THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

oreillys

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oreillys

the manager at oreillys argued with me about whether or not a 99 silverado came with a 4.8, he said it either had to come with a 5.7 or 5.0. i told him no, that was the ck. anyway, after about 10 minutes of back and forth, he realized he was wrong and got me my freakin rear brake pads.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

haha. an autozone just went up close to here right across the street from a little auto parts place that has been there a while (big G). when my friend asked big G if autozone was going to hurt their business he said there is a bunch of idiots working there watch this, called autozone and asked if that carry 20w50 motor oil, the guy at autozone asked for what make and model car, big G said "see what i mean"
Old 04-19-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol i get tired of going too the parts stores its always stuff like that or something... thats like one guy was going too buy a hyper-tech for his truck 4.8, and i said go with a nelson,wheatly,or blackbear mail order tune and he was getting the web sites from me. well the guy working at oreilly's knew i had a nelson on my old truck and he told the dude you have a 4.8 he had a 5.3 urs wont do that good since its a 4.8 its not like it's going to pop a wheelie lmao
Old 04-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I work for oreillys and what do you expect us to be? Mechanics?

We don't get paid ****, so don't expect automotive geniuses to be working there. I know alot about our trucks and most LS based platforms, but ask me a complicated question about an old ford and I'd look like an idiot. Take a second to realize how many cars there are and have been over the last 50 years, and then imagine having to answer questions about all of those cars throughout the day, every day. I've learned a ton working for oreillys, and I'm still learning, but you really can't expect a counter guy to have the experience of someone whos worked as a mechanic or a tech for 30+ years.

And to the 20w50 comment that the guy at Big G made, asking what make and model is a smart question. I've had people come into my store asking about 20w50 to put into an 06 ford f150, which calls for 5w20. 50% of the customers I've dealt with really shouldn't be touching their cars
Old 04-19-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I've had people come into my store asking about 20w50 to put into an 06 ford f150, which calls for 5w20. 50% of the customers I've dealt with really shouldn't be touching their cars
hahaha i could imagine
Old 04-20-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And to the 20w50 comment that the guy at Big G made, asking what make and model is a smart question. I've had people come into my store asking about 20w50 to put into an 06 ford f150, which calls for 5w20. 50% of the customers I've dealt with really shouldn't be touching their cars
he asked if they had it on the shelf, it could have been for a lawn mower or anything for that matter. all they had to do was give him a yes or no answer, i understand what you are saying though, trying to cover your *** so the customers screw up doesnt come back on you for selling them the wrong item.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

i could understand that now......... i always wondered they ask year, make, and model before they even tell you hi
Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

all i know is dont to gayer zone with a car with a motor from another car. they look at you like your an idiot! had a 79 monte carlo with a 350 from an older z28. i think i needed a belt that was a a tad smaller than i had. what year and model sir. "just show me where the belts are pls" i will find it...
Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 454navyss
he asked if they had it on the shelf, it could have been for a lawn mower or anything for that matter. all they had to do was give him a yes or no answer, i understand what you are saying though, trying to cover your *** so the customers screw up doesnt come back on you for selling them the wrong item.
they could still be using the wrong oil for their application. On lawnmowers I usually recommend non detergent 30 weight
Old 04-20-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work for oreillys and what do you expect us to be? Mechanics?

We don't get paid ****, so don't expect automotive geniuses to be working there. I know alot about our trucks and most LS based platforms, but ask me a complicated question about an old ford and I'd look like an idiot. Take a second to realize how many cars there are and have been over the last 50 years, and then imagine having to answer questions about all of those cars throughout the day, every day. I've learned a ton working for oreillys, and I'm still learning, but you really can't expect a counter guy to have the experience of someone whos worked as a mechanic or a tech for 30+ years.

I think there's a difference between not having a wealth of knowledge and arguing with a customer about something.

Even a monkey can punch buttons which in 99% of the cases it's all I need them to do, but when the guy over the counter has to ask me what my year make and model is for a set of TR6 spark plugs that I have the part number for, I get a little annoyed.

Do your job to the best of your ability in any field, and that doesn't mean arguing with the customer about what they want.

Quick Reply: oreillys