FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

2014 Sierra RCSB Z71 On3 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoyPDX
I think the use of cheap flex joints plays a big part in it, but I've seen multiple posts about people showing where a braided flex joint blew apart inside and took out a turbo. Enough that I wouldn't use one.

Also, both of those are Vibrant parts, just fyi.
I agree cheaper part and the location I have compared the flex location to other turbo kits. I wish they just moved the flex to the middle of the crossover. It's so close to the edge. Mine blew right in the gap at the last flex ridge. but we also noticed the heat cycles of the exhaust made the pipe flex at both elbows away at the bottom of pipe. We checked a few times the vband and the triple bolt clamp. Turns out there are different flange donut sizes and the on3 flange can bottom out before full seal. I called on3 and they said RTV everything... Never had a issue with header flange leaking but at my torque and the rtv I knew it wouldn't be a issue.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just saw a new kit for sale and the cross over pipe has the stainless braided flex joint. Not sure what the story behind that. If they switched to those or just did a few like that. First pic is of my first On3 flex joint.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:16 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I ended up just getting rid of the flex joint, kept blowing them out. Have yet to have any issues with a solid crossover pipe. I did add a flex joint to my wastegate dump And the down pipe because they do move more Indipendently than the crossover.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RySmDPT14
I ended up just getting rid of the flex joint, kept blowing them out. Have yet to have any issues with a solid crossover pipe. I did add a flex joint to my wastegate dump And the down pipe because they do move more Indipendently than the crossover.
that is my plan if this vibrant flex I have now lets out. The vband gives no room for error but the other side(passenger) has adjustable some what. I think ON3 just installs them to account for the differences in trucks and kits that may happen. I'm keeping a eye on mine, expecting it to go out.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, my truck is lifted 10” so I was able to sit under it and weld up the crossover... otherwise I see how a flex joint would make it much easier to install the crossover.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow i cant believe i remembered my pwsd, havent longed in since 2015! i seen your thread so i wanted to chime in.

after some research i dove in head first and bought an ON3 kit on my 2016 5.3 crewcab z71, read countless reviews both good and bad, so i took slow without any fear, first turbo install i have ever done by myself all done in my garage, put in this past june 18', no major issues during install except oil leak in oil drain hose. installed a hydraulic hose (problem solved).. have since put over 13,5xx miles on the kit, i drive it daily 100miles round trip....i installed the turbo kit as it came, trailer ed the truck to victoria tx from houston and PatG tunned it, been smoking camaro sss ever since i will post pics later.

question how often do i have to change plugs? installed ngks tr6s
Old 01-16-2019, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

^^^ awesome
Old 05-08-2019, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just ordered the on3 kit for a 2015 silverado. Could you send me a copy of your tune? I would like to see what was changed and get my tune in the ballpark before driving it to a tuner.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi guys,

Sorry to take it this far and switch directions, but such is life. I've got a short break between crawfish season and football season, and I decided I just want to do what I intended in the first place - build the 6.2, swap it in, and drop a 2.9 Whipple on it. I'm going to cap this thread and likely start a new one shortly with the blower install once those parts arrive(ordered today).

Planning on drop-in pistons/rods, cam, DOD/VVT delete, and a few other goodies. Should be somewhere between fun and scary. We'll see!

Hopefully you guys got to see the finer points of installing a turbo setup(and thank you to the guys that already knew all this and helped along).

Thank you all for your support and interaction.

PS-- I am selling the 37K-mile L83/6L80 combo and some other goodies in a thread in the classifieds section. I would appreciate it if you guys could give me some guidance on price. I think I priced it right but honestly I am out of the loop on part prices on LTx stuff.

Chris
Old 07-02-2019, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015Trucks
I have just ordered the on3 kit for a 2015 silverado. Could you send me a copy of your tune? I would like to see what was changed and get my tune in the ballpark before driving it to a tuner.
I apologize that I didn't see your message earlier. I hope you got sorted. Geoff Skinner is a friend and great tuner and I wouldn't have shared his work but what I would do(and if you still need) is ask him if I might share a copy of the start-up tune he made for me to baby the truck over there the first time. Worst he could say is "no" but I would be willing to ask.

Good luck with your project if you haven't completed it yet.