Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Auto Meter Oil pressure gauge sending unit location

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Meter Oil pressure gauge sending unit location

I tried doing a search on this and couldn't find anything. I was told on LS1 tech that i can use the port on the back of the intake manifold (with the right adapter) because the PCM doesn't use the oil pressure info for anything, but the LS1 intake is different than the LQ4 so, I'm not sure I can take that to the bank. What location do most people use?
Old 03-12-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

drilling and taping the bolt on elbow on the driver side of the block by the oil filter with 1/8 pipe thread would be the best. This is the factory oil cooler discharge position. Most people use this location for oil supply for their turbos etc.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mjhoward
drilling and taping the bolt on elbow on the driver side of the block by the oil filter with 1/8 pipe thread would be the best. This is the factory oil cooler discharge position. Most people use this location for oil supply for their turbos etc.
This is what he is talking about.

This is directly above the oil filter, I have an engine oil cooler mounted on my truck.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:30 AM
Launching!

I also have the oil cooler but I bought what I thought was that part pictured on GMpartsdirect.com and it's the wrong one. The one that I got somehow managed to be just a block off fitting with no T. So can I use the one on the back of the motor is the question.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blackdog76
I also have the oil cooler but I bought what I thought was that part pictured on GMpartsdirect.com and it's the wrong one. The one that I got somehow managed to be just a block off fitting with no T. So can I use the one on the back of the motor is the question.
it is some kind of straight metric thread I believe and not a tapered pipe thread that you could easily find fittings for at a hardware store. I doubt you could use it easily. As I said before, i'd use the lower one. If it has a pipe thread on it with the oil cooler then you just have to get a brass T fitting. I have never worked on one with the oil cooler to tell you if it has pipe thread down there or not.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mjhoward
it is some kind of straight metric thread I believe and not a tapered pipe thread that you could easily find fittings for at a hardware store. I doubt you could use it easily. As I said before, i'd use the lower one. If it has a pipe thread on it with the oil cooler then you just have to get a brass T fitting. I have never worked on one with the oil cooler to tell you if it has pipe thread down there or not.

Nope, no thread on the oil cooler. Plus I'm worried that the sender will be too close to my headers. I orderd the correct adapter online made by autometer.