THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

its really difficult...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
The ONLY time its in D is when im crusing on the highway, any other time below 70 its in 3rd. I believe this is a key to making the 80e, and especially 60e live.
So that's why you said to use 3rd next time I flog my truck!

Will do the same from now on. Yeah my tranny has been the one thing that's never failed me in the two high HP trucks I've had it in. Still running strong and making Jake miserable everytime he drives it!!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:13 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Sorry to hear about your luck man. That's a terrible feeling when something goes wrong far from home.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The ONLY time its in D is when im crusing on the highway, any other time below 70 its in 3rd. I believe this is a key to making the 80e, and especially 60e live.
mmm.... interesting, this makes me thinking, use D only driving around 0 beating on it and 3 for track and other beating on it

why would D break a transmission easier then 3?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trans issues are the biggest pain with a build.. My truck has been sitting almost a full year now because i trusted a local builder to install a transgo hd2 and rebuild stock 4l80e. Turns out this so calle professional was dumber that a sack of potatoes and didnt even replace the speed sensors! (original issue on trans) instead he rebuilt the trans which im out 1500 bucks :/ then he used washers to space my converter which he also did wrong and it jump out of trans. Messed up the splines on trans and screwed up flexplate! I have left my truck sittin in the shop on jackstands for 9 months now just too agravated to touch it anymore and have been focusing on my ls1 alot more. Sux that their are so few dependable builders out there these days.. hope u get the company to do their fair part so u get back on the road
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Registered abuser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a shame Gilbert isnt more active on these forums, although I know he is very busy actually working
Exactly, and well worth the wait.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:45 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by walledition
mmm.... interesting, this makes me thinking, use D only driving around 0 beating on it and 3 for track and other beating on it

why would D break a transmission easier then 3?
Youll have to get one of the trans guys in here to explain it better, but I believe it engages the overrun clutch...or something...

What ive heard is about the worst thing you can do is when you are doing a burnout, let it shift to 2nd then let off in high rpm at the top of second. I believe there is a part in the trans that turns in reverse at double speed...so bringing it from 10,000 down to 0 very quickly often breaks it.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Youll have to get one of the trans guys in here to explain it better, but I believe it engages the overrun clutch...or something...

What ive heard is about the worst thing you can do is when you are doing a burnout, let it shift to 2nd then let off in high rpm at the top of second. I believe there is a part in the trans that turns in reverse at double speed...so bringing it from 10,000 down to 0 very quickly often breaks it.
Yeah thats about right. In both cases they are roller type, one way sprags that can handle quite a bit of load applied gradually...but shock load can demolish them in a hurry. The overrun clutches take the load off of the roller clutch when not in D so it adds a lot of strength. Same thing with letting off in 2nd at high rpm, but its the intermediate sprag.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

thank you i see i need to change some actions then
Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 PM
GFYS and STFU

So doing rolling burnouts in 3rd gear will prevent that from happening? Or at least make sure what Richard said doesn't happen?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

The idea is not to let off during the burnout while its in 2nd gear.

Quick Reply: its really difficult...