Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

dyno tune vs blackbear

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno tune vs blackbear

wich one do yall think is better? it seems like a dyno tune would be better just because every truck seems to be slightly different somehow even if its the same combo. but it seems like theres not really much time to tune there. if i read right black bear does a data log tune? is that the right thing to call it? seems like that would be a good solid tune but does it matter that its a mail order? most mail order things aint to good. any of yall trade a dyno tune for a black bear, or maybe a black bear for a dyno tune? im going back and forth.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would say a data log tune is the way to go much more tuned to your driving habits, and how you drive and what the engine is doing, more accurate, mail orders without any logging would have to come from years of tuning experience like charlie wheatley or nelson performance, many tunes under these guys belts, definitely tuners of choice by many..but the leading edge is on the street, data logging the data of the truck..
Old 04-15-2011, 11:49 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

Blackbear has been doing thousands of tunes, too, so a mail-order from him is good, too. i have one from him for a v6 -> v8 swap & he did good in one shot. looking back, i wish i'd done the datalog the first time because now that i added headers (almost 2 years later), i'm having a data log tune done. just waiting on the finished computer to get here in the mail.

i'd rather have that than a dyno tune for my DD because it's tuned for the way i drive all the time - not just WOT pulls.

nelson & wheatley also do good tunes
Old 04-16-2011, 06:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dyno tune and or a street tune will yield much better results than mail orders, I have had first hand experience seeing many of the top mail order tuners files. Thing is, without a wideband and datalogging, you don't know where it's at, its all a guess with mail orders. Some are closer than others, but none will give you what you would get with a live tune. Most mail orders, disable the cat overtemp, take some tq mgt out and bump the timing a lil, nothing special.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Where's the Beef?

Blackbear sends you a data cable so you can Data log which is esentially the same as a dyno with the exception that a dyno allows you to see changes in performance.
I'd go Blackbear unless you know for a fact that the Dyno tuner is very familiar with an LSX platform and knows what they like and don't like.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:47 AM
9 Second Club

The autocal is a nice feature, for an additional cost. Downside is you have downtime waiting for Justin to read the logs, make changes and send you another file. If you have a good tuner in your area, 2-3 hrs on a street tune is well worth it.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

im just north of jacksonville florida. you would think it would be easier to find a tuner with a big ol city down there. when i had my camaro tuned i had to take it to a shop that specialized with fords. i think the auto cal unit would be the way to go for me because i have 3 other vehicles that are going to need a tune soon. call me shallow but i really wanna see some numbers too. maybe after i get it tuned ill put it on a dyno just to see what that little 4.3 puts down.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:04 AM
9 Second Club

The auto cal is great, just the down time of waiting and sending back and forth is the biggest problem. But if you dont have a good tuner local, go with autocal.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Teching In

A live tune with a wideband would be your best option. BlackBear seems to only tune based off narrowband stock O2s for autocal and his live tunes as well.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:42 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by GM-only
im just north of jacksonville florida. you would think it would be easier to find a tuner with a big ol city down there. when i had my camaro tuned i had to take it to a shop that specialized with fords. i think the auto cal unit would be the way to go for me because i have 3 other vehicles that are going to need a tune soon. call me shallow but i really wanna see some numbers too. maybe after i get it tuned ill put it on a dyno just to see what that little 4.3 puts down.
well, if you end up wanting a dyno tune done (i ain't sure if he does street tunes, too... ask him & find out), Doc @ EFI Alchemy knows his stuff. He's done 2 of my friends' blown camaros as well as any number of really freakin fast LSx vehicles.

his shop's in Green Cove Springs
i almost was gonna have him install/tune the blower on my vette, but i'm in pensacola & found a local shop that's pretty good

Last edited by trever1t; 04-19-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: non-sponsor contact info deleted!

Quick Reply: dyno tune vs blackbear