THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Thinking of taking the lift off my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of taking the lift off my truck.

What's up guys. I am kinda having an inner conflict right now about what to do with my truck. A few weeks ago I sold my 2003 2500hd and got a 2013 All-star edition 4wd. 5.3L with 6-speed trans and 3.42 gears. I always loved the new body style lifted so I went and put a 7.5" lift on it with 35" mud grapplers. Now i was excited at first and I will admit I did it for looks. I don't go play in the mud and I don't go off-roading. In fact the only time I've used 4wd is during bad weather and on the boat ramps.

Here lately I have been missing my old AWD SSS. I was thinking of selling my new one and getting another one..but....I have warrenty on this truck and with the amount I paid down on it and the big rebates I got it is really to good to let go of.

So..I'm thinking of pulling down my truck to more of a "street" looking truck. Pulling the lift off going level and putting drop shackles on the rear.

I've made myself a pro's and cons list.

Keeping the truck lifted.
12mpg
tire cost $1500 to replace
ware and tare
I NEED to re-gear which would cost $2200
Would need a tune for the re-gear.
The regear would..Help with mpg highway would still suck though.

It looks Awesome!

Lowering the truck.
Replacing tires would be alot cheaper.
Would be easier on the truck.
better mpg.

Could still make it look good by lowering the rear and maybe running some silverado ss wheels or tbss wheels.

I don't do a ton of highway driving but when I do usually take the truck to keep the miles low on the camaro.

What would you guys do.

I was also thinking with lowering it I could do shorty headers, CAI, and a diablo intune so i could remove it if I had to go too the dealer. It would be quick...good mpg..and I will still have my 4wd options.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't have a lift per say, but I did have a leveling kit on my truck and 33" tires. I took it all off and put on a set of lowering shackles and new wheels and now it looks better and has a better ride, gas mileage, easier to clean, etc...

Just depends on the look you are going for. If you want to change it up then do it. You should be able to sell everything and even make money for other mods.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mdwatts11
I didn't have a lift per say, but I did have a leveling kit on my truck and 33" tires. I took it all off and put on a set of lowering shackles and new wheels and now it looks better and has a better ride, gas mileage, easier to clean, etc...

Just depends on the look you are going for. If you want to change it up then do it. You should be able to sell everything and even make money for other mods.
Do you happen to have a pic of your truck with the rear shackles on it?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Name:  DSC_0241-2_zps4748cba4.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  95.6 KB

Shackles with blocks removed. It's about 3" lower in the back and about .5" lower than the front.

Part number is the belltech 6401 available on amazon.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mdwatts11

Shackles with blocks removed. It's about 3" lower in the back and about .5" lower than the front.

Part number is the belltech 6401 available on amazon.
Sweet. Thank you sir.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went from 3/5 to +1/-1 from stock with my gmc. I miss it handling like it was on rails. But I dragged the hitch and trans crossmember all over Galveston. Going to do lift spindles and 285/70r17's soon. Maybe my tires will last more than a year now kinda hoping it won't hang the tail out and do nice burnouts for that reason.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Bit
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt u can go back to stock. When u put that much lift on, u have to cut part of the mounting brackets off where the front support brace bolts to. It will be the one under the oil pan. It will be on the same bracket that the rear bolt for the lower control arm goes in. That rear braces is needed for support for the lower a-arm. It will all bolt back up factory as nothing bolts to that brace but it is a huge support for the frontend.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Teching In

The OP's concerns is the very reason I opted for the leveling kit on my '02 Silverado instead of a full blown suspension lift with the enormous tires, etc. It cost me $250 for my leveling kit (Rough Country) and even includes what I had to pay for an alignment.

I run 285/75 tires...which aren't much more expensive than stock...and no real need for a gear swap. The older I get, the harder it would be to climb up into a lifted truck. To me, my truck sits at a perfect height for looks and function when I do wonder off the beaten path.