Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

4L80E without tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4L80E without tuning?

Quick questions... is it possible to use a 4L80E with a totally stock 4L60E PCM? The reason I ask is that I am hesitant to make any mods to my PCM for smogging purposes. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if you do the wiring mod to run a 60E tune, you will want to modify the shift tables, etc. and disable some DTCs that are going to pop up.
TunedByFrost.com - Products

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...t-swap-486918/
Old 11-03-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

The idea is that I don't want to modify anything in the tune.

So doing the 80E swap with a 60E PCM tune will throw codes?
Old 11-03-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will have no problem passing smog if you modify your transmission tables.

I've passed plenty of smog checks with modified tunes. I'm even running a completely different PCM than what came originally on my truck and I still did not have a problem.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Whippled2dr
You will have no problem passing smog if you modify your transmission tables.

I've passed plenty of smog checks with modified tunes. I'm even running a completely different PCM than what came originally on my truck and I still did not have a problem.
In 2013 CA is changing the smogging procedure. For 2000 and newer cars there will be no sniffer, but the word is that the functional test (where they scan your PCM) will be more strict, and will be able to tell if the PCM has been altered via checksums (I think that's what they are called). No one knows for sure what's going to happen. I'm trying to plan for the worst case scenario.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That is just crazy.

The 4l80e will drive with a stock 4l60e tune enough to drive into a diagnostic bay. It won't be in the right gear though if I recall and it will make some bad noises.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
That is just crazy.

The 4l80e will drive with a stock 4l60e tune enough to drive into a diagnostic bay. It won't be in the right gear though if I recall and it will make some bad noises.
So it will drive, just not very well? What kind of noises, as in things are breaking noises?

Will it throw codes?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
So it will drive, just not very well? What kind of noises, as in things are breaking noises?

Will it throw codes?
This is an answer to my same question

Without the segment swap the truck should be shifting backwards ( with the forward gears ) so u might need to manually select 3rd with OD off and LIGHTLY push the throttle( if u push it hard it will keep it in low gear, but it should move around in reverse no problem =)
Old 11-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
In 2013 CA is changing the smogging procedure. For 2000 and newer cars there will be no sniffer, but the word is that the functional test (where they scan your PCM) will be more strict, and will be able to tell if the PCM has been altered via checksums (I think that's what they are called). No one knows for sure what's going to happen. I'm trying to plan for the worst case scenario.
It's all Bull ****... They have been saying there going to revamp the program for years. They can't even get the CAN cars to read and work correctly with the current software. Some car likes fords from 2003 up can't even be hooked up through the OBD2 port because the Smog machine can't comunicate on the CAN bus with the current software. Ever hook up a scan tool to a newer VW with an aftermarket radio??? It will Fry what ever you plug into the OBD port. The Vehicle owner has to put a factory radio in just to get a smog test.

Look at the hand held tuners. There technically legal per the magnusonmoss act. Magnuson . The smog program can't change that. There is no way for them to check every car and see whats been modded in the calibration. Some vehicles have 3 or 4 different calibrations available from the factory to correct for various conditions.

I disabled the EGR and AIR Injection in the tune and that's not even detectable by today's test standards. The parts are still in place for the Visual part of the inspection and they can be activated with a scan tool with Bidirectional controls. For a smog test, The vehicle has to be hot to be tested correctly. The Air injection only works on start up and the test never goes to a high enough speed to enable the EGR. Even so, My Truck actually ran cleaner then prior years after it was tuned.

Most likely they will do away with Test only stations and possibly do away with the dyno portion of the test since it's not really accurate. They rumored doing away with sniffer but I don't see how. That's how they catch most gross polluters or vehicles with gutted cats. If any thing, they will most likely be reading VIN numbers from the ECU to verify what the Smog tech entered into the computer is valid to the vehicle being smoged. The problem is that with the right equipment and software you can change that on any vehicle.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
It's all Bull ****... They have been saying there going to revamp the program for years. They can't even get the CAN cars to read and work correctly with the current software. Some car likes fords from 2003 up can't even be hooked up through the OBD2 port because the Smog machine can't comunicate on the CAN bus with the current software. Ever hook up a scan tool to a newer VW with an aftermarket radio??? It will Fry what ever you plug into the OBD port. The Vehicle owner has to put a factory radio in just to get a smog test.

Look at the hand held tuners. There technically legal per the magnusonmoss act. Magnuson . The smog program can't change that. There is no way for them to check every car and see whats been modded in the calibration. Some vehicles have 3 or 4 different calibrations available from the factory to correct for various conditions.

I disabled the EGR and AIR Injection in the tune and that's not even detectable by today's test standards. The parts are still in place for the Visual part of the inspection and they can be activated with a scan tool with Bidirectional controls. For a smog test, The vehicle has to be hot to be tested correctly. The Air injection only works on start up and the test never goes to a high enough speed to enable the EGR. Even so, My Truck actually ran cleaner then prior years after it was tuned.

Most likely they will do away with Test only stations and possibly do away with the dyno portion of the test since it's not really accurate. They rumored doing away with sniffer but I don't see how. That's how they catch most gross polluters or vehicles with gutted cats. If any thing, they will most likely be reading VIN numbers from the ECU to verify what the Smog tech entered into the computer is valid to the vehicle being smoged. The problem is that with the right equipment and software you can change that on any vehicle.
Good information. I spoke with a person from a "forced induction kit company" on how they get away with their CARB legal tuning. They said they send you tunes via a handheld device, and once its all good they send you a CARB sticker or number or something indicating that the tune is legal. They then said the tune could be changed but keeping the CARB sticker and the smog techs would never know. I was surprised that they even mentioned this. Anyways, the more I read up on this the more I agree with you that a tuned PCM will still be able to pass smog. Like I said, I'm just planning for the worst case scenario.

Quick Reply: 4L80E without tuning?