FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

2014 Sierra RCSB Z71 On3 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up 2014 Sierra RCSB Z71 On3 Turbo

This is my daily currently. Always wanted to do a turbo 4wd. So I'm doing it. I'm actually almost done installing it but I figure I'll probably have many questions and have found that documenting what I'm doing is the best way to get good help from others with more experience. I'm solid with LS knowledge but this is my first GM DI(well; the first I'm willing to majorly modify) and first non-factory turbo vehicle.

On3 was the only company that claimed a (bolt on yourself)kit for DI trucks for less than eleventy billion dollars. I'm aware of their history. I'm a parts addict so I've had plenty of their stuff pass through my hands but this is the first time actually bolting on a complete kit.

I opted for their 72MM ceramic ball bearing, billet-wheel turbo.
I also "upgraded" to their scavenge pump setup but later decided I didn't want another complexity in there and tapped the pan. More on that later.

Keeping all else factory for now save for a Magnaflow 3.5" (for 6.2L ext bed trucks) exhaust. I wanted the dual outlet behind rear tire system and I could only find it made for the longer trucks. Hopefully once I get there it will just be some shortening or moving of hangers.

The truck did get some Bilstein 5100 leveling struts and some snowflakes and Zeon LTZ 305/55/20s I had left over from my aborted K10 project. Other than that, stock.

Day one:

Level, wheels, tires:

Old 11-13-2017, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's the first mock-up of the turbo..will get more specific pics of what I've done so far in the next day or so.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First assumption I made with some advice from a knowledgeable person is plugs. We figured stock LT4 plugs would be a good starting point. I also had some Taylor 9mm plug wires and boot protectors sitting around so decided to give those a shot.

Opinions on the plug situation before I get much deeper?

Thanks ahead of time for your time.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Plug choice sounds fine for now.

Maybe use zip ties to pull the wires away from the log manifold a little bit.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FFDP
Plug choice sounds fine for now.

Maybe use zip ties to pull the wires away from the log manifold a little bit.
Yep; I have a feeling this thing is going to be covered in zip ties by the end. Lots of room in the truck engine bay but GM likes to try to use ALL of it if they can.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Any reason for not wrapping the manifold?

I'm wanting to do a similar setup on a silvy too. Been cruising classifieds for a good foundation at a price that will easily allow for a 4L80 swap, turbo kit, and rear end--likely in that order.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Any reason for not wrapping the manifold?

I'm wanting to do a similar setup on a silvy too. Been cruising classifieds for a good foundation at a price that will easily allow for a 4L80 swap, turbo kit, and rear end--likely in that order.
Hey man; good to see you over here. Please don't tell the V1 guys yet that I'm further detoured. The 07 is the very next project to get completion attention once this is bolted together.

I've got a blanket for the turbo and downpipe. The manifold is cast stainless and surprisingly thick so it honestly didn't occur to me. Kinda wanted to see how it works out without the wrap as Louisiana is wet most of the year and this is a daily(then again if thick, why am I worried about rust?). I hope most of the heat will exit the bottom of the engine compartment. Maybe.

That manifold was quite the surprise to unbox; it was basically a shorty with a turbo and WG flange and it must have weighed at least 20lbs. Figure it should hold heat better than some of the tube stuff but time will tell.

I was also on that path with the 03 RCSB I just sold. 4.8, had both a STS turbo kit and a LSA setup I wanted to try on it but my lady said she would not be seen riding around in "the rust rocket" so just sold it and landed on this. It's not perfect but had to have the blue once I saw it. Still have that 80e and other junk sitting on a pallet, mocking me and my bad decisions. On the upside, a buddy of mine got a sweet deal on a solid truck with some rusty rockers.

What's the consensus? Am I totally wrong not wrapping the manifold itself?

Thanks
Chris

Here's a pic of the manifold in the box:

Last edited by Mercier; 11-15-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished up a friends 4 door with one of the kits pretty easy install no hiccups everything went into place with out any issues. Only problem we had was one if the wires was touching log so we changed them out for msd issue fixed. Only running 5psi for now. Fuel system upgrade in the next couple of weeks
Old 11-15-2017, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So a little background on what got me here..

First, if you own a truck and don't have or know what a topside creeper is, look it up then buy one. Sell a kidney if you have to. For topside work on anything other than a lowered truck, it's a game-changer. That's a 2" leveled truck on ramps and I only had to extend it up a few inches. It's got a way to go before topping out. Basically climb the ladder that makes up the back side and hover over your work.

Please ignore the poor neglected Caddy in the background. She's waiting a little too patiently.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's cutting the plastic support behind the grille for their "race core" intercooler. Before and after I don't feel much was compromised here strength-wise. It's a cut I can't take back but I don't think it matters.