Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

First time at the track with the 6.0 - Pictures, video, and timeslips

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:15 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First time at the track with the 6.0 - Pictures, video, and timeslips

Ran the truck at the track tonight for the first time after the 6.0/cam/converter/LTs/trans. Was only able to squeeze in two runs before the rain showed up.

Didn't run as well as I was hoping, but there were quite a few things holding me back.

First, since the rain was moving in, there was a TON of moisture in the air, which never helps anything.

Second, I have a bad knock sensor, which may or may not be pulling timing (I still don't have a definitive answer about that).

Third, was traction. It was physically impossible to avoid the waterbox, and 4wd burnouts don't work so well, so I was launching with wet tires. You can see in the second video that the rear end drops, the truck kind of sits still for a split second, and then it goes. Also, mud tires aren't the best for speed.

Fourth, my exhaust setup is FAR from flowing well. SI/DO flowmaster with dual 2.25" piping after the muffler is a pretty big restriction. I'm trying to put my cutout in before I get to the track next time.

Also, for the time being, I'm only tuned for (and running) 87 octane.

14.752 @ 93.21

Videos:
The finish line wasn't marked, so I ended up letting off early, and running a 15.4 Truck in the right lane was having some pretty serious traction issues.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SASBEWF4cZE

MUCH better this time, but like I said before, you can see the little hesitation after the launch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nh5tbuHzSM

And some pictures.

I love this shot for some reason.

The blue RCSB is Mike (HiSpdJunkie)'s truck. I think his best time was 14.9 @ 97. He was having some serious traction issues.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was talkin to another Jersey cat, & he said timing would be pulled if that were true, up to 8* IIRC. Nice pics. Waterbox, I had same problem for 1 of my runs. They're street vehicles, yet he sprayed water across 2 lanes almost 25' when said & done.

Nice R/T. You're just a lil faster, for now anyway.
Might wanna get that vid of the 2 slow NJ 6.0L's.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:57 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your truck's got a lot more in it Dan, like you mentioned, it had a lot going against it tonight. I'm almost 99% sure that the PCM will pull timing if there's a knock sensor code, as a fail safe, since it doesn't have a correct knock signal to reference...and yes, the air sucked tonight (or last night...geeze it's late, gotta get up early today to go to E-town )...not to mention all the other crap you already mentioned lol.

See you in a few hours...I already have the balancer puller in the Blazer
Old 04-17-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Must have been at Atco...I hate that it is impossible to avoid the waterbox there. After I did one AWD burnout there, they asked that I do not do it again (slid sideways and kicked a cone into the wall).

You should hook up with our little group as we hit the track about monthly. Alternating from Atco, E-Town and Island. I will post up next time we go.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be low 14s easy with the right conditions.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:51 AM
something else

Congrats on getting into the 14's!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:02 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice run! Looks like you had fun!

The drag strip is fun, but we always think we are going to be faster than we are.

You just need practice, thats all, Hell i need lots of strip practice too.

It will come. Looks like your 60' is hurting you.

Just have fun and dont sweat it, you'll be running better each time you go.

Congrats again on your hard work, i know exactly what you went thru LOL !
Old 04-17-2010, 11:07 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by krambo
Must have been at Atco...I hate that it is impossible to avoid the waterbox there. After I did one AWD burnout there, they asked that I do not do it again (slid sideways and kicked a cone into the wall).

You should hook up with our little group as we hit the track about monthly. Alternating from Atco, E-Town and Island. I will post up next time we go.
Yup, Atco. And DEFINITELY let me know next time you go somewhere, I'm dead in the middle of all three tracks, so I'm down to go to any of them.

Were you at the OK 4wd show in October? If so, then I was drooling over your truck. If not, then there's another black SS with a 408 in the area.

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Nice run! Looks like you had fun!

The drag strip is fun, but we always think we are going to be faster than we are.

You just need practice, thats all, Hell i need lots of strip practice too.

It will come. Looks like your 60' is hurting you.

Just have fun and dont sweat it, you'll be running better each time you go.

Congrats again on your hard work, i know exactly what you went thru LOL !
Yeah the whole launching with wet mud tires isn't exactly a winning 60' combo.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something is definitely not right, even if the computer was pulling 8*s of timing. I ran a 15.1 in ok air with a stock 5.3 with nelson tune, 3K TCI stall, cutout and an ebay filter. Nothing else was done to the truck. I also trapped over 88mph. So that means only a difference of less than 5mph and youve got lts, more cubes and a cam. I was on 32" all terrains too.

Get that exhaust opened up and the knock sensor issue fixed, Im interested to see how big a difference that makes. Id really expext your combo to be in the 13.5 range at close to 100.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:55 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Something is definitely not right, even if the computer was pulling 8*s of timing. I ran a 15.1 in ok air with a stock 5.3 with nelson tune, 3K TCI stall, cutout and an ebay filter. Nothing else was done to the truck. I also trapped over 88mph. So that means only a difference of less than 5mph and youve got lts, more cubes and a cam. I was on 32" all terrains too.

Get that exhaust opened up and the knock sensor issue fixed, Im interested to see how big a difference that makes. Id really expext your combo to be in the 13.5 range at close to 100.
I would be ecstatic to see anything better than a 14.0. There will be a cutout on by the next time I go down there, and the knock sensors will be fixed ASAP, I just have to find time. I'd do it today, but the stealership doesn't do Sundays.

Oh, I also have the manual T-case (which won't shift to 2wd under power), so that's costing me a couple MPH as well. I've definitely got some testing to do after I get it running right, I just hope I can get more than 2 runs in next time.

Quick Reply: First time at the track with the 6.0 - Pictures, video, and timeslips