PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/)
-   -   Efi live or hp tuners? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/efi-live-hp-tuners-476719/)

5.3 GMC 01-30-2011 10:10 PM

Efi live or hp tuners?

I'm sure this has been brought up thousands of times. Which one to use? Well I'd like to learn how to tune my own ride. So my question is is either one of them easier to use than the other? I know efi live has a demo thing on the net and I've looked at it some but is hp setup the same? Has anyone used both programs that could help me out and tell me some main differences?

Mangled03gmc 01-30-2011 10:14 PM

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/v...8b4ab27947.gif

5.3 GMC 01-31-2011 06:43 AM

Just a toss up huh?

kbracing96 01-31-2011 11:28 AM

You want something with a useful hand held, with a screen to monitor PID's, read and clear code's, that can log, flash and read tunes, all with out a laptop, then EFILive is what you need. You want to have to use your laptop for everything tuning you do, then either will work just fine.

BlackGMC 01-31-2011 11:39 AM

Efi live hands down amd twice on sundays.

foff667 01-31-2011 11:55 AM

HPT hands down & 3 times on saturdays.

If you'd like a copy of our demo software email me at bill at hptuners.com

I think you'll find our software is less expensive, offers more options like Real time tuning at a much lower cost, offers support for more vehicles and has more tuning information and resources readily available directly for it then does efi.

But don't let me talk for the software, give the demo a try and let it speak for itself.

-Bill

1slow01Z71 01-31-2011 12:04 PM

Why dont you ask the guys on here what kind of support they get from HPT when they request access for tables that EFI has had for a long time. The transient tables come to mind, EFI seems to be much more responsive to user request. Not to mention yes its a little more expensive than HPT but it can do a lot more and doesnt require to spend a million credits to run a COS. The actual software itself isnt really any different, other than EFI tends to give you more tables and the values on the x and y axis are transposed. Everything HPT can do so can EFI and EFI has all the main controllers supported so youd be hard pressed to find something to tune that isnt supported by EFI. The support on EFIs site is great too. The only bad thing about EFI is that it isnt used by as many people but I believe in recent years that table has started to tilt in EFIs favor. Wheatley and Blackbear use EFI so they could help you tune via email with it.

fof works for HPT so dont let his biased opinion skew your decision.

BlackGMC 01-31-2011 12:11 PM

both will accomplish bascially the same thing, each has there own pros and cons... the best advice i can give is buy the software your friends, tuner, etc Nothing is worse than an EFI Live guy and HPtuner guy trying to have a conversation...

TX Tahoe Z71 01-31-2011 12:12 PM

I don't do my own tuning, I leave it to the experts, but with EFI, there is a separate table for E85 in addition to the high octane and low octane; HPT only has high and low tables, no access to the E85 table. If you plan on going E85 down the road (I highly recommend it!!!), then something to consider.

Rhino79 01-31-2011 12:26 PM

EFILive, been there done that with both, EFI has 10000 times better setup for overall useage and Custom operating systems. As far as the visuals look for the tables and graphs, EFI is like xbox360 and HPT is like nintendo 64 imo, I think efilive is layed out better and easier to use. And with EFI you dont have to email anyone to get a free download, go to efi's site, download the full software for free and try it yourself.

As for supported vehicles, HP may have support for different brands, but on the occasions that I was working with a controller efi didn't have a .cal for, I emailed the file out of the controller to ross and he hooked me up with a .cal to get me going. Great support and product.