Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Efi live or hp tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
I own HPTuner's, EFI Live and Tunercat. Time not withstanding, you can create a good calibration with any of these editors (though Tunercat will need to borrow the scanner from HPTuner's or EFI Live).
Same here. It's almost a given if you do it for a living.

Of the three, I use HPTuner's daily. If you don't have 10-15K to drop on stream licensing for all of the needed streams, EFI Live is out from a business standpoint. HPTuner's single licenses work towards unlocking unlimited VIN/year licenses. Those licenses work toward vehicle groups. You can work through and unlock unlimited everything, one license at a time if you choose. With EFI live you get credit for half, and then it's time to plunk down the thousands, no matter how many singles you tune.
^^^THIS!!!! It is far easier to work towards an unlimited license, than to bite off the big nugget. This is/was a real biggy for me.

As far as the COS's go, once you buy one for your car, they give you all that are available at no charge. If you are tuning a GenIII setup, the odds are favorable that you will be real time tuning in the bag with the custom OS.
Again, this is a big one. I don't need to be able to real time tune every single table. But it's a HUGE time saver to flash in a COS with RTT, and real time dial in the fueling, both VE and MAF. I use this feature far more often to dial in a tune, than to apply it permanently. I actually remove the COS in most cars, just so it can be accessed by any tuning suite later on.

As far as support goes, I have emailed Bill many a night, late, like this one, and gotten a reply back later the same night. He works like I do....basically he works when he is awake.
As far as support, every single feature, table I've asked for, they've added. Some of them very quickly. Bill is a huge help. Can't say enough.

I have spent a good bit of time with both packages. I like the Roadrunner but it has a price tag, and it often times did not save the time that it was intended to save. I like the grouping and editor layout better in HPTuner's. I don't like having to keep expanding a tree to get down to a table. That may be nitpicking, but it weighs for me. The serial wideband connection is nice on EFI Live, but the analog input on the HPTuner's cable is more than capable of correctly collecting wideband data. The later model cars in EFI Live require a license for the ECM AND THE TCM, whereas HPTuner's will program both for the same two credits that any other car would use. EFI Live offers advanced tuners a window into definition editing past the given variables through a scripting interface. The HPTuner's scanner ID's the vehicle it's connected to automatically. It's something HPTuner's users take for granted until they try something different.
I too prefer the layout in HPT, but that may be because I use it far more often.

As stated by others before, both will get the job done. Each has it's own pros and cons. At the end of the day, HPT makes more sense to me from a business standpoint. But I believe I need all three suites to be as productive as I can be. After all there are things TC can do, that NEITHER HTP or EFIlive can do. But that's for another thread.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foff667
No idea, we've offered custom operating systems for 2003's for years and years now

1 bar SD
2 bar SD
3 bar SD
1 bar maf enhanced as well
Like I said it was years and years ago.