Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

P0442

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You relocate the filter to the top left trans housing bolt. To keep it away from water and debris. At least this is what we do at the dealership.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:24 AM

The can it self just sucks in air from the one side and the filter goes from what?

Only reason I'm asking is because there was no info in the box, just the two items and that was all.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Paulie
The can it self just sucks in air from the one side and the filter goes from what?

Only reason I'm asking is because there was no info in the box, just the two items and that was all.
The filter is where the valve vents to atmosphere...we recently did this repair on tdrumm's 06 cc vmax and attached the filter to the firewall next to the brake booster. I have the part for my 99 also, but I plan to attach my filter at the back of the block/top of trans bellhousing as the TSB states. The part is a little different, with a different pn for the older models btw...
Old 11-04-2011, 12:07 PM

wheww, running from the back of the tank to the brake booster, I'm gonna need some longer hose.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Reviving an old thread as this was probably the most thorough I found searching on P0442 - at near 90K my 2006 Silverado SS started with the "tighten fuel cap" error message. Cap was an aftermarket locking cap with the O-ring in pretty bad shape, so I figured safe bet to try it first. Replaced with OEM cap, no difference.

Shortly after began having trouble filling the tank. Gas pump kicks off even on the slowest setting, multiple times per attempt to fill. Fairly consistent now and a real pain to fill up the truck. CEL on full time now with P0442.

Ordered part # 19207763 since my truck is a 2006, found it for $76 shipped on ebay, best price I could find on real AC Delco without searching forever. Will follow up once it arrives and I get a chance to install and see if it fixes the issue for my truck. Hoping I don't need an evap canister, too.

Richard
Old 11-20-2017, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

blow out those evap lines before you install the new canister
Old 11-22-2017, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Hoping I won't need a new canister but we'll see after it gets some miles on it. Here's my post I put up on Chevytalk, figured it would be helpful here as well:

Patient is a 2006 Silverado SS - Intimidator edition, about 90K miles on it. A little while back began getting the TIGHTEN FUEL CAP error on the driver display. Code check showed P0442 small evap leak; further driving resulted in P0455 gross evap leak. Began having trouble filling the tank as the pump would constantly click off even at the slowest setting.

When it was just P0442 first hope was just needing a gas cap, since the one I had was an aftermarket locking cap with a very cracked O-ring seal. Installed new AC Delco # GT225 (GM # 15763225) a little different from original, doesn't have a "line" style tether on it but surround-style, but it's OEM and works fine. Cleared code and it came back, not really a surprise.

Next up, ordered AC Delco # 214-2082 (GM # 19207763) revised canister purge valve assembly. There are 2 different part #'s depending on your year model of GMT800 truck so look it up before ordering. This is the revision where the filter is separate so it can be remote mounted.

Old purge valve/filter assembly removed. Take care removing the clip from the white plastic connector to the canister; fingernail or a small screwdriver to gently push the tabs loose and slide the clip out - you're re-using the white plastic piece, which requires carefully cutting the plastic hose off with a utility knife, small side cutters, etc. I also used needle nose to help peel the hose off.

Purchased 12' of 1/2" hose, need about 16" of it to attach new purge valve to the canister, the rest of it to remote mount the filter towards the front of the truck. This is enough for my 2006 extended cab with purge valve at rear of tank and my chosen place to mount the filter by the transmission; measure your own installation to be sure.

New purge valve in place and connected, and found it easier to feed the hose from the large hole in the frame ahead of the tank and push towards the rear, then route the rest along the frame above the fuel line clamps and ABS module bracket.

Mounted remote filter above transmission tailshaft housing, zip-tied to the transmission vent hose, not too tight so the hose doesn't get pinched.

Cleared codes using Torque Pro, BAFX Products bluetooth OBD2 adapter, and my trusty BlackBerry Passport SE.

Post-mortem on the old filter showed a little bit of dust, not a ton of it, so I'm hoping my canister is still good. Some driving when I return to work Friday should show whether the codes come back, if they do, I'll do the canister next.

Richard