PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/)
-   -   Tuning after a pro tune (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/tuning-after-pro-tune-544996/)

Ken in AZ 07-15-2016 01:27 PM

Tuning after a pro tune

So I just had my truck tuned for one intake (Holley Hi-Ram) Turd for NA below 7K rpm

I replaced it with a ported L92 intake which has sooo much more mid range HP and TQ already without a tune, but there are some discrepancies and flat spots I can feel.

Since I had the tough stuff done already by the Tuner, I don't really need to mess with the timing tables - at least I don't think so. Could I go in and adjust the AFR? Do I need to completely redo the VE table or can I just adjust the PE Command?

I never meant to tune this truck by myself, but it's fun to tinker with and I don't think I can really mess too much up as long as I don't touch the timing tables.

I plan on getting a wideband gauge with an output to work in the EGR pin and be able to log it in HPT

Thanks

03sierraslt 07-15-2016 01:32 PM

Changing the intake will change your airflow. The timing table is based off of your airflow readings.

Ken in AZ 07-15-2016 01:48 PM

So - From what I've read - I have to go drive around for a while logging my VE table with my MAF virtually disconnected. Then paste those values into the tuner VE table and add/subtract them or something, cant remember exactly but I have the pages added to my favorites so I can go back and read them.

Does that sound like I'm on the right track?

Ken in AZ 07-15-2016 01:50 PM

Would it be different if I had wideband?

smokeshow 07-15-2016 02:02 PM

Do you want the simple easy answer or the long technical one lol

Ken in AZ 07-15-2016 02:13 PM

Haha smokeshow, I think I know the answer but everything I've found online is "years" old and my tuner tuned the truck in so little time, it makes me wonder what he did to make it so easy.

I'm thinking he's tuned so many vehicles over the years that he has files that are already so on the money that he just uploaded them to my PCM.

If I want to "tune" I'll have to do it the long way.

Atomic 07-15-2016 02:33 PM

Log fuel error against the VE table (if your MAF is gone/disabled) and/or the MAF table and apply to your tune file. 5% error in the scanner means add/subtract 5% "air" into those tables.

smokeshow 07-15-2016 02:38 PM

A correction to your airmass estimation for the new intake flow dynamics will also correct your actual timing values. Assuming the original timing values were dialed in well, no actual timing changes need to be made. Sort of counter-intuitive, but that's how it works out.

Ken in AZ 07-15-2016 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic (Post 5370152)
Log fuel error against the VE table (if your MAF is gone/disabled) and/or the MAF table and apply to your tune file. 5% error in the scanner means add/subtract 5% "air" into those tables.

LOL - I wish I knew what that meant

Does that mean use the scanner to log a graph of something?

Atomic 07-15-2016 05:34 PM

Oh boy haha

I do email tuning if you want me to do it for you :)

But if you want to learn, then yea you are basically recording in the scanner how "off" the tune file is by logging the various sensors on the vehicle then adjusting the tune so the error is smaller.