TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

4wd Long travel Coilover Conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a streetable setup... and without going to the extreme. This is about the only moderate kit out there... anything above this personally I think you should have full custom work done. I plan on doing something like this just to get rid of the junk *** torsion bars....

99-06 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD Chase Kit
Old 08-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

dammit bbchevelle beat me to it. however i called brenthel about that 4wd chase kit and they told me they dont sell it anymore. aparently it didnt work with certain offsets and no one was ordering it so they discontinued it. I'm currently working on building a one off mid travel kit for my 2wd torsion truck and when im done ill post pics and specs on it. realistically i heard someone mention the 'bling' factor of coilovers, but if you drive a lifted torsion truck for more then ten minutes you'll want coilovers for alot more then just bling.
one option you might be able to consider is just getting the spindles and uppers from the Camburg mid travel 6.5 lift kit, and then hacking off the upper shock mount from the frame and building a shock hoop with engine cage and mounting a coilover to the stock lower arm and the custom shock hoop, and using the camburg spindle and upper. or if you could get someone to build you custom lowers for cheap that utilize a uniball that would be probably your best bet, and definitely wouldnt cost you 15000 dollars...
Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wayfastwhitey967
dammit bbchevelle beat me to it. however i called brenthel about that 4wd chase kit and they told me they dont sell it anymore. aparently it didnt work with certain offsets and no one was ordering it so they discontinued it. I'm currently working on building a one off mid travel kit for my 2wd torsion truck and when im done ill post pics and specs on it. realistically i heard someone mention the 'bling' factor of coilovers, but if you drive a lifted torsion truck for more then ten minutes you'll want coilovers for alot more then just bling.
one option you might be able to consider is just getting the spindles and uppers from the Camburg mid travel 6.5 lift kit, and then hacking off the upper shock mount from the frame and building a shock hoop with engine cage and mounting a coilover to the stock lower arm and the custom shock hoop, and using the camburg spindle and upper. or if you could get someone to build you custom lowers for cheap that utilize a uniball that would be probably your best bet, and definitely wouldnt cost you 15000 dollars...
Dang good advice right there! Thats what I have in mind for mine... If I can ever quit spending money on this damn chevelle!!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

thanks bbchevelle. thats pretty much the exact setup im going to be running, my goal is to basically have a raptor killer. horizontal upper uniball with heims on pivot, heim steering, custom lower arm with 1.5" uniball, camburg spindle, custom shock hoops built for 8" travel fox's, cut the factory bump stop mount off and fab a fox air bump in so when its at full compression the tire is as close to the fender as i can get it (taking into account potential tire stretching and whatnot) i want to be able to take some pretty big bumps with the best of em but i dont want flared fenders, i feel that flared fenders arent warranted for just a mid travel setup which is pretty much what that would be. flared fenders look awesome on a long traveled truck, but otherwise i think theyre ghey... also, the camburg spindles widen the track width 1.5 per side, so some 1.5" wheel spacers in back with deaver mini pack and double bypasses canti'd under the bed would be my ideal setup. Im realistically not going to pre run baja in the thing, but i do go to glamis and dumont and several other good offroad destinations and i would enjoy being able to romp around a bit without feeling like the truck is gunna rattle apart cause the torsions are so stiff, besides its upsetting that ford makes the raptor and chevy doesnt make anything even comparable, so i feel that with this setup not only would mine be comparable to a raptor, but in many ways better. (cause its got a bowtie of course)
Old 12-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

I am with blklime02... Go with the Dixon Bros!!! Very well made kit!!! And they have done the engineering and design behind the entire kit... And for the mid-long travel you are getting for that price is not bad at all... 10-20K is the average a custom shop will charge you to do a long travel kit on a truck for us... I called someone a few years back up in Phoenix and asked how much to make one for my truck cuz the one that they had was for the "Owners" truck... Beautiful kit but they only made the one for the Boss' truck... And they quoted me 18K without shocks!!!

But the Dixon Bros one is pretty damn good!

1999-2006 Chevy 4wd 1500 Long Travel Suspension Kit - Long Travel Suspensions - Dixon Bros Racing
Old 12-27-2011, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

Give these guys a call, they may have something and their quality is outstanding!!

Off-Road Design
Old 01-11-2012, 03:05 AM
Teching In

try JD fabrication in escondido, really nice work there. its on my wish list
Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Teching In

X2 on the dixon brothers kit.

Its the only one I have seen in person work well.

Ditch the 4x4 and go 2wd and get some real travel out of it.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:32 AM
Staging Lane

Jd fab makes one. It's been almost 6 years I wonder what he got.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blklime02
1999-2006 Chevy 4wd 1500 Long Travel Suspension Kit - Long Travel Suspensions - Dixon Bros Racing

Or look for a 08 and up silverado 4x4 they comes with struts not torsion bars ..im not sure but, think them lower and upper arms fit our older trucks
Does anybody know for shure if the nnbs a arms fit? Id be all about trying that out. I know a guy that owns a salvage yard and could get the parts easy enough. Maybe ill take some measurements tomorrow if I get time. I need new shocks anyways.

Quick Reply: 4wd Long travel Coilover Conversion.