Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Help!! No start after tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DrX
I was pretty rough on that too. Much easier after I remembered to remove the oil dipstick tube.
Yeah had the dipstick tube out. Still tossed it around a bit. Didn't know the starter was so close to the CPS.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Looks like you have access to GM's service data also. I have this and other information printed out, ready for my next jaunt under the truck. Thanks for the post!

Really a bad day... will be a while before I get back at it. The truck had me bummed out... right after posting this thread I received a call. My father passed away this morning.
So sorry this has to be about the worst day ever,cant imagine what that would be like,although i worry my old man, just turned 70 and he's left yesterday to nalans with the redcross,he lives young but **** you never know.Sorry dude.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:13 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for your loss. May you enjoy wonderful memories.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a big hit. Sorry you have to experience the pain of having a loved one move on.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Finished up all the funeral details today. To get my mind off things I crawled back under the truck. Found I had broken the 12V signal wire to the CPS. Soldered it back up and the truck fired right up. Starter didn't sound good.. I've heard starters that sound like it. Kinda like it is grinding as it cranks.

Anyway started filling up the tranny with fluid. As it warmed up started making the scrapping/wheezing sound. This is the "worse" sound it started making before I shut it down for the tranny install. No noise from underneath at least. Still didn't pinpoint it but sounds like maybe the passenger valve train area. Shut it back down to let it cool back off. Went to start it again and the starter just ground but didn't turn over. Do they still make shims for starters? I am really getting frustrated with things.

After the funeral I'll did back into it. My hearts just not in it now.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:29 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hang in there , youll get her done, Im very sorry for your loss,was your father into cars/trucks? howd he like your supercharged truck? hope everything else works out for you, our prayers are with you.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TIM Z
hang in there , youll get her done, Im very sorry for your loss,was your father into cars/trucks? howd he like your supercharged truck? hope everything else works out for you, our prayers are with you.
He had a few muscle cars when he was young. I remember a 69 Mustang he bought new. A 70 Chevelle. I barely remember a 56 Chevy and going to the dragstrip with him in it. I must have been a toddler. He didn't have anything but cars to get him around as he got older. He did thrash the GTO I had a few years ago on every occasion he got. Never got him in the truck. His health was to bad. Don't think he ever did believe me when I told him I turn better times at the track in the truck than I did with the GTO. Never put slicks on the GTO it was severely traction limited.

Thanks for the kind words and prayers Tim. I will get the truck going. Just doesn't seem so important now.

Last edited by KySilverado; 02-14-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Drove the truck about 5-6 miles today. As I posted above the no start was a cut wire to the Crank Position Sensor. Found I didn't tighten up the starter well after fixing the CPS wire. That was the starter grind problem. Still have the strange noise going on so I'm not going to drive it until I get it figured out. Must be something in the engine. Might be time for a new 6.0 longblock.

The new tranny worked well. Of course I haven't got much time on it but it shifted nice and firm on a couple part throttle pulls. Much better than my stocker with transgo.