Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

pinging 5.3l

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinging 5.3l

hey guys. i gotta interesting situation. i have a 2000 chevy silverado 2wd with a basically stock 5.3l in it. the only things i have done is a CAI and a catback. the truck has nearly 88K miles on it so it's pretty low mileage. i've noticed over the last few weeks that i get a ping whenever there's a decent load on the truck but i can't for the life of me figure out why. going up a hill or towing another vehicle will cause it to ping. this is on 87octane. if i put in 92 or higher the ping goes away. i just don't believe that i need that high of octane. i mean this is a pretty basic setup. stock lm7 only has like 9.5:1 scr, aluminum heads, and efi. it should be plenty happy on just 87 octane.

i have no check engine light, and it runs great, other than the ping. i put some 93 in it earlier today and the ping is gone again.

thinking knock senors maybe? dirty injectors? pcv clogged or something? i'm not having any smoking, and the gas mileage is about correct i guess. (15city/19hwy). hottest i've seen water temp get is about 195-200 so i don't feel like it's running lean or anything.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:19 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you buy it used? Maybe it has a 93 octane tune? can you scan? how many tanks of fuel have you run through and no change?
Old 07-02-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the tune hasn't been touched. i bought it from the original owner who was an old man that drove it to the golf course and back.

the problem seems to come and go. i haven't pin-pointed it to one single gas station or anything since it seems to happen off and on. it does seem to be doing it with more regularity now. and when it happens, i put better octane or an octane booster in it and it stops the pinging.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 306 Likes on 223 Posts

crappy gas....
Old 07-02-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get it tuned! you may free up some horse power, and get alittle bettery mileage.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Not too surprising, I have seen some KR in about every stock tune in which I have started with whether the car/truck has absolutely nothing done or a few simple changes like cai and exhaust. Now in your case even with a simple change to a cold air intake the truck will need to be tuned to get fueling back in line to where it should be because that factory MAF calibration was done for the stock intake and paper filter and that has now had a pretty moderate change.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm...interesting thoughts. i'll get my buddy with hptuners to look at the fueling maps and see if we can tweek some things. i know there's mileage and power left on the table even in factory form. i was hoping to not mess with the tune till i got some e-fans and headers installed. it's not a racetruck by any stretch of the imagination. i'm not looking for every ounce of power. however, i do a lot of towing with this truck, and would like it to tow as good as possible, while getting the best mileage as possible, and still be able to pass people without getting into trouble.

would the best fix for now be to just run a bit better grade of fuel? think it's running lean from the cai and the exhaust? it's 88k miles and 10 years old. think a knock sensor could be starting to go wacky and not pulling timing like it should, yet not pitch a check engine light?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 767 Likes on 634 Posts

Could be carbon build up...try a little SeaFoam...
Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Could be carbon build up...try a little SeaFoam...
i've ran seafoam and other injector cleaners through it in the past, and it hsa a relatively fresh fuel filter on it (about 10k miles old).

should i just run another can of seafoam through the tank, or suck it through one of the vacuum lines?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 767 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum
i've ran seafoam and other injector cleaners through it in the past, and it hsa a relatively fresh fuel filter on it (about 10k miles old).

should i just run another can of seafoam through the tank, or suck it through one of the vacuum lines?
1/2 through the vacum line and the other half in the tank.

Tank Is ok But The bigest difference is through the Intake vacum. I had some bad build up at around 119K It was so bad I thought the valves might be kissing the piston under light load. Dont think its possible on a stock cam but thats what it sound like. Worst Pinging I ever heard.

Run around 1/3-1/2 through the intake after its up to temp. Put the other 1/2 in the tank. Hopefully you have around 1/2 a tank of gas. Drive it around for how ever long it takes for it to stop smoking. I drove the **** out of mine for almost in an hour on both the fwy and streets verying the load and rpm up and down. for it smoke that long shows how much build up there was. If you still have pinging after that try another cleanning through the 1/3 in the vacum and 1/3 in the oil. any thing thats left in the tank. Run it for 15-20 min take it around the block and then do a fresh oil change.

Quick Reply: pinging 5.3l