TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

OEM Navigation upgrade for GMT800's

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Funkster
I have tried reading through, but must be missing the answer.

I am looking at a used TBSS Navigation unit for my truck. However, it is an 03 Silverado 1500 Work Truck. (AM/FM Only) Am I correct in assuming there is not a way for me to install this in my truck?
Depends on your RPO codes

My brother does NOT have Bose system (similar to your work truck, but again check your RPO codes), so referenced my article i used a TNR# 15811289

RPO CODE UQ3 or UQ5 TRUCKs (non-Bose) (has internal amplifier)

Non-Bose TNR ----------15811289
Old 10-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad CDX ?

I hate to dig up an old post but,

I used this guide to do my swap. First I wanted to say thank you for the workit took to put it together.

I used the Touch screen nav from a Trailblazer SS and after a mess getting
it unlocked by GM dealer it works fine, so I can say they work just fine. I grabbed a harness for the CDX and the GPS antenna from GMparts direct
and went after it. Nav unit went in no problem as did the gps antenna. The
unlock was a pain as my local GM dealers are a bunch of *******. The cutting for the CDX takes some nerve but is 100% doable. I used a dremel with a cut off wheel and went at it. Took a while of fine sanding to get the fit.

This brings me to the second reason I came to post. I put the CDX in and soldered the wires as per the drawing and info in this guide. I have checked these connections many times for being correct and a good mechanical connection. The audio from the CDX is noisy and some what garbled. I have tried different CDs both burnt and retail albums on disc. I have no idea how to pin point the issue as there is not much in the system that I can check. The disc all play fine in other players but in the CDX there is noise like hiss and alternator whine as well as the music is garbled. If any one can offer any thing I would be grateful. I am about to buy yet another CDX to see if that is it as I dont know what else to do.

2004 Silverado Z71
Old 10-13-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrgrim
I hate to dig up an old post but,

I used this guide to do my swap. First I wanted to say thank you for the workit took to put it together.

I used the Touch screen nav from a Trailblazer SS and after a mess getting
it unlocked by GM dealer it works fine, so I can say they work just fine. I grabbed a harness for the CDX and the GPS antenna from GMparts direct
and went after it. Nav unit went in no problem as did the gps antenna. The
unlock was a pain as my local GM dealers are a bunch of *******. The cutting for the CDX takes some nerve but is 100% doable. I used a dremel with a cut off wheel and went at it. Took a while of fine sanding to get the fit.

This brings me to the second reason I came to post. I put the CDX in and soldered the wires as per the drawing and info in this guide. I have checked these connections many times for being correct and a good mechanical connection. The audio from the CDX is noisy and some what garbled. I have tried different CDs both burnt and retail albums on disc. I have no idea how to pin point the issue as there is not much in the system that I can check. The disc all play fine in other players but in the CDX there is noise like hiss and alternator whine as well as the music is garbled. If any one can offer any thing I would be grateful. I am about to buy yet another CDX to see if that is it as I dont know what else to do.

2004 Silverado Z71
2 things come to mind,

1st. take apart the trim & radio (leave the radio components connected)have access where you ran the CDX wiring harness, moving the wiring around when a cd is playing to see if it gets worse or better? I believe its picking up noise. Its a possibility its similar to a amp install when you run the power next to RCA cables, its good practice to isolate the power away from the sound channels or speaker input/outputs when possible. (I did not have any issues with my CDX harness) sorry mate.

2nd. The CD changer may have a internal fault with causing the noise.

try the 1st one and report back please, this way others can follow along with the process.

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 10-13-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Teching In

That is what I did today. I also rerouted the harness to see if it got pinched or cut on a metal brace or some thing. I could not find any damage to the harness
and no movement or rerouting made any change good or bad.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is what I did today. I also rerouted the harness to see if it got pinched or cut on a metal brace or some thing. I could not find any damage to the harness
and no movement or rerouting made any change good or bad.
What CDX part number do you have?

is the CDX changer used? I assume it is, if so I know there are shady people that sale used items.
you may have to try another unit to see it fixes the issue.

have you tried cleaning the laser in the CDX?

Did you solder or use crimp connectors?

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 10-13-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:23 AM
Teching In

15055250 is the CDX I used and it was from ebay. I did not open the CDX as there are
security tags in place from the seller. I was to the point of returning it and getting another
so I did not want to break the seal. I soldered the connections and have gone over them
3 times now to be sure they were good joints. I looked around for a new one but could
not find them offered by any place.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Question

15055250 is the CDX I used and it was from ebay. I did not open the CDX as there are
security tags in place from the seller. I was to the point of returning it and getting another
so I did not want to break the seal. I soldered the connections and have gone over them
3 times now to be sure they were good joints. I looked around for a new one but could
not find them offered by any place.
ok, no worries on the connections. I did get mine on eBay and got lucky (not rebuilt, just used and in mint condition)! looks as if you got a rebuilt from the seller, I would return it ASAP. I listed ALT part #'s you may want to try one of those. I think I used 15207055 for my truck.

Sorry I can't do more for you, please keep me posted, as it really helps out everyone on the forums if they run into this issue.

I am curious of the sellers security seals, can you take pics when you take it back out?
Old 10-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Teching In

I found another on Ebay that seems to have a better back story and looks to be in good shape. Another $200 including the shipping and I should have it in 2 or 3 days. At that point I will swap them and get you a pic of the seals.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Well I replaced the CDX with another Ebay unit. This one is from an 05 and as per the seller was pulled in 06 and stored in the house. Its looks new and after I swapped it in
the hiss and other noises are greatly reduced to the point of no longer being an issue. The
audio quality is also much better. So I am going to say the CDX itself was the issue in this case.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I replaced the CDX with another Ebay unit. This one is from an 05 and as per the seller was pulled in 06 and stored in the house. Its looks new and after I swapped it in
the hiss and other noises are greatly reduced to the point of no longer being an issue. The
audio quality is also much better. So I am going to say the CDX itself was the issue in this case.
That's great news, congrats on your install. Thanks for the update

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation upgrade for GMT800's