Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Mechanical oil pressure gauge location?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mechanical oil pressure gauge location?

Hey guys need some quick info. I've got a 2005 Saab 9-7x that I just swapped another 5.3 into and thought I had low / no oil pressure problems. The sending unit was working on the truck I pulled it out of as the gauge on the dash read fine. Once I swapped it in the Saab however it is reading basically nothing. I'm thinking it was the sending unit all along though as I hooked a mechanical gauge up to 2 different ports in the pan and both read over 50psi cold at idle.

question is is this a good spot to get a reading? The oil filter is in the center of the pan as its front sump and awd. So it has 2 Allen plugs. I removed one checked it...then removed the other and checked...both had good psi. My GTO had a small cover in this spot and I drilled and tapped it to read oil pan on it...so I assume it would be a good spot for this vehicle as well. Should I just assume I have good PSI now and try to replace the sending unit? Or should I try to check it at the sending unit as well. I don't have a adapter for it through. Since it's like a 16mm thread.

I'm probably being over paranoid at this point. But just would like some input. The 2 plugs I'm pulling pressure off of are at the rear of the pan on this pic.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

If they are after the filter then they are OK. If you have access to a shop manual, it will have an oil flow diagram. That is too different from a truck, I think, to give a definite answer.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Both of those tubes run directly to the filter so I know one is pre filter and the other is post filter I'm almost certain. So that being said. Bother were over 50 PSI I and within 5 Psi of each other. This was only temporary to check for pressure so I'm assuming I have a bad sending unit? I'm also wondering if there might be a difference from for gen 3 to gen 4 sensors?
Old 08-24-2018, 05:56 AM
Staging Lane

*FIXED*

​​​​​​This all started because I thought I had low oil pressure. Turns out the oil psi sender was not working or not the same as the one for my Saab 9-7x. The connector on both wet both 3 pins but they did look just a but different. Gauge on dash is working great now.

In review for the thread though. Those 2 plugs in the rest of the pan work well for reading psi. They are fairly easy to get to as well. Was reading 50psi or more on both. If I were actually mounting a gauge permanently it would make sense to use the POST filter one though. The factory gauge just has L and H but appears to be spot on with 50psi or so.