setup.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

here are a couple of pictures showing the relationship of the Dmax intercooler to the Dmax radiator. Looks like the Dmax intercooler sits in the same place as the radiator would sit on a gasser. Only on the Dmax, the radiator bolts/rests on the front of the intercooler. I really hope i can make my radiator work with this, or mount the I/C a little differetly. Maybe mount it on the other side of the core support, closer to the grill. I will know soon enough.
The last picture is a non-dmax radiator and how it mounts the core support.
Attached Thumbnails Dmax intercooler is on the way-cooler1dmax.jpg   Dmax intercooler is on the way-cooler2dmax.jpg   Dmax intercooler is on the way-cooler3dmax.jpg   Dmax intercooler is on the way-rad_nondmax.jpg  
Old 05-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's what i was explaining to you in the other post. i ended up getting a damx rad. also to go with the i/c. i don't see you being able to fit the intercooler any other way.
you will see our rad use plastic tabs that are molded to the rad. tanks that go to the core support, you really need to see a duramax up close to see what i mean.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BOB D
that's what i was explaining to you in the other post. i ended up getting a damx rad. also to go with the i/c. i don't see you being able to fit the intercooler any other way.
you will see our rad use plastic tabs that are molded to the rad. tanks that go to the core support, you really need to see a duramax up close to see what i mean.
So you have done the swap? Do you have pictures? Do you have pictures of a Dmax up close?
Old 05-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Teching In

i haven't put them in my truck yet, they are sitting on my workbench. i am going to convert to dual electric fans at the same time and i am working out a few things like brackets and some small things before i install the dmax i/c and rad. i'll see if i can get you some pics to show you.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck with your installation . Try to post up some pics of the finished project, I want to see how this will turn out.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BOB D
i haven't put them in my truck yet, they are sitting on my workbench. i am going to convert to dual electric fans at the same time and i am working out a few things like brackets and some small things before i install the dmax i/c and rad. i'll see if i can get you some pics to show you.

Pics would be great.

I took a quick look yesterday and was wondering a couple things. The Dmax Radiator does not have an oil cooler built in to it for some reason. It only has the trany cooler. So an external oil cooler is also going to be needed. Next, it looks like (on my truck) i have two other coolers mounted out front of the A/C condensor. One i think is a power steering cooler, but i dont know what the other one is. The one that i think is a power steering cooler is very small, maybe 3" wide by 12" long and runs verticaly down the right side of the A/C condensor. The other one sits right in front of the center of the A/C condensor and is about 12" x14". I will certainly trace them out, just wondering if anyone knew what they were off the top of thier heads.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Linda
Check out this place for the piping. They have pretty good prices IMO.

http://store.racing-solutions.org/index.html
Old 05-17-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

seems kind of odd, but it looks like there are 2 trany coolers on these trucks. All this is in preparation of putting on the Dmax intercooler so i hope im not going out of bounds of the "forced induction" section with this info. Here is the manual drawing showing the two coolers...i will have to take a look and see how this is plumbed up....you should be able to zoom in on this.
Attached Thumbnails Dmax intercooler is on the way-tranycooler.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dmax intercooler is on the way