THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Tool chest comparo; Snap On, Mac, Craftsman, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tool chest comparo; Snap On, Mac, Craftsman, etc.

I need to get a big tool chest soon and figure since Sears is close by that a Craftsman would be rather convenient. Maybe a Husky from Home Depot? But if I'm dropping that kind of cash should I look elsewhere like a Snap On or MAC box? Can y'all give me some advice from your experiences?

I have a little bit of everything going in it, including every air tool known to man and a couple paint guns too. I'd like to have most of my tools centrally located and able to be locked. But I understand there's no way all my **** can fit in one chest. As long as the most regularly used and important ones can be accessed by it.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:44 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love my MATCO.......
Old 12-23-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cannot go wrong with either, both are great quality and the drawers will not sag over time. I 've had a snap on kra series for 3 years now and it still looks great and no problems with drawers. My buddy has a mac series III and the top drawer, the heaviest one, kinda sticks when trying to pull out, the Mac guy traded him but the new one did the same!! Other than that, solid tool boxes for sure.

By the way I'm a tech and I open and shut my tool drawers at least 100 times a day!!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhe2003
You cannot go wrong with either, both are great quality and the drawers will not sag over time. I 've had a snap on kra series for 3 years now and it still looks great and no problems with drawers. My buddy has a mac series III and the top drawer, the heaviest one, kinda sticks when trying to pull out, the Mac guy traded him but the new one did the same!! Other than that, solid tool boxes for sure.

By the way I'm a tech and I open and shut my tool drawers at least 100 times a day!!
Fairfax VA? I work out there almost everyday!
Old 12-23-2008, 05:04 PM
FormerVendor

Ive had no issues with my Snap-On tool box's and they ride around in a service truck all day since im a field tech, a few of the shops guys have the Husky boxes and they seem to be good box's for the price, there better built than the craftsman IMO
Old 12-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad has a big snap on box, it is great, is old alos, still nice, but are sooo much money for their products... I just picked myself up a nice craftsman ball bearing box, I have no complaints.. The are hard to beat for the money, most of my tools I get are from craftsman.. They have good prices, are finally starting to offer tools, that are small like other top shelf brands for way less money.. Also I have only broke two tools from craftsman.. **** take it back and get a new one...... If your not looking to kill your $$$ and get a good quality product, its hard to go wrong on craftsman....

John
Old 12-23-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

i got a mac and love it. my dad has a mac and a snap on. all work flawlessly but there are plenty of cheaper companies that are just as good
Old 12-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Launching!

If you don't use it everyday get in contact with the local tool guys and get them to contact you when they have a used box in your size range from either snap-on, mac, or matco and you will pay the right price and it will last you as long as you want. I got a good deal on a bluepoint (cheap snap-on) and I am content with it other than I am spilling out of the drawers. Best box is a Matco IMO. I will have one someday.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Check at Sams Club and TSC. They will have off brand roller bearing drawer all metal boxes on the cheap. They seem to hold up really well for home use. I have a friend with a cheapy from Sam's club in his garage. He loves it and only paid $250.

TSC has some big boxes on sale here for around $450 I think.

We have a craftsman, and have had pretty good success with it. However I have seen alot just fall apart. Ours spent 10 years being stored outside in the weather and it still looks excellent.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1 DREAMING
I need to get a big tool chest soon and figure since Sears is close by that a Craftsman would be rather convenient. Maybe a Husky from Home Depot? But if I'm dropping that kind of cash should I look elsewhere like a Snap On or MAC box? Can y'all give me some advice from your experiences?

I have a little bit of everything going in it, including every air tool known to man and a couple paint guns too. I'd like to have most of my tools centrally located and able to be locked. But I understand there's no way all my **** can fit in one chest. As long as the most regularly used and important ones can be accessed by it.
i have a Matco i have been trying to sell for some time, after leaving the automotive field for a living.

its red with red anodized trim and a stainless steel top. its a 3bay, i think 76 inches long. its pretty big. $8500 new. i'm asking $5500, its negotiable. its pretty immaculate for being used professionally, very little nicks and dings. it has super nice foam liners, you can slam the drawer and your wrenches wont go anywhere.

if youre interested, let me know.

Last edited by 06sierra5.3; 12-23-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Tool chest comparo; Snap On, Mac, Craftsman, etc.