Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Efi live or hp tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
nice... Is there something that i posted that is inaccurate or wrong? Except for my first post in this thread, similar to your first post, i have tried to post unbiased opinions of both highlighting some of the pros and cons of both...
Old 01-31-2011, 10:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew better than to post in here, its always a pissing match. They are both good, I prefer EFI, some prefer HPT, either way, they are both good. Thanks for the download Foff, i checked out a couple of bins with HPT and EFI. It would be cool to do fords and dodges, is there a different interface for each brand or will the pro interface work with all?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
nice... Is there something that i posted that is inaccurate or wrong? Except for my first post in this thread, similar to your first post, i have tried to post unbiased opinions of both highlighting some of the pros and cons of both...
lol my first post mocked yours, yours wasn't similar to mine. Everyone wants to jump in threads like this and proclaim theirs is the best theirs is the best. Ask tunercat guys they think theres is the best its all in the eyes of the beholder.

While I would like to believe ours is the best and that we work harder to develop our product is purely opinion, the 2am return emails, the posts at midnight defending our product only goes as far as the next customer, the what have you done for me lately.

I try to meet and exceed our customers expectations of what a company should offer, if efi does this great, stick with them but don't think for a minute we won't work just as hard or harder then they will to make a product that makes our customers happy with their purchase.

And to those asking about flashing without a laptop don't think we aren't already working on the next generation hardware, fortunately for us unlike efilive we made our interfaces relately future proof ie you don't need to purchase a separate interface to tune dodge's like efi does so we really haven't had much of a need to push for a next generation interface. Also we like keeping our prices reachable for our customers, when you are talking $800 or 900 for just a piece of hardware no matter how many doohickies you pack into it thats alot of dough and in most cases, at those prices at least, that would likely be one of the top two or three highest costing mods on your vehicle. Our goal since day one was to make an AFFORDABLE tuning solution with a GUI that makes it as easy as possible to start tuning. As it is tuning isn't the easiest thing to master so starting off with an easy to navigate GUI is nice to have.

Not sure how to end this post other then to eaches own, I've posted the demo software in the thread, check out both, I'm confident in our software

-Bill
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Great customer service, 2 years to fix the efans...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8858
Old 01-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only anecdote Ill add to this further is my experience with EFI support has been awesome. Im a computer idiot and sometimes lack reading comprehension, I was updating the firmware in my V2 and skipped a step and bricked my V2 to where I couldnt do anything with it. EFI support shot me a how-to, to try and recover it without having to send the cable in for service. I still had a few questions and via pm Blacky on EFI answered my questions quickly and quided me through the process fairly quickly. Now Ive got a functioning V2 again with all the goodies and can finally finish my efan swap
Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 AM
FormerVendor

I own HPTuner's, EFI Live and Tunercat. Time not withstanding, you can create a good calibration with any of these editors (though Tunercat will need to borrow the scanner from HPTuner's or EFI Live).

Of the three, I use HPTuner's daily. If you don't have 10-15K to drop on stream licensing for all of the needed streams, EFI Live is out from a business standpoint. HPTuner's single licenses work towards unlocking unlimited VIN/year licenses. Those licenses work toward vehicle groups. You can work through and unlock unlimited everything, one license at a time if you choose. With EFI live you get credit for half, and then it's time to plunk down the thousands, no matter how many singles you tune.

As far as the COS's go, once you buy one for your car, they give you all that are available at no charge. If you are tuning a GenIII setup, the odds are favorable that you will be real time tuning in the bag with the custom OS.

As far as support goes, I have emailed Bill many a night, late, like this one, and gotten a reply back later the same night. He works like I do....basically he works when he is awake.

I have spent a good bit of time with both packages. I like the Roadrunner but it has a price tag, and it often times did not save the time that it was intended to save. I like the grouping and editor layout better in HPTuner's. I don't like having to keep expanding a tree to get down to a table. That may be nitpicking, but it weighs for me. The serial wideband connection is nice on EFI Live, but the analog input on the HPTuner's cable is more than capable of correctly collecting wideband data. The later model cars in EFI Live require a license for the ECM AND THE TCM, whereas HPTuner's will program both for the same two credits that any other car would use. EFI Live offers advanced tuners a window into definition editing past the given variables through a scripting interface. The HPTuner's scanner ID's the vehicle it's connected to automatically. It's something HPTuner's users take for granted until they try something different.

Ok it's 2:30 AM here and I have more email to do. Have a good evening guys.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:45 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by foff667
We offer custom operating systems as well, actually offered them well before EFI did. With your initial purchase you could do 2 vehicles both setup with custom operating systems without spending a dime over the initial cost of $649 whereas EFI would be $799 for the same. Seems like $649 is less expensive then $799 or is your math somehow different?

-Bill
Actually, I switched to EFI from HPT because EFI offered custom 2 bar OSes and HPT did not. I was specifically told there was no time frame for completion and that in the mean time I should just make my 105 kpa column super rich.

But, that is ancient history.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:04 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Silverado or Sierra. Pick one. They do the same damn thing. Different option packages.

Everyone who own or sells a particular brand is going to support that brand. I own one of them. I'm sure the other software works just the same. At the end of the day decide what YOU will be doing with the software and see which one fits you best.

[/pissing match]
Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rhino79
I knew better than to post in here, its always a pissing match. They are both good, I prefer EFI, some prefer HPT, either way, they are both good. Thanks for the download Foff, i checked out a couple of bins with HPT and EFI. It would be cool to do fords and dodges, is there a different interface for each brand or will the pro interface work with all?
Pro or std interfaces work with all, no additional hardware to purchase & the software is free as well, just a matter of purchasing the ford credits/dodge credits to tune them.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Actually, I switched to EFI from HPT because EFI offered custom 2 bar OSes and HPT did not. I was specifically told there was no time frame for completion and that in the mean time I should just make my 105 kpa column super rich.

But, that is ancient history.
No idea, we've offered custom operating systems for 2003's for years and years now

1 bar SD
2 bar SD
3 bar SD
1 bar maf enhanced as well
Attached Thumbnails Efi live or hp tuners?-2003customoss.jpg  

Quick Reply: Efi live or hp tuners?