TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

OEM Navigation upgrade for GMT800's

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I think I've got what I need located and bought. I found a 15114454 amp from an Escalade for $100, shipped. I found a center console harness that includes the microphone and all the connectors for $50, shipped. All the new speakers will be here tomorrow. The Pioneer head unit and the PAC GM11 are already in the truck and working fine.

Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Okay, finally got time to work on it. Made a couple of missteps along the way, but it all works now. I need to finish the assembly of the truck, the console is still loose, and the seats are out. So far, it sounds good. Fully assembled and adjusted it should be great. Stuffing the amp and the subwoofer, mounted in the box, into the console is extremely difficult. But I did not want to put anything under the seats, I use that storage space for other things.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3500Silverado
Okay, finally got time to work on it. Made a couple of missteps along the way, but it all works now. I need to finish the assembly of the truck, the console is still loose, and the seats are out. So far, it sounds good. Fully assembled and adjusted it should be great. Stuffing the amp and the subwoofer, mounted in the box, into the console is extremely difficult. But I did not want to put anything under the seats, I use that storage space for other things.
Thanks, do you feel the how-to needs any improvements to the article?

I do see some of the links are down, I have the PDF for factory nav install a full GM how to R&R and install the GPS antenna, I will still need to add info... for oversea's truck family.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:57 PM
Teching In

I think the how to for the conversion from Bose amp to luxury Bose amp is fine. That's pretty much all that I used from the article, since I used an aftermarket radio. I have not installed a back up camera, yet, and since I have a smart phone, I'm not spending the money on navi.

I can say for certain that you can use the PAC RP5 GM11 interface to make an aftermarket head unit work with the Bose luxury amp. And it seems to work well, I like it. I should add that I dumped the factory subwoofer for an 8" Pioneer, powered by a Pioneer amp, all in the console. So I cannot say how it would work with the factory subwoofer driven by the luxury amp, but I see no reason it won't.

I took pictures of the speaker mounting in the doors, including the tweeters, and the tweeters in the A pillars, but all of that stuff is pretty straight forward. I also took pictures of the console modifications to stuff the subwoofer and aftermarket amp in it.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Bringing back from the dead again...

First off I will say, this is an excellent article, thoroughly researched and with great detail. I'm impressed at the level of care that camcamaro1991 put into it.

I went and got a 15800001 radio and 15114454 amp from a 05 Escalade EXT in a local JY to put in my 04 Av. That seemed like the acoustic properties should be a good matchI had forgot that the console wiring harness is a complete stand-alone thing, so I didn't get that, and had to rewire my original. Got a GPS antenna (even though the nav portion of the deal is not real important to me), added the VSS signal wire, installed everything, buttoned everything up. It seems to work: the door speaker chime works which requires the complete signal path through the amp, the radio comes on and puts up the Chevy screen (the image file must live in the BCM not the radio I guess), and it says "theftlock activated". Good so far. This is what I expected.

Then went to the dealer, who agreed without too much fuss to program it. I had receipts etc. so they seemed satisfied that it was legit.

No bueno however. They report that the Tech2 sees that the unit is there on other functions, so the data connection is active; but when they go to its Vehicle ID screen to get to VIN Relearn, Nav Radio isn't in the option list at all. Therefore there's no way to program it. So I'm stuck with a radio that permanently says "theftlock activated".

Anybody know what needs to be done? Find a Tech2 w some older software version or something? Anybody out there that has the ability to do this? Anybody who has done this upgrade willing to check? I really don't want to go find a harness like my original and tear the whole thing down again so I can put my old stuff back in.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Bringing back from the dead again...

First off I will say, this is an excellent article, thoroughly researched and with great detail. I'm impressed at the level of care that camcamaro1991 put into it.

I went and got a 15800001 radio and 15114454 amp from a 05 Escalade EXT in a local JY to put in my 04 Av. That seemed like the acoustic properties should be a good matchI had forgot that the console wiring harness is a complete stand-alone thing, so I didn't get that, and had to rewire my original. Got a GPS antenna (even though the nav portion of the deal is not real important to me), added the VSS signal wire, installed everything, buttoned everything up. It seems to work: the door speaker chime works which requires the complete signal path through the amp, the radio comes on and puts up the Chevy screen (the image file must live in the BCM not the radio I guess), and it says "theftlock activated". Good so far. This is what I expected.

Then went to the dealer, who agreed without too much fuss to program it. I had receipts etc. so they seemed satisfied that it was legit.

No bueno however. They report that the Tech2 sees that the unit is there on other functions, so the data connection is active; but when they go to its Vehicle ID screen to get to VIN Relearn, Nav Radio isn't in the option list at all. Therefore there's no way to program it. So I'm stuck with a radio that permanently says "theftlock activated".

Anybody know what needs to be done? Find a Tech2 w some older software version or something? Anybody out there that has the ability to do this? Anybody who has done this upgrade willing to check? I really don't want to go find a harness like my original and tear the whole thing down again so I can put my old stuff back in.

did you try a bypass to verify music will play?
Old 07-22-2018, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Yes: the radio works right, plays stations etc. Nav even works, except I don't have a disc. It updated the time off the satellites though.

Appreciate the help!!
Old 07-22-2018, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

And by the way, it DOES sound significantly better than the original Bose radio, which already really didn't sound too bad at all.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RB04Av
And by the way, it DOES sound significantly better than the original Bose radio, which already really didn't sound too bad at all.
Sadly I have asked for my local dealers to help me though the process so I could get more pics learn more about the TECH 2, nobody I spoke to in DFW area would help. Everytime I go a GM dealer and get technical they tell me don't worry we have "World Class Tech's" I find it funny as a previous Master MB tech myself, even I could still learn from stuff from customers and always spoke to clients who requested the working tech, hell I would walk them back in the shop and show them in person, had a few sit with me in their cars and watched me do the work from time to time. I can't step foot in a GM shop the techs disappear.

I would try another dealer. Did the original dealer go through the steps? did you bring the list of how to access the radio, A/C control module. etc...? might be an issue with the BCM.

There is might be a manual way to removing the VIN relearn but it requires permanent mod to the radio inside, not sure how it will affect the splash screen on boot up might just say Delphi everytime, really not sure.

Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 07-22-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Yes I brought the destructions for how to do it. I've found the same ones elsewhere. I don't think there was a problem with the tech not knowing how to go through that process, rather, when he got there, the option it calls for wasn't there. Maybe a newer version of Tech2 software or some such.

I think there are people that can jam a VIN into the radio without requiring that it access it from the vehicle by the Tech2 route. Speedo repair places and the like, where they need the same thing done. I'm going to try that route. I'll let you know.

Don't too much care what the splash screen says as long as the radio works.

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation upgrade for GMT800's