PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2008 yukon build.....Err uh mod thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

If you can put together a jigsaw puzzle and an engine you can build a trans.... And yes i have been inside a trans or 100 and been paid for it.... 6lx0 are about my favorite transmissions to build at this point, there is no band to mess with, no servos, and valve body is a cakewalk compared to any of the others, if someone would comeout with a hardened pump cover and bellhousing, and figure out how to build the 3-5-r drum without it cracking or having to be welded together, they would be onto something!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pictures speak 1000 words.....

Old 09-15-2016, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Trans is back together and i have all 6 gears, not sure what the problem is but when i tried to flash the ecm with hptuners with the proper injector flow rates and change a fee other things, i lost the trans and had to reflash it with sps to get it back! Dont remenber changing anything with the tcm, have to go back and look at it when my laptop decides its not dead anymore!! Had a dead miss on 6 and 8, changed out the plug wires and fixed that, was trying to reuse the wires off the 5.3 but one had broken coming off, and i think the other the metal end (drawing a blank on what its called) was spread and just not making good contact with the plug... Also had a chance to get the transfer case control module reflashed and swap the encoder motor with the one from the original transfer case! Was throwing a c0569 code, which was due to the encoder motor that came on the transfer case not working! Dont remember if i mentioned this or not but when i was getting everything together fir the swap the 32spline input for the 1st design nqh transfer cases is not available, so i found a used transfer case, that was supposed to have 27,000 miles on it for $400, it came in looking like it had been sitting for a while.... When i did the swap last weekend i pulled the fill plug, assuming it had been drained prior to being pulled and it started leaking what looked like pepto bismol out of the fill plug, and i had been trying to get the tccm to learn the encoder motor/transfer case position and it wouldnt learn, so i called the place i bought it from yesterday and told them what was going on, they offered to pick it up on their next trip through and give me a refund, i told them i would rather they send me out anither transfer case! The guy said if they had one they would, but they didnt! So i said i would keep this one, but that we needed to work something out because i was going to have to rebuild a transfer case that i was expecting to be a drop in and go.... He gave me a refund of half of what i paid for the unit!!! I flushed it out tonight with clean trans fluid (alot of which i ended up wearing) and swapped the encoder motor and it works now! Tomorrow night i have a couple of broken fascia bolts to extract(the 4 on the sides that bolt the fascia to the fender and one of the lower brackets the speed nut broke and is just spinning), hopefully it wont take too long and i can get the fascia back on and start tuning the engine....
Old 09-16-2016, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its official she runs and drives and is sitting in front of my house, only have a couple minor issues that need to be addressed, in reflashing the bcm i theft locked my radio and xm receiver, and there is a small oil leak from either the oil cooler block off plate or the #5 main bearing cap side bolt, come to think of it i am not sure i actually ever replaced the cap side bolts, so i will be doing that and a new block off plate seal tomorrow... As far as the radio and xm, i was able to unlock the radio, but not sure what to do with the xm receiver, have been thinking about calling gm and getting a code to turn the tu/td on in my stock files otherwise, sad part is all indications are telling me my vin is still in the bcm! I used an 08 denali vin to reprogram the bcm with the correct operating system to get tu/td working and only a few of the files werent the same.... figure calling gm would be less expensive than a new digital radio receiver!! Almost forgot my park assist is throwing a service oark assist message in the DIC!! I have not installed the 6 soeed cluster i have as of yet, debating on whether i want to go ahead and order a denali cluster!! At the moment when i hit the tu/td button it uses the 1,2,3 to jndicate gear, 1st will have the little indicator under it, upshift and goes to the 2 and so on.... I need to sell off some of the spare parts i have before i can buy more!! At some point i will find a proper connector and eliminate the 16-18 butt connectors i have on the leg of the harness i had to add to the engine harness for the x300(fuel pump relay control, fuel level and evap vent valve ) and the bank 2 downsream) i also want a set of denali tailllights, but the front end and probably read end and ujoints are the next order of business for this truck..... At least as far as parts and spending money ...

All 4 of the fascia to fender bolts broke coming off along with the speed nuts on the lower fascia brackets..

Pic sucks, but bolts are out, a little heat and a stud extra tor and the came right out through the inner wall of the fender....

And she is officially back together, aside from a couple odd and ends....

Just realized this started as a plan for a dod delete with as close to stock cam as i could find...
Old 09-17-2016, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just as a start for it, have been asked to kinda write up a step by step how to of what i have done to get everything together for this swap, which took ALOT of reaearch, and way too many hours staring at the screen of my phone to get done, trying to figure out the compatibility of everything and ehat all i needed to get it working!!! I need to thank a fee people, for letting me pick their brains, and other things along the way...tgui, for the denali vin, jordanH, niff(thiugh i am truly sorry the head deal fell through), motohead911, 1fastbrick, and some other people that are not on this site, particulary the guys in the oarts department at work for dealing with me running part numbers and vins and everything else the past few months!! Guess i will start with a list of parts i used.... Not going to list the used stuff i have bought....

