Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Handheld Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handheld Tune

I know the majority of people on here are going to tell me to save the money and buy a custom tune, but i dont want a custom i want a handheld so which one is the best? Predator, Hypertech, Superchip? one of my buddies had a handheld and a few bolt ons nothing major and could chirp 2nd, i have a tune on my (came with the truck, but the guy didnt give me the handheld, what it good it did him idk?) and i can chirp 2nd, and i have a few bolt ons, but i want it tuned diffrent.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:06 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chirping gears only indicates trans line pressure is up, not really an indication of power. Why wouldn't you want a real tune? Just curious to what advantage you think a handheld will offer over a custom tune with free updates?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it already has a tune in there it is doubtful that you will be able to upload different software. That leaves you with 2 options, mail order custom tune (your best bet) or you could find another ECM to swap out and then put a handheld on that one! Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong about being able to put a tune onto a ecm that is already been tuned
Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trever1t
Chirping gears only indicates trans line pressure is up, not really an indication of power. Why wouldn't you want a real tune? Just curious to what advantage you think a handheld will offer over a custom tune with free updates?
im not tryin to be a smartass, but its just when i pay alot of money for something i like to have something to show for it, and a custom tune i dont have nothing to show, and if i was to ever sell my truck i could take the handheld off and put it on my dads, not sure if thats the same way on the custom tune without having the guy come out and do it...
Old 01-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sonoma43
If it already has a tune in there it is doubtful that you will be able to upload different software. That leaves you with 2 options, mail order custom tune (your best bet) or you could find another ECM to swap out and then put a handheld on that one! Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong about being able to put a tune onto a ecm that is already been tuned
thanks for bringing that up, i also meant to ask could i put a tune over the one thats currently on the truck since i cant take it off because the dick head kept it.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

just so you know, it's been dyno proven that some handheld's actually lose power over a stock tune.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

You're going to have $400 bucks in it anyway, buy hptuners, or efilive if you have a laptop. Then you can tune your dads truck, your buddys truck....
Old 01-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO hand helds are a waste of money.. I don't see the point of having to spend more on one of them then a custom tune, when infact a custom tune is better by alot hands down If you want something to show, show your friend that you can bust his *** with a 300 $ tune, over his 4xx hand held. It speaks for itself, there is a reason that 99% of us all have a pcm tune vs a hand held. So many more things can be done, having a pcm tuned.. As far as stackinh tunes, I don't think that can be done, vs diesels... Don't take this post as a argument, just trying to save you money, make more power
Old 01-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Teching In

how does a custom tune work.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically a tuner, such as wheatley, black bear, nelson. Using tuning software to get inside of the stock pcm, goes and changes many many setting, paramiters in the pcm. Much much more then the hand held can ever do..

Quick Reply: Handheld Tune