Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Buy HPT or get it tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy HPT or get it tuned?

I've got the lq4 swap going into the 72 and tuning is the next question. It basically boils down to having Lyndon (Westers Garage, he's under an hour away) or buy HP Tuners and attempt it myself. Price diffence is minimal, and with Lyndon I get a dyno tune, and the reassurance that its done by someone who knows what their doing, and a lifetime of free retunes. I've always wanted to try tackling it myself, but im trying do decide what would be the best route to go. What would you guys do?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

I have done both. In the end I tune it myself. My first time to tune was on my turbo truck. I read a lot and tune very concervetive. I love the fact I can data log my runs or even driving around town go inside lay on the couch and mess with the log or tune.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Formerly PurplePearl (2014-04-06)

In for others thoughts.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Its really a tossup. If Lyndon wasn't so close id deffs buy the software and attempt it myself. having one of th best tuners in the country so close makes for a hard decision! Haha
Old 08-15-2014, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Almost a year later, but I've got HPT on the way. Guess that settles it!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good man
Old 08-16-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got my tune done but ive thought about buyin hpt myself. I just like the thought being able to tune myself. It would be good if I knew more people that needed tune work done. To help pay for the cost
Old 08-16-2014, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jason Z69
I got my tune done but ive thought about buyin hpt myself. I just like the thought being able to tune myself. It would be good if I knew more people that needed tune work done. To help pay for the cost
its like the cost of two mail order tunes man...You don't have to buy the Shop edition

That gives you the ability to tune 4 GM vehicles

Cost me like 600 bucks shipped to my door in Canada...and that was with UPS bum raping me for their fees.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jordan927
its like the cost of two mail order tunes man...You don't have to buy the Shop edition

That gives you the ability to tune 4 GM vehicles

Cost me like 600 bucks shipped to my door in Canada...and that was with UPS bum raping me for their fees.
Did you go with the pro version then as well? SDParts had a special on for 840 which included the pro version and NGK AFX wideband, so i jumped on that. Shipping is nice because we're right on the Montana border so I send my stuff down there. Got a couple trucks that could use tuning, so it definitely justified itself.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

It woulda been over 700 if he bought the pro new with the bum rape cananananda fee's.

Spring for the pro if you can, but 90% of the stuff can still be done with the standard. Logging wideband and logging without a laptop are nice features of the pro. I have the standard and I just log through the EGR, couple wires to run and it works.

Quick Reply: Buy HPT or get it tuned?