Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Run your 4L80E swap on a 4L60e tune with no segment swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 4l80e running with a 4l80e tune and a 3200 converter. My converter basically never locks. Ive only seen it lock two or three times. Is this sacred information that you're selling something that will fix my problem?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:19 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jake, you obviously don't know what you're talking about in regard to copyright & patent law. Good luck with that.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Jake, you obviously don't know what you're talking about in regard to copyright & patent law. Good luck with that.
I'm not an attorney but I do have one...
A copyright protects you but isn't required in every circumstance.

The problem is this,
If something is developed by me, John, or anybody else that works for me, in the past we hoped that the average customer and competitor had enough honor and integrity to respect that so we don't have to spend the money to copyright everything we make into print (like transbrake instructions, tech tip sheets, etc). Everytime we copyright/patent something it cost the company money that has to be passed on to the customer.

Copyrighting the instructions sheets isn't that expensive but will be getting done from now on due to this thread.
Patenting is a fairly expensive ordeal. If I patent a part and spend $10-20k to make that happen, then the part is much more expensive than it had to be.
For the most part in the transmission industry, the companies and individuals have at least some sense of this. Some ripoffs have happened but for the most part, most of us would rather put an original idea on the market.
However I will be spending the money to patent some of my more advanced new projects in the near future. What this creates is a delay in marketing the product and increases prices to the customer. I can't sell the product until I have a provisional patent.

On a low volume part, it can add considerable expense. A part that I could sell for $100 or so will be a $300 part to pay me back for patent fees.

I'm a pretty open minded kind of person. If someone wanted to "copy" one of my parts for use by themselves or a friend, I wouldn't be offended. That's how "hot-rodding" gets done sometimes, and how we get new talent in the industry to continue learning.

In the case of the instruction sheet that was posted here, if the poster had simply given it to a friend for their use too, or maybe even posted HOW to do it, that's not a big deal. But to post an instruction sheet someone else took the time to develop, write up, compile, AND offer tech support on is another.
What a customer is actually paying for on the instruction sheet is the tech support that came along with it. Which I KNOW John has spent considerable time doing.

If there wasn't some basis to my statement (that I edited because I aimed it at the wrong person) the instructions would still be posted, but I don't think IBB wants to deal with that legally.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

I found this info from a quick Google search, I believe this is the schematic everyone is talking about

If you want to delete PWM you need 1 relay, use one of these two schematics...

near the transmission

Name:  Not-PWM-1.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  57.9 KB

near the PCM

Name:  Not-PWM-2.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  57.1 KB

If you want to keep the PWM you need 2 relays, use one of these two schematics

near the transmission
Name:  PWM-1.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  72.8 KB

near the PCM

Name:  PWM-2.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  70.7 KB

And Jake, your story changes every time you talk about this damn relay mod. Your boy was not the first to come up with it, he got the idea from someone else and improved upon it, nevermind the fact that you've said you gave him some manuals and he came up with on his own. So how does that make him a contractor to you. To my knowledge this info is not copyrighted. In addition your boy would need to be added to your sponsorship if you want him to be under the Jakes Performance Transmission umbrella, and even then you're NOT a sponsor on this site. Feel free to contact IB about additional sponsorship dues if you want to come to this side of the fence.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I'm not an attorney but I do have one...
A copyright protects you but isn't required in every circumstance.

The problem is this,
If something is developed by me, John, or anybody else that works for me, in the past we hoped that the average customer and competitor had enough honor and integrity to respect that so we don't have to spend the money to copyright everything we make into print (like transbrake instructions, tech tip sheets, etc). Everytime we copyright/patent something it cost the company money that has to be passed on to the customer.

Copyrighting the instructions sheets isn't that expensive but will be getting done from now on due to this thread.
Patenting is a fairly expensive ordeal. If I patent a part and spend $10-20k to make that happen, then the part is much more expensive than it had to be.
For the most part in the transmission industry, the companies and individuals have at least some sense of this. Some ripoffs have happened but for the most part, most of us would rather put an original idea on the market.
However I will be spending the money to patent some of my more advanced new projects in the near future. What this creates is a delay in marketing the product and increases prices to the customer. I can't sell the product until I have a provisional patent.

On a low volume part, it can add considerable expense. A part that I could sell for $100 or so will be a $300 part to pay me back for patent fees.

I'm a pretty open minded kind of person. If someone wanted to "copy" one of my parts for use by themselves or a friend, I wouldn't be offended. That's how "hot-rodding" gets done sometimes, and how we get new talent in the industry to continue learning.

In the case of the instruction sheet that was posted here, if the poster had simply given it to a friend for their use too, or maybe even posted HOW to do it, that's not a big deal. But to post an instruction sheet someone else took the time to develop, write up, compile, AND offer tech support on is another.
What a customer is actually paying for on the instruction sheet is the tech support that came along with it. Which I KNOW John has spent considerable time doing.

If there wasn't some basis to my statement (that I edited because I aimed it at the wrong person) the instructions would still be posted, but I don't think IBB wants to deal with that legally.
If the payment is for the tech support, not the instructions then what's the big deal? Its a use at your own risk type deal, just like everything else posted on this forum.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:57 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Uh-Oh, Google better watch out, or Jake's gonna get the interwebz turned off!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually Frost on Ls1Tech sells this plug-n-play harness...

TunedByFrost.com - Products
Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Stealing implies claiming ownership of said intellectual property....that, he does NOT do. With no copyright it falls under the freedom of information act and is available for everyone's use.
This. If he has a copyright then by all means someone was in the wrong but if he just passed out some information and someone else posted it up to help other members there is nothing illegal or wrong.
Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Uh-Oh, Google better watch out, or Jake's gonna get the interwebz turned off!
Funny story I managed to get an admin on another forum so upset over the stupidest thing that he has banned all of GCI from accessing his webpage now

So I just had a couple forum members help me out TONS with setting up a wiring diagram for some switches I want to run in my truck. Guess I should ask them for their Paypal so I can send them money. What is the going internet hourly rate now??

geesh.....
Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Actually Frost on Ls1Tech sells this plug-n-play harness...

TunedByFrost.com - Products
Damn good find!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

So.....about my question....what happens with the torque converter if the pwm signal isn't there

Quick Reply: Run your 4L80E swap on a 4L60e tune with no segment swap