PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   THE TRUCK STOP (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/truck-stop-133/)
-   -   Stupid Autozone... (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/truck-stop-133/stupid-autozone-463725/)

budhayes3 06-07-2010 07:48 PM

Stupid Autozone...

So I go to AutoZone Saturday to pick up some Brakleen and relays for my fan harness (2 of em are smoked). I'm looking all throughout the electrical section and can't find shit. So I ask the guy at the counter where the relays are and he says "what kind of car"...I'm like, doesn't matter, I just need standard 30amp 5 pin relays. The guy looks at me with a glazed stare...he's like "I can't do anything without knowing what kind of a car it is"...so I tell him, it isn't for a stock application, it's for an aftermarket install, like the rows and rows of aftermarket lighting that you have here, and those funny horns, and that other stupid thing that does nothing but glow...you mean to tell me that every single person that comes in here and buys this crap hot wires them through switches? You must have a lot of repeat business for switches. The guys like, "yea, the switches do burn out a lot but that's normal".... :bang:

Strauss and Radio Shack didn't have them either...gonna have to hit a stereo shop or something I guess

dlt76028 06-07-2010 07:50 PM

That's their standard response to anything.. "What kind of car":eyes:

SILVERADO11 06-07-2010 07:52 PM

LMFAO! parts guys should have to have training of some sort to be able to work in a parts department. who needs relays just keep burning up switches

BlackGMC 06-07-2010 07:53 PM

This thread make me think of scott... (he works at an auto parts store....)

TIM Z 06-07-2010 07:55 PM

X10 on the autozone idiots, or for that matter, most people are so damn reliant on computers its sad.

All you need is driving light relays, they do have them at autozone last time i looked.

TX Tahoe Z71 06-07-2010 07:55 PM

"I have an 03 Tahoe, what size are my wiper blades?"

"...what size engine? Is it a flex fuel? Is it four wheel drive?"

"Crap, just tell me what size they are!!!!"

Mangled03gmc 06-07-2010 07:58 PM

They can't help it.. I went to pepboys one time and said i needed a timing cover gasket, he said just that, then what year. I said ummm 1993.. He then said no I really need to know, there are 3 diff kinds of sbc's.. I said know what I just remembered I have one.. Some people. LOL

smokeshow 06-07-2010 08:10 PM

AHHH that drives me insane. Especially dealerships, where they need the last 8 of the VIN to be anything remotely close to useful.

1LOW4X4 06-07-2010 08:19 PM

yeah that dealership last 8 shit drives me insane. Its cause they are lazy.

But yes, one time at sears a lady didnt want to sell me a battery cause she looked up on the computer and it didnt fit my application. I was like lady just sell me the goddamn battery.

And my parts house first choice has always been hi/lo-O'reillys. Even tho they have some dingbats in there too, there are usually older more experienced guys that know shit working in there and I've become good friends with them. I hate it when people start asking what size engine, 4x4 or 2wd....so now when I go in there I say "I need a wix oil filter for a 2001 chevrolet silverado 5.3 4x4 with A/C and a factory CD player.....they always look at me like I'm crazy, then they ask me again what size engine lol.

One of the main reasons I like Oreillys is because there isnt as much flashy dumb ricer shit in there to buy as Autozone has. I mean sure they have there fair share of grant steering wheels and flame floormats, but overall the place has a more mechanic-ee feel to it, like, I'm a grown man, here to buy grown man parts, to fix my grown man truck. No little boy shit here.

68haywagon 06-07-2010 08:35 PM

I work for one of the auto parts boxes (not Autozone) and unfortunately that how they train people to use the computers. Some of the guys I work with follow that way, but most of us know what the right questions are to ask.

Also they don't list relays in the parts aisles by what kind they are. So unless the guy knows the part number to a standard relay they will be searching for 20 minutes to tell you they don't have one.

The part store should have some standard relays mixed in with the fuses, at least that's how my store has 2 or 3 different kinds.

Mike