Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

dyno tune vs blackbear

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its funny that you recommended doc. i did alittle more lookin around and stumbled across their web site. been talkin to him all day about getting it tuned. and now here you are tellin me about him. im gonna try to head down there tommorrow if hes got an open spot. btw im headed out to pensecola in about a month our two.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problem I see with mail order data logging or autocal is that the tune is only as good as the data that is logged. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out how to drive to get good data...theres more to it than steady highway cruise and a couple of WOT blasts.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

if it wasnt for yall id still be goin back and forth 2 weeks from now. i am scheduled for some tuning with doc tommorrow @ 430. im gonna post results in the midsize section if any one is interested. thanks again!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:13 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

good deal!

Originally Posted by RSTinOKC
The only problem I see with mail order data logging or autocal is that the tune is only as good as the data that is logged. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out how to drive to get good data...theres more to it than steady highway cruise and a couple of WOT blasts.
care to elaborate? once i get my new PCM from Justin, i'm gonna have to do another log to make sure it's good
Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When doing a data log file, most scan logging tools only log upto 10 frames per second. In order to get an adequate number of cells reporting enough information for the tuner to make good decisions you should have a minimum of 20 minutes of log time. Regarding the differences between a dyno tune and a scan log tune, and this is an overly generaliztion, the log tune will get you better intermediate driving information and the dyno tune will give you better upper rpm information. There are load bearing dyno's and non-loadbearing. The load bearing dyno will give you adequate street driving info and wot info for the tuner. Bottom line, your tune will be as good as the tuner is experienced. BTW, AWD trucks are difficult to dyno tune because of the few 4 wheel dyno's
Old 04-18-2011, 10:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And when you are experienced with certiain engine platforms, and combos, you know what kind of wot timing they like within a few degrees. NA engines like between, 12.5 and 13.2 afr for the most part, boost and spray like mid to upper 11's, and if your timing and afrs are done right onthe street, you will be within a few ponies of the dyno anyways. A load bearing dyno would be idea for wot, but I have always and still say that you need to drive on the street in an uncontrolled environment for the best driveability. WOT is cake to tune, its the startup and dd that requires some experience and skill. It requires a lot of start/stop, up hill/downhill, quick stops, quick revs, etc to fill all the areas on the maps to aquire the needed data to make it accurate. Also your tune is only going to spot on if your setup is, i.e. no vaccum leaks, exhaust leaks, rattling exhaust causing kr, clean maf, good gas. You gotta have all your ducks in a row for a good finished product, and a lot of tuners get dumped on for **** thats not their fault, I think its the owners responsibility to have his **** together before tuning, the tuning is the final step to the equation.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...19#post4684519
theres the results for now anyway
Old 05-04-2011, 03:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GM-only
im just north of jacksonville florida. you would think it would be easier to find a tuner with a big ol city down there. when i had my camaro tuned i had to take it to a shop that specialized with fords. i think the auto cal unit would be the way to go for me because i have 3 other vehicles that are going to need a tune soon. call me shallow but i really wanna see some numbers too. maybe after i get it tuned ill put it on a dyno just to see what that little 4.3 puts down.
take it to efi alchemy. ive heard good things about them. look them up online.

but besides that i have blackbear and im happy with it. im done bolt ons, then a 4l80e swap. im doing a caam now and ill use a basemap from him till i bring it to get dyno tuned.

but blackbear and wheatley FTW
Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 PM

Cool Black bear tune

Do not get the blackbear tune unless it is done in person their customer service is bullshit.. Its much better to be in person wether its dyno tune or scan cable because if you dont like somthing it can be fixed on the spot...i just bought a mail order tune, performance wise i can see a big difference i beat a few different trucks on the road but my idle is to high and i been waiting for 3 weeks to see if i can get it adjusted and i get no reply...this forum pursuaded me to go with black bear im here to change that.. a dyno tune is more worth it..what blackbear did was mostly change shift points and shift firmness i seen just a little bit more throttle response not as much as i expected.
GO With the dyno tune or in person tune
Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Redchevy1540
Do not get the blackbear tune unless it is done in person their customer service is bullshit.. Its much better to be in person wether its dyno tune or scan cable because if you dont like somthing it can be fixed on the spot...i just bought a mail order tune, performance wise i can see a big difference i beat a few different trucks on the road but my idle is to high and i been waiting for 3 weeks to see if i can get it adjusted and i get no reply...this forum pursuaded me to go with black bear im here to change that.. a dyno tune is more worth it..what blackbear did was mostly change shift points and shift firmness i seen just a little bit more throttle response not as much as i expected.
GO With the dyno tune or in person tune
Way to bring up a thread from the dead just to bash...

I have not had any problems with Blackbear. Justin has answered all my questions in a couple hours or a day at most and normally 2-3 days on a re-tune. If it truly had been 3 weeks, why did you not follow up with a question with a different subject line?

Quick Reply: dyno tune vs blackbear