FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

2014 Sierra RCSB Z71 On3 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Zajac
In general terms usually GM designs the truck intake for strong low end and mid range torque as opposed to high RPM peak power numbers. The car intakes are also designed with packaging in mind (hood clearance). I would be willing to bet the truck intake is better in also everything below 6500 RPM
You may be right. I was pursuing this path based on the multiple folks out there swapping the intake. Some claimed 20HP. But I also shouldn't believe everything I read on the Interwebz, right?

I know the TBSS was a strong performer where it would fit(ran one on the Jeep for a long time) so I guess it makes sense that the L83/L86 intake might be the same. With no injectors, it's probably pretty easy to swap. Perhaps I can talk Geoff into a back to back at some point down the road.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
You may be right. I was pursuing this path based on the multiple folks out there swapping the intake. Some claimed 20HP. But I also shouldn't believe everything I read on the Interwebz, right?

I know the TBSS was a strong performer where it would fit(ran one on the Jeep for a long time) so I guess it makes sense that the L83/L86 intake might be the same. With no injectors, it's probably pretty easy to swap. Perhaps I can talk Geoff into a back to back at some point down the road.
I have seen some intakes gain 10-20 HP up top at the very peak just to lose 20-30 ft.lbs. of torque almost everywhere. I would definitely love to see some back to back testing. I have the equipment to test everything very accurately but honestly don't usually have any free or down time at my shop
Old 03-06-2018, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Zajac
I have seen some intakes gain 10-20 HP up top at the very peak just to lose 20-30 ft.lbs. of torque almost everywhere. I would definitely love to see some back to back testing. I have the equipment to test everything very accurately but honestly don't usually have any free or down time at my shop
Makes sense to me. A turbo motor needs good flow on the low end to build boost, then the shove from the turbo negates top end losses with forced flow.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drug the (built)transmission over to my shop today. No time to do anything with it or the 6.2 yet, but at least it's in hand. I mean, it's in the bed of the truck but technically IN the truck. :-P

Old 03-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quality of the On3 kits has been criticized quite a bit on kits for other MY's. How is the quality of the kit, now that you have dealt with it for awhile. I am considering making the switch from the Whipple 2.9, but the quality rep is giving me pause.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EarlH
Quality of the On3 kits has been criticized quite a bit on kits for other MY's. How is the quality of the kit, now that you have dealt with it for awhile. I am considering making the switch from the Whipple 2.9, but the quality rep is giving me pause.
For 2014+ (DI/L83/L86) trucks, this was the only kit that wasn't _very_ expensive. That made most of my decision for me.

The cast stainless manifold is very heavy and looked like it was welded competently. I don't expect any troubles from it. The crossover didn't seem like anything special, but seems well-built. The V-band clamps could be better quality I think. Intercooler is also surprisingly heavy and I think it will last. The turbo seemed to he everything that they promised. It starts to make boost well below 1500RPM. Fit is pretty good on everything; not much tweaking required. Blankets seemed to be of reasonable quality and do their job.

I have a little over 500 miles on the kit and am pulling off tomorrow to fix some exhaust manifold bolt holes(threads) I buggered up when installing. Probably going to blast and coat the hot side this time if I don't get impatient.

Anything in particular you want to know about?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Critiques that I have read seem to be around poor welds and exhaust leaks. I know nothing first hand and I am not trying to bash the kit. I am sincerely considering the change (from Whipple 2.9). However, I don't want any headaches down the road.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EarlH
Critiques that I have read seem to be around poor welds and exhaust leaks. I know nothing first hand and I am not trying to bash the kit. I am sincerely considering the change (from Whipple 2.9). However, I don't want any headaches down the road.
I haven't seen those issues but I don't have a lot of miles on the kit yet. On3 claimed they ran this kit successfully for over 30K miles on their 2014 shop truck.

Most people recommend(and seem to follow) wrapping the hot parts. On3 did caution that this can cause cracking. In all fairness, I've had Kooks tell me that they won't warranty headers if I wrap them for the same reason.

Did you see the pics of the manifold in the first few posts of this thread? It is beefy. It is a little funky looking in that it seems they took a LS manifold and welded the LT flange/pipes to it, but it's all super thick and seemingly very strong.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a bad *** write up on what u have done......kit quality is good for what u pay.....buddy had the same issue with the cross over but since has put good miles on it went from TX to Tennessee and back several times daily drives it only putting about 8psi but kit has held up pretty good no cracks
Old 03-21-2018, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Actually looking at taking off the Whipple and going with this kit. I found an LT4 shortblock, have injectors/hpfp and low side fueling. In looking at the exhaust components do u think they flow enuf to support 700-750rwhp?