PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2008 yukon build.....Err uh mod thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Been busy as hell with work, this ridiculously expensive holiday and everything else, however i did get a few tools to help with the front diff bearing swap i really need to find time to get to sooner than later....

Adjuster for side bearing shims

Pinion bearing remover/installer for gm 8.25....
Old 12-27-2016, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Had a headlight go out on me ... So i had to change one of my headlights today and ended up just going ahead and changing both of them, which meant rather than pulling the front fascia completely off i had to pull the air box out, so i went ahead and did the air box mod to open it up a little, not sure it really makes a differemce but i did it anyway.....

Airbox and fender mod done....

Also went ahead and checked on my dtcs and the p0016 was moved to being a history code, so i cleared it out and the truck starts fine, so i decided to play with the cam actuator and it isnt doing anything when commanded, just stays at 0* even when its commanded to 20*, think i may go ahead and pull the water pump and test the magnet, also going to try to find time to read the evm and see what is going on with the tune, just to make sure everything is as it needs to be to control the vvt... have an actuator and new oil control valve waiting in case i have to go that far... fingers crossed i dont have to!!! Cant remember if i had replaced the actuator magnet when i built the engine or used the one i had on the timing cover, will probably go ahead and replace it while i am there one way or the other..... also have another cam actuator/sensor harness in my tool box in the event that got damaged in the flood...
Old 01-03-2017, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Last few days i have started noticing a random squealing noise coming from what seems to be the front end, possibly the front u joint... kind of a scraping squealing speed related noise, but seems to be more pronounced at lower speeds (25-30 seems to be the worst) i know the front diff bearings are shot, thing that gets me with this noise is i originally thought it was coming from the rear... that or i have a noise in rear and now the same type noise from front now...i will hopefully be able to investigate tomorrow evening, maybe thursday..
Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

As much as i liked the factory wheels, i wanted a different look and some meaty tires, and after the flood i have decided a lift is eventually in order...

General grabber x3s in 295/55r20

The wheels have a +15 offset which works out to something close to 5.6" backspacing, puts them right about flush with the fender lips!!!

Mounted the rear tires first, ran out of time to get the leveling kit on the front..., new tires were awesome in the snow and ice we got this weekend

Got around to getting the leveling kit put in earlier this evening, front tires will be on tomorrow evening... loosened the upper strut mounts first...

Unbolted the sway bar links...

Unbolted the lower strut mount...

Knocked upper ball joint loose...

Dropped the strut down enough to install the upper spacer...

Installed the upper spacer...

Started the supplied nuts..kept the factpry nuts for the full lift.

Started the lower bolts through the lower spacer....

Tightened the lower bolts.... along with tighteneing the upper nuts, reinstalling the ball joint, sway bar link, and put wheels back on...

...and, the truck is now level, this is just temporary until i can get a full 6" lift...

And my quick 15 minute alignment after i was finished just to get it home... really want to increase the caster a little bit and bring the camber to about .5 on both sides... the factory tires were wearing on the outer edges... especially the right front... but the only adjustment i had really needed to make was the right toe which ended up at +0.90

Once i get the new wheels and tires on and everything is good, i may end up selling the factory wheels with the tires that are on them.... as well as the leveling kit once i get the 6" lift on it....

Last edited by Wolftrk99; 01-09-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice tires. Looks pretty aggressive. I wonder what a a /4 inch lift looks Like on one of those/
Old 01-12-2017, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Still debating if i want a 4" or a 6" lift on it... wanna figure out why i have a .5-.75" difference left to right in my height at the fender lip.. if i need new springs that would be the time to do the lift!! Fronts, i would get a set of quikstruts. If its in the rear the lift comes with springs!
Old 01-12-2017, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

I really like the look of lifted tahoes/yukons don't see many of them tho.

Are those the new general grabber mud terrains they just released last year? I had their AT2s on my Mercedes and being rwd it did great in the snow and light mud.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, the new x3s, only downside is weight and fact they only come in E load range, but for a mud tire they ride really well and arent very loud... i had no issues on the skating rink they called roads last week!
Old 01-12-2017, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Wow load E only thats kind of annoying but they are new so im sure they will come out in more sizes and loads eventually. They look great when I saw them released I was hoping to hear good reviews glad you like them!
Old 01-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookin good! Got any pics with the front finished?

Quick Reply: 2008 yukon build.....Err uh mod thread