Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Handheld Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can put a tune over another tune whether its via HP Tuners, or Diablo Predator, at least that has been my experience.
I love HP Tuners, and its awsome what one can do with it, but there is a learning curve for sure too. Specially for Tech challenged older guys!!
I took my previous favorite cruise trans enhanced tune for my truck and used the new Predator to put E85 flexability in my non flex fuel truck. The truck took to it like a duck to water!!
I love HP Tuners, but I also like the Predator and its capabilities as a tool.
My previous Hypertech was OK in 2003 for putting in a low octane tune, add a few trans enhancements but I had no ability to change fuel or spark. If I used a high octane tune and there was knock I could only add octane or remove the tune.
The Predator is not HP TUners but it does allow you a quick way to adjust fuel and spark, and mine has some logging capability.
With HP Tuners I can log without the laptop, but I need the laptop to see the info. We are a one laptop family....enough said!!
Basically I have been doing specific changes with HP Tuners, and use that as my new base tune with Predator and to add E85 capability.
The truck seems to be running better then ever and it loves that American Corn fuel!!
You have to keep track and always put the base tune back in or you can lock yourself out the Predator, you never lock yourself out of HP Tuners.
I don't have to worry about carrying my laptop, having it move around in the truck, or having it stolen. At the track the Predator would be great for making smaller fuel/spark changes adjusting for bracket racing, NOS, etc.
They all have a place and its basically a personal choice.
I am not knocking a professional tune, I just like learning myself plus when one is on the road, or at the track that Pro tuner is not there to hold your hand!!

Carlos
Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

The hand held tuners also do have residual value as I restored the original tune in the Hypertech and got about 1/3 of my original buy price. Sold it the first night on Ebay, nothing exceptional but not bad for 4 years use and now a down payment on newer tech!!

Carlos
Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 PM
formerly charlyroxs411 (changed 11/19/2012)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was in the same situation i thought because superchip was more expensive i thought it was better. i payed 400 and some for it. i got in my friends truck with wheatleys tune and was shocked with how it ran. i sold my superchip for about 200 and went with a FLACO tune when i did my first WOT run i was shocked and almost crapped my pants. get a custom tune and you will NEVER go back trust me on this
Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

If you want a single investment yes, a single tune from a pro gets you there.
I have been playing with HP Tuners and what I learned from the other tunes and my truck is running great, with MPG!!
If you like to learn, and have an adjustment window for future improvements learning to tune is another choice!!

Carlos
Old 02-07-2009, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyscraper38
I know the majority of people on here are going to tell me to save the money and buy a custom tune, but i dont want a custom i want a handheld so which one is the best? Predator, Hypertech, Superchip? one of my buddies had a handheld and a few bolt ons nothing major and could chirp 2nd, i have a tune on my (came with the truck, but the guy didnt give me the handheld, what it good it did him idk?) and i can chirp 2nd, and i have a few bolt ons, but i want it tuned diffrent.
I am willing to bet your truck no longer has a tune on it. If it does, the handheld the guy kept is worthless. They are dedicated/locked to the truck they load the tune on and can only be unlocked to use on another vehicle if the truck it was used on was returned to stock. This prevents people from buying a handheld and "tuning" multiple trucks with it.

I had an Edge Evolution and selling it and getting a custom tune was the best thing I ever did. Luckily I only lost $50 on the Edge mistake.