SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has painted their own truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:52 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who has painted their own truck?

The paint on my 99 is in pretty bad shape, worn through and chipped in some places, scratched in others (some through the color, some in the clear coat)...there's not a single panel that has good paint still. I'm trying to decide what I want to do with it.

I got a quote from a local body shop to paint the whole thing, they want $6k. I'm sure I could find another quality shop for cheaper than that, but still, it's a big chunk of change.

Those who have painted their own vehicles, how much time and money did you have into it when all was said and done? Could I do individual panels rather than doing the whole truck at once? Did you build your own paint booth in your garage? Any issues with dust and such? What size compressor did you use with your spray gun?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Have have done several paint jobs in booths and garages. Cost really depends on alot of things. What kinda of primer. What color paint. What quality of paint. If you have a spray gun. If you want single stage or base/clear.

IMO a paint job is as good as the prep work and the final color sanding/buffing.

Your cost wuestion is tooooo generic. Toss up a number you want to spend.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 PM
High on diesel fumes

I'm looking at gray metallics right now (Cyber Gray caught my eye). 2 stage urethane. I will need a spray gun kit and a water separator.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Resident Retard

I guess i will start with your questions. Painting in the garage. Get tons of lights!! Mop the floor prior to painting. A cool trick to keeping dust down on a garage paint job. Leave the floor wet, it will make the overspray stick to it. Try to do it on a calm day. Point some fans sucking air out of the garage pointing outwards. If you get dust in the base coat it can be sanded out prior to shooting clear.

Compressor size. The bigger the better. The more the compressor runs the hotter the air in it gets. Shooting with hot air can cause the paint to dry prior to hitting the surface. Also the more it runs the more moisture gets in the tanks. A good water seperator is required.

A spray gun, get at least 2, preferrable 3. 1 for primer, one for base, one for clear. It can be done with 1 but three is best. Just make sure to completely clean it. hF, northerntool, home depot and lowes have decent cheap guns. Just make sure to get a HVLP gun.

If you want more specifics just ask. I worked in a body shop for a few years back in high school.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Resident Retard

I would not sugest metalics to start your first time unless you practice. But if your set on it. After you spray your final base coat, dust the entire vehicle lightly to even out the metalic.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:12 PM
High on diesel fumes

Is most of the cost in the prep work? I don't mind filling, sanding, etc...just wondering if I did that how much I could knock off of the bill to have a body shop just shoot the truck rather than have to prep it.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Resident Retard

You will spend a couple hundred in paint and clear. At least a hundred in primer. Hundred in supplies (sand paper, tape, paper, cleaning solvents, etc). Guns 20-200 depending on brand/type. $50 in rubbing compounds, and swirl remover. $100 for a high speed buffer. Pads for the buffer are about $20 each for good ones. So 500-700 i would guess all depends on the color you select. Some colors are $100 a gallon. You will probaly need 2gallons.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Resident Retard

Hmmmm. I was wrong the price of paint has gone way up. Dear lord.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:28 PM
High on diesel fumes

Yeah it's not cheap. I think I might try to find a shop, then work with them to see what I can do to get the costs down. If I do the body work, sanding, and as much of the disassembly as possible that should cut their time down.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it wrapped like Stangkilr did his 05 gmc crewcab

Quick Reply: Who has painted their own truck?