THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Stupid Autozone...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stupid Autozone...

So I go to AutoZone Saturday to pick up some Brakleen and relays for my fan harness (2 of em are smoked). I'm looking all throughout the electrical section and can't find ****. So I ask the guy at the counter where the relays are and he says "what kind of car"...I'm like, doesn't matter, I just need standard 30amp 5 pin relays. The guy looks at me with a glazed stare...he's like "I can't do anything without knowing what kind of a car it is"...so I tell him, it isn't for a stock application, it's for an aftermarket install, like the rows and rows of aftermarket lighting that you have here, and those funny horns, and that other stupid thing that does nothing but glow...you mean to tell me that every single person that comes in here and buys this crap hot wires them through switches? You must have a lot of repeat business for switches. The guys like, "yea, the switches do burn out a lot but that's normal"....

Strauss and Radio Shack didn't have them either...gonna have to hit a stereo shop or something I guess
Old 06-07-2010, 07:50 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's their standard response to anything.. "What kind of car"
Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMFAO! parts guys should have to have training of some sort to be able to work in a parts department. who needs relays just keep burning up switches
Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread make me think of scott... (he works at an auto parts store....)
Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

X10 on the autozone idiots, or for that matter, most people are so damn reliant on computers its sad.

All you need is driving light relays, they do have them at autozone last time i looked.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"I have an 03 Tahoe, what size are my wiper blades?"

"...what size engine? Is it a flex fuel? Is it four wheel drive?"

"Crap, just tell me what size they are!!!!"
Old 06-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They can't help it.. I went to pepboys one time and said i needed a timing cover gasket, he said just that, then what year. I said ummm 1993.. He then said no I really need to know, there are 3 diff kinds of sbc's.. I said know what I just remembered I have one.. Some people. LOL
Old 06-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

AHHH that drives me insane. Especially dealerships, where they need the last 8 of the VIN to be anything remotely close to useful.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

yeah that dealership last 8 **** drives me insane. Its cause they are lazy.

But yes, one time at sears a lady didnt want to sell me a battery cause she looked up on the computer and it didnt fit my application. I was like lady just sell me the goddamn battery.

And my parts house first choice has always been hi/lo-O'reillys. Even tho they have some dingbats in there too, there are usually older more experienced guys that know **** working in there and I've become good friends with them. I hate it when people start asking what size engine, 4x4 or 2wd....so now when I go in there I say "I need a wix oil filter for a 2001 chevrolet silverado 5.3 4x4 with A/C and a factory CD player.....they always look at me like I'm crazy, then they ask me again what size engine lol.

One of the main reasons I like Oreillys is because there isnt as much flashy dumb ricer **** in there to buy as Autozone has. I mean sure they have there fair share of grant steering wheels and flame floormats, but overall the place has a more mechanic-ee feel to it, like, I'm a grown man, here to buy grown man parts, to fix my grown man truck. No little boy **** here.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

I work for one of the auto parts boxes (not Autozone) and unfortunately that how they train people to use the computers. Some of the guys I work with follow that way, but most of us know what the right questions are to ask.

Also they don't list relays in the parts aisles by what kind they are. So unless the guy knows the part number to a standard relay they will be searching for 20 minutes to tell you they don't have one.

The part store should have some standard relays mixed in with the fuses, at least that's how my store has 2 or 3 different kinds.

Mike

Quick Reply: Stupid Autozone...