STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

New Battery = HID Flicker??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Battery = HID Flicker??

OK, went and got a Duralast gold battery today. Old one was GONE, original from 02 model. So they put it in for me...I didnt even know they were doing it while i was paying. After I take off, I noticed the HID's in ALL my lights have just a slight flicker to them. WTF?? And It wont go away. What is causing this? Its really annoying me! Also, it doesnt do it at idle, but at about 1100 RPM it starts...I know the alternator should be fine! Its only bout a year old. Bad battery??
Old 10-08-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You get the relay kit? Connect them straight to the battery, the regular connectors can't often take that load that the HID's initially draw, especially the 55w.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:46 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a wrench on those battery bolts. It's very possible that one of the cables isn't tight enough.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
You get the relay kit? Connect them straight to the battery, the regular connectors can't often take that load that the HID's initially draw, especially the 55w.
I have a relay, Ive run these lights for 8 months now.
Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Get a wrench on those battery bolts. It's very possible that one of the cables isn't tight enough.
I checked all the cabels...all tight. Now what? Im lost
Old 10-09-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

ANYONE? I dont know where else to look now.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

I have had my share of aftermarket hid problems. They usually don't last long and you have had them for 8 months now, I've had them go bad in 2 months. It could be bad ballast, bulds, or relay harness. I took care of all my problems by using oem denso ballast and oem phillips bulbs. My buddy had the same problem on brand new hide as your having. Never asked him what it was.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blownss06
I have had my share of aftermarket hid problems. They usually don't last long and you have had them for 8 months now, I've had them go bad in 2 months. It could be bad ballast, bulds, or relay harness. I took care of all my problems by using oem denso ballast and oem phillips bulbs. My buddy had the same problem on brand new hide as your having. Never asked him what it was.
I mean it just blows my mind...they worked just fine as I drove to Auto Zone. Changed battery and ALL the bulbs have that slight flicker. hi's, low's, fog's...all of them flicker. I know what u are saying about them going bad, but I know they all didnt go bad at the exact same time. And all the relays didnt go out. Something out of the ordinary is causing this.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Being that you have them on all your lights then yes something weird about that. Another buddy at work had the same issue with flickering and it turned out to be his harness. It could be that all your light got a jolt of voltage messing them up, sounds like a long shot but you never know. I would check to see if your terminals are clean. I dough that the guy at autzone clean the wire terminal.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blownss06
Being that you have them on all your lights then yes something weird about that. Another buddy at work had the same issue with flickering and it turned out to be his harness. It could be that all your light got a jolt of voltage messing them up, sounds like a long shot but you never know. I would check to see if your terminals are clean. I dough that the guy at autzone clean the wire terminal.
I was thinking the same thing, Im gonna check it out asap! also, it seems they do not flicker while the vehicle is off or idleing, but about 1k rpms and above.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a good ground? What kit are you using?

Quick Reply: New Battery = HID Flicker??