Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Tuning after a pro tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 10:55 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
You should do them completely separate. Even if your ve values are perfect, you don't know the amount of contribution to error from maf if ve is contributing to the charge estimation...unless you back calculated using the dynamic filter values which are not always available for calibration or viewing. Also that would be painstakingly tedious.

Ken, your lean tip in cannot be fixed using the ve table. It needs transient fueling adjustment which may or may not be available for calibration... But whatever you do, don't pay any attention to stft or wideband information during an rpm or map delta where the transient fueling model would be active. Even if any transient fueling calibration was accurate (they aren't) and you could actually comprehensively calibrate for transient fuel (you can't), the most robust method of dialing in ve values still involves ignoring fueling feedback during a transient.

Hpt and efi live are good, but they can't do everything. Ask me why I stopped calibrating for the aftermarket
Yeah, like you actually know anything???
Old 08-10-2016, 05:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in AZ
I'm wondering if the Transient fueling is to blame for both the part throttle miss between 2500-3200 and the Lean tip in.

I was worried that the misfire could be timing related or my gap is too large on my plugs, but at the same time I'm thinking that because it fixes itself by lowering the AFR with PE then it cant be. I am running TR6 Iridium plugs if that matters?
Well, like others have suggested, post a log and a copy of your tune file. What is your gap set at?
Old 08-10-2016, 07:49 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Yeah, like you actually know anything???
I'll plant a virus in your truck.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FFDP
Post up your tune and logs if you want any of us to view them and offer advise too if you want other eyes to look at it.
I will I will but give me some time...I feel like an author or something where I don't want anyone to see it till I'm finished - Hahaha

Made some Major improvements this morning in driveability.

Searched online last night looking for injector data for the Seimens Deka 80lb - seems like injector data is only for the elitist of the elite for the most part. There are quite a few threads out there where people are straight up dicks about it. Then I found a bunch of tunes with the injectors being used, then I found that there is an excel spreadsheet to interpret the Ford racing injector data and converts it to useable HP Tuners data. I then compared all the data I had against my tune and everyone else's tune - and it's all over the place - frustrating. I decided to go with the Ford Racing converted data since it is the only credible source I could reference.

Loaded the data in this morning for my morning commute and it started and ran OK - I was expecting it to not run actually.

I then decided to mess with the EOIT normal. Thanks to madmann26 for the heads up on that and the theory is sound, so I went for it. Started with a value of 1.2 added to the normal and make up. Truck didn't like it. Dropped it back to stock, then added .7 across both normal and make up. Truck responded very VERY well.

Since I did both changes at the same time I can't be sure which did more, but that part throttle stutter is gone GONE. Fuel trims are about the same during idle and cruise. My WOT targets are pig rich.

But overall the truck runs sooooo much more smooth. Idle is better, even the smell of the exhaust is better. I seriously stank after driving the thing. Before the truck ran like it was on the ragged edge. Felt like the cam was way too big and it was never gonna get any better. That's why I wanted to get a slightly smaller cam to help. If my truck ran this good at first I highly doubt I'd be getting a new cam. It just drives so much better.

I'll be loading the data into my SD tune and MAF tune so that I can get my AFR WOT targets back in line.

I'm hoping this is the ticket. - bad news is that snap throttle off idle still goes hella lean - it's almost a little worse now, but a million times better than before.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Also - this thread wasn't designed to discredit my original Tuner.

I want to be sure to give credit where credit is due. I have the most Frankenstein oddball combo that he has seen in a long time and he did a great job with the bench tune and working with the problems I had on the dyno. Exhaust leaks causing problems and such, big injectors oversized for the application and a 3 bar map sensor, and not only that - he had to tune off the B2 narrow band since the exhaust was so bad.

For what he had to work with he did an Awesome job - I definitely was more than happy with the product I received. I would still be struggling to get the truck to run, let alone tune for driveability LOL

This is more of a touch up to the base tune I got after I fixed a bunch of stuff.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Starting over with the new injector data and EOIT. I lost track of what changes I made and what affect they had.

Here are my tunes...

Base tune is named: 2002 Silverado Ken Hogg 35.9 New Inj Data

MAF calibration tune is named: 2002 Silverado Ken Hogg 35.9 New Inj Data MAF Calibration Tune

Speed Density tune is named: 2002 Silverado Ken Hogg 35.9 New Inj Data SD Calibration Tune

I'll post up what I end up after tuning VE and MAF and go from there. I'm thinking of lowering my fuel pressure to 43lbs to give the injector longer to fire at idle.

Last edited by Ken in AZ; 08-16-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Hmm, it won't let me open them. It just opens a new webpage and fails to load instead of bringing up a HPT file.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I wonder if I link one and it does the same thing.

test.

I got this one to work, you might be linking the wrong file from your browser.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
05 GXP.hpt (1.42 MB, 64 views)
Old 08-12-2016, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Not sure what's up with it - I'll try again tomorrow
Old 08-17-2016, 01:20 PM
Launching!

I think it was a firewall setting - try these...

The New Inj Data file I've just been messing with some idle stuff this morning...haven't tested the changes yet.

I've tried to mask the lean tip in at idle with PE and so far it has helped, but not eliminated it. Also - the studder at 2400rpm is gone, but the fuel trims go crazy and I can kinda feel it, so I tuned them out with PE as well.

FYI - New stock intake arrived yesterday, new gaskets should be here Monday, New Cam came today. Should start tuning next week after I get it all installed. gonna be a long weekend.

Reason for the new intake is that I think my intake is leaking like a sieve since I ported it. MAF is pretty jumpy under load. I think that may be what I'm fighting against. New intake and gaskets should resolve any doubt of a leaky intake and expose any other problems I may have mechanical in nature. FWIW - my STFT's have gotten worse than what they were when I started tuning, that's what makes me believe it's intake related.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
Drive to work tuned.hpl (779.1 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Ken in AZ; 08-17-2016 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Tuning after a pro tune