Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Trans Troubles... yet again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man I wish that I could take that trans apart like you.

How was the valve body? I'm running NO washers in mine. How big did you drill holes on the plate to? I'd hose out the valve body, and get some other converter in there.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:16 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

This looks like a piece from the torrington bearing between the input drum and the input sprag. You better open up the input drum and take a look. Vince
Old 05-20-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this a FLT tranny?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:51 PM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Originally Posted by onebadrubi
is this a FLT tranny?
Nope... That's an I&E Engineer's Special Project. I just didn't like looking at the painted-over gunk that existed before. Wanted to make it look a bit better. BTW, I was told that FLT doesn't paint their transmissions anymore. Vince will have to update his sig to show a more "virgin" colored transmission.

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
This looks like a piece from the torrington bearing between the input drum and the input sprag. You better open up the input drum and take a look. Vince
That's the one thing I didn't open up. Since all I did was button the pump back in place (as to not leave anything open to the atmosphere), I'll look at that sometime next week. This is why I post a lot of pics. Someone may see what I don't see. Thanks, Vince!

I wasn't supposed to get this far today, but I did. The trans disassembly and reassembly isn't an impossible task, but I will say it takes a helluva lot of time to tear one apart and reassemble. I see why performance shops have a backorder. This is a good bit of work. It may be some time before I get to finish this. I'm tired of looking at it, but I'll post up what I find.

Last edited by 95ImpSS; 05-21-2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1BADC10
BTW, I was told that FLT doesn't paint their transmissions anymore. Vince will have to update his sig to show a more "virgin" colored transmission.
Yeah, Vince should use my transmission as the new poster child for FLT, although i am gonna miss not having that signature black FLT transmission. although i could paint it deep blue metallic
Old 05-21-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Litreddevil (Randy) is working in Chenneye, wy. So im sure he is pretty busy..

Man i told you to send me that converter... i had to end up shooting stupid paper targets again.. It is nice to hear a bullet sound off when it hits the target.

BTW... DO NOT SEND THE CONVTER BACK TO PTC!!!!! Get a yank or somthing man... ive had trouble with 7 of 7 PTC converters.... wonder why i told you that in the first place...

Can you describe the color of the "Stuff" in the bottom of that pan?? Did you see any thing close to the same color as brass? or goldish shiny stuff?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Can you describe the color of the "Stuff" in the bottom of that pan?? Did you see any thing close to the same color as brass? or goldish shiny stuff?
Saw some shavings (metallic) in the pan.... also seeing grey-ish like **** bonding to the magnet in the pan.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:59 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Make sure when you go into the input drum to check the input/forward sprag. I wounder if your problem might be in there. Good luck buddy. Vince
Old 05-21-2007, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Make sure when you go into the input drum to check the input/forward sprag. I wounder if your problem might be in there. Good luck buddy. Vince
That's where it was the very first time this trans went South. I remember the first "builder" telling me that's where my first issue was. If so, what could be causing that? I'll take some close-ups whenever I have time to work on it.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Randy told me that if you see any shiny brass or goldish colored shavings its the bearings and internals of the TC... Thats what was in my pan the first time..

Any just dark colored Smoot is prob the clutch material or something like that....
and i dont know what im talking about... just tryin to help......

Quick Reply: Trans Troubles... yet again!