Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

dyno tune vs blackbear

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Redchevy1540
Do not get the blackbear tune unless it is done in person their customer service is bullshit.. Its much better to be in person wether its dyno tune or scan cable because if you dont like somthing it can be fixed on the spot...i just bought a mail order tune, performance wise i can see a big difference i beat a few different trucks on the road but my idle is to high and i been waiting for 3 weeks to see if i can get it adjusted and i get no reply...this forum pursuaded me to go with black bear im here to change that.. a dyno tune is more worth it..what blackbear did was mostly change shift points and shift firmness i seen just a little bit more throttle response not as much as i expected.
GO With the dyno tune or in person tune
If your Un-happy then take that up with them and start your own thread about your issue's. We have a Sponsor feedback section for that. Sponsor Feedback - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums
You obviously don't know everything he changed.

When you send an Email to Justin, only send 1 and wait for a reply. This can sometimes take a few days with any tuner. Multiple Emails will put you last on the Que as if you just Emailed him.

I have personally dealt with him and I own tuning software. There are alot of little changes that you can't feel or see with out using software. All mail order tunes are just that. There still usually better then a caned hand held tuner device. A live in person tune is always better as the tuner can tailor it to your driving habits and personal preferences.

Please start a new discusion
Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

ohh... this reminds me i need to get a new high-altitude tune now that i moved to SD. but i reckon i'll wait til spring/summer when there's better gas. that & i just got bigger tires a couple months ago.

have any of y'all personally seen any power or mileage differences between his 87 & 91 tunes on a intake/headers 5.3? with my 91 tune, i'm averaging about 17mpg with my 8ply 33s on the interstate & put down 275h/300t with my old 265/75 hwy tires. if he can pull the same performance on 87, i might as well save 25-30¢ a gal - especially now that my drive to work is 3x longer
Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just bought a mail order tune, performance wise i can see a big difference i beat a few different trucks on the road

SO DID YOU FEEL A DIFF OR NOT??? You contradicted yourself here

what blackbear did was mostly change shift points and shift firmness i seen just a little bit more throttle response not as much as i expected

i been waiting for 3 weeks to see if i can get it adjusted and i get no reply...this forum pursuaded me to go with black bear im here to change that..

So you signed up this month BUT this forum made up your mind on Blackbear and you've been waiting for 3 weeks already? Hmmm,
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 AM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by cdub81
So you signed up this month BUT this forum made up your mind on Blackbear and you've been waiting for 3 weeks already? Hmmm,
just because he recently signed up don't mean he ain't been reading. the first forum i joined, i lurked for 2 years before creating an account
Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 AM

Default I Take back my comment

Originally Posted by jschrock
Way to bring up a thread from the dead just to bash...

I have not had any problems with Blackbear. Justin has answered all my questions in a couple hours or a day at most and normally 2-3 days on a re-tune. If it truly had been 3 weeks, why did you not follow up with a question with a different subject line?
I got reply from them yesterday..like they watch this forums influence on their customers lol..it was 3 weeks but when i sent messages it was on the weekend because im always working..ill be back to let people know how the adjustment goes because this forum convinced me to go with blackbear (if someone decides to go with black bear i'd say drive as hard and agressive as you can because the more he can see the better the tune goes i passed a few cars punched out from 50-95mph while datta logging and thats where i see the biggest difference...not so much on low end i guess ill run another scan before i send my computer back and see if that can be adjusted too
Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 AM
Staging Lane

I stroke my 5.3 o 6.3 pput in a 224/228 cam from tsp and justin tuned my truck i think it took him 4 tries but im pretty happy with the resultsit feelsstron driveability is great no idle issues i think it idlesat 800 rpm the longest he took to answer me was a week he said he overlooked it no biggy i would recommend him and planning to use him to tune my camaro when im ready
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Teching In

So, since this thread was brought up from the past, i may as well piggyback my question into it. I have a 2007 Tahoe that is bone stock. I have been reading different tuning options on multiple forums. This is my dilemma. I want to keep my stock ECM. I have a warranty with this truck and don't want anything to jeopardize that. I think I have narrowed it down to a Nelson tune, or Black Bear Autocal. What's odd to me is that they both seem to be the same price, so for the money, I'm thinking Black Bear is a better deal. I would get a handheld for tuning that could store up to 5 tunes I think, and can return my truck to stock at any time.

For Nelson, I would pay for a pre-tuned ECM mailed to me and swap out the component itself with a tuned unit. Nelson certainly seems easier, but for $550 i wouldn't even get the ability to clear codes etc or even look at data.

So I ask you all, what would you do? I'm not biased at all and will certainly entertain other options as well. This is my DD and while I want some performance out of it, I realize it's not going to be a rocket. I'm also not going to be doing exhaust or headers on this thing. Just a CAI and tune, period. Thanks all.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Do not get the blackbear tune unless it is done in person their customer service is bullshit.. Its much better to be in person wether its dyno tune or scan cable because if you dont like somthing it can be fixed on the spot...i just bought a mail order tune, performance wise i can see a big difference i beat a few different trucks on the road but my idle is to high and i been waiting for 3 weeks to see if i can get it adjusted and i get no reply...this forum pursuaded me to go with black bear im here to change that.. a dyno tune is more worth it..what blackbear did was mostly change shift points and shift firmness i seen just a little bit more throttle response not as much as i expected.
GO With the dyno tune or in person tune
not to say that this didn't happen, or that your tune wasn't the best, but i think this is the first negative review of blackbear. i have an autocal tune, which i noticed immediately. the one time i reverted back to stock for a dealer visit, i was having anxiety attacks to get it back to stock asap!!! lol! i relogged after getting an m.i.t., and a new file was sent back very quickly. any other questions also, were answered back within a day or two. the tune was sick and considering the method, i believe they respond as quickly as you would hope!! basically, they were everything positive i had researched!!! cheers!