FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

2014 Sierra RCSB Z71 On3 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil brother PI
This is a bad *** write up on what u have done......kit quality is good for what u pay.....buddy had the same issue with the cross over but since has put good miles on it went from TX to Tennessee and back several times daily drives it only putting about 8psi but kit has held up pretty good no cracks
That's good to hear. I was on a tear with the 6.2 and looking at more boost, bigger turbo, etc. until I was told that the DI pistons just aren't up to the task at higher HP levels. So I'll probably be running same ~8lbs for a while until I decide my next move.

Originally Posted by EarlH
Actually looking at taking off the Whipple and going with this kit. I found an LT4 shortblock, have injectors/hpfp and low side fueling. In looking at the exhaust components do u think they flow enuf to support 700-750rwhp?
LT4 short block would have been nice. What did you get and how much did you invest? I remember one coming up in the classifieds but seemed beat to hell and the seller even stated it needed a going through. Seeing as half the stuff in the classifieds isn't as nice as described, I decided not to gamble. As it stands, I'll be doing at least pistons and rods in the 6.2 before I swap anything.

On3 claims(and I believe) this kit is good over 1000HP(crank). So yes, I think 750 wheel is supported.

How did you do with the Whipple and what size is it?
Old 03-22-2018, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mercier
LT4 short block would have been nice. What did you get and how much did you invest? I remember one coming up in the classifieds but seemed beat to hell and the seller even stated it needed a going through. Seeing as half the stuff in the classifieds isn't as nice as described, I decided not to gamble. As it stands, I'll be doing at least pistons and rods in the 6.2 before I swap anything.

On3 claims(and I believe) this kit is good over 1000HP(crank). So yes, I think 750 wheel is supported.

How did you do with the Whipple and what size is it?
Re: LT4 shortblock..its from a local shop that I have used for quite some time, so I'm comfortable with it.

RE: whipple..its a 2.9 Gen 3. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the blower. Its actually better than I expected... given my preference for turbos. I decided to go Whipple because it was simple, easy and reliable. In addition, I couldn't find any reasonably priced turbo kits that had enough customer feedback to make me feel comfortable. The UPP kit was priced ok, but looking at all the heat shielding in the engine bay pics suggested that it might be a heat management nightmare. In addition, I couldn't find any evidence of anyone that has installed one. The truck is my wife's daily and my occasional tow rig. Therefore I need install it and forget it reliability. I am currently on the tail end of my 11 CTS V TT 427 rebuild and getting close to the end of my C7 Z06 Single Turbo conversion. Both cars were blower cars from the factory. Turbo conversions haven't been easy, but they are occasional drivers (strip/street) and downtime is expected. Cant have that with the truck.

The whipple is currently at 525/545 and is capable of 1000+rwhp. I could pully it down for more, but stock L86 pistons. I am looking switching to turbos, post LT4 shortblock, because of the adjustability for when my wife drives it and when towing.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys seen this wastegate muffler(or any other)? Thinking about trying one out. Seems obvious if I can make it fit.

https://www.milletechnology.com/serv...egate-muffler/
Old 04-10-2018, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After a few weeks in the body shop, time to get back to work on it. A very honorable manager of an automated car wash in town paid to have both side of the truck repainted after their machines knocked some chunks of paint off. Most of the missing pieces were from the bottoms of the doors but they did a lot more to make sure it all matched up. The rock guard is applied a little higher than I would have preferred, but honestly another inch or so will probably benefit in the long run.

Once I knock a little polishing dust off and touch up a couple of specs on the hood, the body will basically look brand new. It was an inconvenience but I came out ahead I think.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

looks great
Old 05-08-2018, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update?
Old 05-09-2018, 05:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I don’t like the idea of putting a muffler on the wg. Let it breathe.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
I don’t like the idea of putting a muffler on the wg. Let it breathe.
Looks like a straight through muffler, so it should breathe fine. Much better than integrating it with the downpipe, but it's bulkier and you have to figure out where to route it.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The restaurant has been killing so not much time.

Small update: decided to go the time-sert route along with locking header bolts for peace of mind. Hoping to have a weekend soon to pull it all off and do that and DRIVE the thing a bit while I build the L86.

The hardware looks pretty good. I was concerned that the kit-included inserts weren't long enough so I opted for some 18mm - part # 18127 - inserts. Looks like that will give me a lot more thread action. Will measure against flange/gasket thickness but looks like it will just be enough to perfectly lock the insert in. Otherwise they have ~16mm inserts as well.

First time using locking bolts but these look ****.

Edit: got some stainless 16 & 18mm inserts and they look nice.

Last edited by Mercier; 06-05-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Been sitting so long the factory battery died and doesn't want a charge. It's 4 years old anyway. Looked for Optima part #s for 2014+ truck but none exist. Did a good bit of research and landed on Northstar batteries. They make the right size, supposedly made in USA of 99.x% virgin lead, etc. And there's a lot of lead; it weighs 57lbs.

Northstar reps actually told me this battery(available at local Batteries+Bulbs store) is actually a re-label of theirs and when purchased online (for in-store pickup) at B+B, there is a 5-year full replacement warranty as well as 10% off.

NSB-AGM94R/L4 = X2Power SLI94RAGMDP

Last edited by Mercier; 06-04-2018 at 10:42 PM.