Harness out of a 2011 silverado(looking back, a 2008 or 2009 2500hd with the 2speed transfer case probably wiuld have worked and used all stock sensors)
Air cleaner assembly for newer style cartridge maf sensor
Shift lever
Trans cooler line assembly
Trans cooler line from the aux cooler to the radiator
Maf sensor (cartridge style)
I am sure there is more...
Heres my step by step, remove front end, to access the top plate of the core support, discharging the ac in the process, slide the power steering return line hose clamp back pull like off route the portion of the harness that goes between the power steering hose behind them, disconnect the alternator, move the battery feed cable out of the way, unbolt the bracket drop it down out the way. Remove the intake manifold, remove the nut from the bellhousing bolt for the fuel line bracket.... Remove the front diff, and unbolt the steering rack just so it will drop down, remove the y pipe, remove the transfer case and the driveshafts, disconnect the x300 connector from the chassis harbess, disconnect the harness from the stud retainers on the firewall and frame as well as the ecm, remove the tcm from the ecm bracket, disconnect the harness from the fuse box and separate the x109 connector below the fuse block, disconnect the front diff actuator harness, remive the trans cross member, remove the exhaust manifolds(optional but gives more wiggle room, unbolt the engine mounts from the frame.... Remove engine and trans.... Reverse to install, with exception of if the harness is 10 or 11 and up with a 6l80 the rear driver side o2 and x300 connectors became part of the chassis harness, so you will need to remove as much if the two connectors and their wires from the factory harness(or a spare harness) as possible 3-4 feet will be good! In pre 2010 vehicles they have a low side ac swjtch that the 2010up dont have, need pull that connector and wires as well, the ground will go to passenger side head and if equipped with an nqh transfer case the positive side will go to the c12 terminal in the x109 connector.... Get everything back in.... This is where the fun begins.... Gm sps is the best way to program the trans and bcm to get everything working... Use the replace and program function for the tcm, and programming function for everything else....starting with the bcm, when it cones up manually enter the vin and compare your stock files to the ones for the vin you want to use to program it with, (i think i may have just figured out how to fix my xm module, damn i need to buy my own mdi or other programming cable, id be doing it right now) any way once you reprogram the bcm with the updates, do the smae for the radio to unlock it, i even went as far as programming the theft deterrent module and doing a VTD relearn, you will also need to relearn the sdm and crank position variance after programming everything... My word of advice, if anyone else decides to do this do the trans or engine first... More than likely the transwoukd be best to do first, you can technically use a vvt cam sensor harness if you are planning on going that route and just leave the solenoid connector disconnected behind the water pump... Or zip toe it to the sensor harness for the time being...if this was just an engine swap or just a trans swap.. It would have taken no time at all aside from the time it took to run the harness which really wasnt too bad just time consuming building a harness for thex300 and o2 conector and splicing it in...

As far as total time on this including fixing broken body bolts not including building engine and trans which i took my sweet *** time with... Started last tuesday or wednesday bolting engine and trans together, installing ac bracket, bolting down the torque converter, bolting mounts on, building transfer case and trans vent hoses, figure an hour or so a day.. So 4.5 or so hours, last friday from 5-7:30, pulling intake, front diff, t case, driveshafts, fascia,right inner fender liner, disconnecting harbess!... Then saturday from 8:45ish to 7:28 (which including the time i spent trying to figure out the harness and in swappilng injectors from the 5.3 intake to the l92 intake, then sunday spent anothe 3'hours getting harness runa nd fluid levels right etc, then 8 hours between yesterday and today and the little bit here and the i had messed with it between i have roughly 28 hours total in the swap and figuring out the programming...sadly the engine and trans ina nd out was really only about 6 hours of that... Rest was chasing parts, going back in and fixing screw ups broken bolts etc...
Old 09-17-2016, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Now to get way in over my head and start learning how to tune it....
Old 09-17-2016, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
This is the yukon i traded my 13 ccsb in on.... It is the kid carrier/road trip vehicle so probably not going to go too nuts on it some little mild stuff here and there as time and money permit.....
Just reread the first post.... Wow, that statement got slightly blown out of the water.......

Realized tonight my rear liftgate wont unlock, with the key fob or door switch, i think suvs with power liftgates may have an extra module back there, would explain the park assist not working....
Old 09-20-2016, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

An update of sorts, aside from having to take a step back and find a better tutorial on how to tune gen 4 vve tables; i have been half *** logging and watching fuel trims on the vcm scanner trying to get used to filling in the rows... I have also been watching misfire monitors(which i know with the cam cant really be trusted) and there is something going on on bank 2.... I set up a channel for misfire data and at idle i have fairly consistent misfires on 6 and 8 with 4 and 2 popping up at about half the rate of 8 and 6 being almost a constant miss, bit off idle they all clear up, and bank 1 will throw misfires randomly but is 2-3 per misfire cycle whereas 6 will throw 30-40 misses per cycle on average, soon as i get over this bronchitis, i will be figuring out whether it an injector, intake gasket, coil, something miswired, or some sort of internal issue...
Old 09-20-2016, 11:06 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 767 Likes on 634 Posts

Pushrod length...
Old 09-20-2016, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why would that affect2 cylinders more than others? Not saying its not a possibility, but...

Quick Reply: 2008 yukon build.....Err uh mod thread