THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!
View Poll Results: how much wrenching experience do you have (multiple choice poll)
None- I surf the internet and parrot everything I read, I did change my oil once
0.40%
Some-I love modding, that's why I pay the professionals, although I handle easier jobs myself
4.05%
25/75-I do about 25% of my own work, and pay professionals to do the rest
6.48%
50/50-I do about half of my own work and I'm learning all the time
10.93%
50/50(+)-I do half of my own work, have the ability to do more, but tools are expensive
5.67%
75/25- I do most of my own work, and have a fairly decent toolset
14.57%
80/20-I do most of my own work, I research like crazy, I have an awesome toolset
13.77%
90/10-I do everything I can myself, I research like crazy, lots of tools
34.01%
95/5-I do everything I can myself, don't surf the internet often, I am always in my shop/garage
5.26%
100- I have the ability and tools to do everything myself from A-Z and then some
10.93%
110-I have the ability and tools to do everything myself from A-Z and I help out all my bro's too!
0.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

What is your actual wrenching/performance modding experience level?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hardest job I have done was replace a cam oil seal on an old Dodge Omni beater I had used to get me around when I first moved to Orlando after I got out of the Marine Corps. The seal costs like 3 bucks at Discount Auto, which involved pulling the cam, which meant pulling the valve cover, timing belt, AC compresser, alternator, all drive belts, and a motor mount to replace the timing belt while I was at it from what I can remember. It was an over-head cam, so it sat on top of everything, all I had to do was mark the timing marks to be sure the cam and crank where lined up. With Chiliton as my advisor, I completed this project in a mere 3 days When it came time to start-er up, I closed my eyes and turned the key. She started right up with out the usual fountain of oil leaking down the side of the block and actually ran for 6 months after that before it overheated and blew up. I feel that if I had a beater as a back up and more than just my 100.00 kmart toolset by my side, I wouldnt mind trying something like a camswap, or heads. I defanately do not feel confident enough to spend thousands on forged parts and machine work, to try and put it all together and have it blow up because I screwed somthing up. That is what is so fun about doing your own mods rather than buying something quick from the factory, you learn something new everyday and have something original. I would like to thank all of the people from LS1tech and Truckperformance for making this posible for me and others.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I only do some of my own work b/c it's cheaper and I don't trust anyone else doing it without a new scratch or door ding. I don't mind fixing something that has broken, but not to just have a project going on. Of course......I did swap a 6.0 with a perfectly fine 5.3, but that's different. I just really hate not being able to drive my truck. In my world, I would have a ~11.50 street truck that would Look, drive, and ride like a dream and never break a tranny, rearend, or blow a motor. Just dreaming
Old 12-30-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

80/20 I do all my own work pretty much but sometimes i have buddys with good knowledge help.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:59 PM
11 Second Truck Club

50/50 allways learning and buying tools.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

90/10. I have done everything to my truck by myself. Performance, routine, and ocassional bad parts (stereo blew out, bad door check, etc). I can weld, braze, solder, fabricate etc. I've opened up my tranny and pulled it five times. If I don't know how to do something, I read how to do it. If I can't do something, it's not because of lack of knowledge or will. It's time constraints, lack of tools, or lack of work area...
Old 12-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked 75/25. I do as much as i can. I can weld, minor fab, engine-exc, and when i can't i get my pops on it. I also I have quit a few of super smart people when it comes to the electronics and such. I am allways reading about new things and always ready to learn.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Im probably more 25/75 however I have a friend help me. I wont have a shop do anything as Ive lost all faith in them. I'll pay the money to have an engine built or a transmission, but I'll have a friend help me put it in. No shops if possible. I usually just buy tools as I need them.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12sec.5.3
I only do some of my own work b/c it's cheaper and I don't trust anyone else doing it without a new scratch or door ding. I don't mind fixing something that has broken, but not to just have a project going on. Of course......I did swap a 6.0 with a perfectly fine 5.3, but that's different. I just really hate not being able to drive my truck. In my world, I would have a ~11.50 street truck that would Look, drive, and ride like a dream and never break a tranny, rearend, or blow a motor. Just dreaming

u r so full of ****.

i would say 100 but i leave the paint and body work to my buddy i do all his engine work and he does my paint and body,i work at a trans. shop right now and i do my and everyone else rear ends around,and i have builded to many motors.
i wish i had a dollarfor every bolt i torque down.i would be retired.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Launching!

I don't do paint & body or do tranny work. When I pay it's because I don't have time and can make more money with my time. Unfortunately, I often end-up redoing the work because I find stripped or missing bolts and broken or wrong parts. Face it, no one does as good a job if it's not their own. I take forever when I work because I often modify the parts to work better although not always successfully.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I voted 95/5 & 100 since I don't bore blocks, balance, align front ends or bend exhaust pipe. I don't do these things since it isn't worth buying the equipment. If someone ask me if I can do something I basically always say "yes". If they then ask me if I have done it I sometimes say no. You can do whatever you put your mind to and have the tools to do. You just have to dive in and figure it out, maybe ask a question or two when need be from some good folks like on performancetrucks.net!
The only thing I don't care to do is rebuild an automatic tranny. I hate driving them and even hate working on them even more
I like to drive mine, not ride in them

Quick Reply: What is your actual wrenching/performance modding experience level?