THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Tool chest comparo; Snap On, Mac, Craftsman, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005 Silverado
Quick story. My dad sold a guy a tool in 1993, he had it for 4 years prior, the guy, (i know work with) traded it in march for a bigger box, he got 5700 for it. I guess the point. Tool box's hold their value. I paid (am paying i guess) 7200 for my snap on box. I asked what i could get for it now (its 2 years old) I can get 7200 for it. Got to love the no depreciation. As far as tools, they seem to be going south in value. S K seems to be the best right now IMO....rant over.

Dustin

Sorry but if you go on your tool guys truck and he has a used box he is selling it will not cost the same as a brand new one. However it is true that a good quality (big name) and well taken care of tool box holds its value well.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:21 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If money is no object, get a SnapOn box, they are hands down the best, but they are way overpriced compared to the other manufacturers. You also have to figure, how often will you be using it? If you're a career wrench turner and will be using the box all day long, every day, you want the best. If you're a weekend wrench, then a nice Craftsman unit will do. I'd definitely spend the extra coin for the ball bearing drawers though, no matter which box you choose, it's a night and day difference in the way the drawers move in and out.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by budhayes3
If money is no object, get a SnapOn box, they are hands down the best, but they are way overpriced compared to the other manufacturers. You also have to figure, how often will you be using it? If you're a career wrench turner and will be using the box all day long, every day, you want the best. If you're a weekend wrench, then a nice Craftsman unit will do. I'd definitely spend the extra coin for the ball bearing drawers though, no matter which box you choose, it's a night and day difference in the way the drawers move in and out.
When my buddy was in his auto program at school, he could get 60% off of snap on stuff, like 53% off of matco stuff.. Snap on def has the highest mark up in the tool world. They still were making tons off of them, even at them discounts...... Can't argue that they are def top notch tools, just out in orbit prices...

John
Old 03-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Teching In

I have some Snap-On boxes that I have used over 30 years & have been moved, rolled, overloaded etc with no problems.. I have 2 Craftsman boxes in garage that are over 20 years old but they sit still mostly are still like new... I have a large John Deere cabinet tool box that is very old but it sits still mostly also.. I have had Mac etc... If you will leave boxes parked in one spot & go to it for tools then the Craftsman will do well.. but if you will roll them alot out to driveway or use professionally then you are better off with the Snap-On...
Old 03-22-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Junkie

this is the one i picked up recently

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=388158

was very impressed not only at the price but how dureable it is!!! i'd check it out before spending the dollars for a well known brand name, and i own a snap on also
Old 03-22-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

I got a Snap-on box, i love it..
Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

I dont make a living with my tools so my Craftsman box has been fine for me for the last 8 years but im in and out of it most weekends. If your box is part of your living I would spring for a Snap On box.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I held off until we're done moving to pick one up since the truck is down. Anyway, tonight will be the first night in the new house So I'm going to go shopping for a nice chest. I should probably make a real tool bench too, I've been using a sawhorse and plywood tool bench for the last 4 years
Old 03-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive got a snap-on and a Craftsman box that have all my home-tools in it... They both work great and IMO, if its just going to be for stuff around the house, and for the truck, get a nicer Crafstman box and go with it... you wont be making a living out of it so theres no need for an super-expensive box really...

Ive also got a 6ft "Jobox" Contractor site box that has all my tool that I take from job to job, I gave about 800 for it but it holds all my junk so far... Ive got to carry all my pipefitting tools, wrenches from 7/8-2 3/8, sevral pipe wrenches from 10in-36in, welding stuff, climbing harnesses, hard hats, sevral grinders/cutters, port-a-bands, grinding disks, cutoff wheels, blades, you name it... everything I need. I cant rely on a tool-room on a jobsite to have things I need... so I carry it from job to job myself... Its quite a sight seeing a lowered S10 carry 1000+lbs of tools hahaha I think helper bags are in order.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

I traded a Matco box that i paid 1900 for on a Snap on and got 4000 trade in. My Rep told me he will give me the price i paid for my new box in on trade as long as its in good shape. Box's are the best tooling investment you can make. Keep in touch with your Rep about a good used box wether it is Snap on or Matco. Snap On's are the hardest to get into if your place gets robbed. Theifs don't run away with a good size tool box or ones that are hard to open. A place a buddy of mine worked at got robbed and they broke into every box except the Snap On boxes.